Quantcast

Is it doable to run an oversized stem with standard bars with shims?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I just picked up a new Hope stem which is oversized. Would the bars be less effective (move) if they were shimmed? Or should I buy new bars? The problem is I like to run my levers way off the grip and wondering if the oversized bars won't allow me to do this. I run EA70's and would use the same in an oversized version.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
shouldn't cause a problem; grease it all up and go. marzocchi shim from their bolt on stem would work, or a few other shims are out there as well. so long as you get the right size, and have it wide enough for the stem clamp, shouldn't cause any trouble.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Running shims works fine. Just make sure they line up nicely in relation to the stem, for maximum clamping. (Try and have the space between the shim halves line up with the space betwen the stem and stem face.)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I run shims for my Renthals MX bars to my Std MTB stem. I have never had issues with them moving. And I have been using MX bars since 2000. They are the same diameter at the grips, but don't bulge athe the stem.

The shims came off my old Answer Alumulite DH bars....same straight gauge build. I bought some generic Hbar shims recently frmo a shop and put another Renthal on my XC/trail bike. No problems on that either.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Brian HCM#1 said:
I just picked up a new Hope stem which is oversized. Would the bars be less effective (move) if they were shimmed? Or should I buy new bars? The problem is I like to run my levers way off the grip and wondering if the oversized bars won't allow me to do this. I run EA70's and would use the same in an oversized version.

I would think it should work......if you want, i'll send you the shims from my Marzo 888 stem.....drop me an email if you want.....i'll just throw them in a little package.....they're just wasting space here, so you can have them for free......they might be a little wide, but you could always shave them down, and for free.99 who cares...

IC

lankify@hotmail.com
p.s. let me know quick cause i'm going to the post office soon....

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Ian Collins said:
I would think it should work......if you want, i'll send you the shims from my Marzo 888 stem.....drop me an email if you want.....i'll just throw them in a little package.....they're just wasting space here, so you can have them for free......they might be a little wide, but you could always shave them down, and for free.99 who cares...

IC

lankify@hotmail.com
p.s. let me know quick cause i'm going to the post office soon....
Thanks Ian!!!!! email sent!!!!!

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
RhinofromWA said:
I run shims for my Renthals MX bars to my Std MTB stem. I have never had issues with them moving. And I have been using MX bars since 2000. They are the same diameter at the grips, but don't bulge athe the stem.

The shims came off my old Answer Alumulite DH bars....same straight gauge build. I bought some generic Hbar shims recently frmo a shop and put another Renthal on my XC/trail bike. No problems on that either.

why would u run moto bars????????

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
wydopen said:
why would u run moto bars????????
They are mega strong and I am mega fat. ;)

They are cut to 28inches...have very little sweep and 3 inches of rise. they are the most comfortable bars I have found. They are actually Some Japanese Trials riders bend. 1st noe came with my DH bike....second one was because after tossing the motobar on my trail bike I tried the stock 26 inch bar and felt cramped and unstable. It is personal preference mostly. They are one less thing for me to worry about while doing anything on my bikes.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
OGRipper said:
Looks like Ian's got ya covered, but I don't get it - why'd you buy an oversized stem? Dazzled by the "HOPE" on it? :devil:
Yep Ian dialed me in. I want a new stem, wanted to try the Hope since I get people asking about them. The only negative is the 50mm 0 degree is in oversized only:mumble: It's WAY cooler looking than the Thomson, plus I prefer the stem to clamp to the steerer opposed to being wedged. I know Thomson has the MX version, but that's oversized only too.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA

Brian, get the 31.8mm EA70's, That's what I'm running and I have my brakes (Hopes ;) ) so far inboard of my grips it's not funny. I also cut the bars down about 10mm per side so if you don't cut yours you'll have even more room. The oversize bulge doesn't start until after the bend so the feel and brake mounting will be the same as your standard EA70's. :thumb:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
punkassean said:

Brian, get the 31.8mm EA70's, That's what I'm running and I have my brakes (Hopes ;) ) so far inboard of my grips it's not funny. I also cut the bars down about 10mm per side so if you don't cut yours you'll have even more room. The oversize bulge doesn't start until after the bend so the feel and brake mounting will be the same as your standard EA70's. :thumb:
Hey Sean, whats the rise on those bars?

Jun 11, 2005
i used to run a sic 31.8 stem with dirtworks shimmed ti bars - thats 2 shims and it workd a treat until i dinted the bars on a tree