Quantcast

Is it Friday? Ya It’s Friday

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Expired rotisserie chicken and a can of coke for lunch. Eating like the athlete I am!
FTFY

The grocery store near where I used to live got into a lot of trouble for roasting up all the chickens that needed to be thrown away. Not that it would have ever stopped me from eating one.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
lunch ride achieved. first cold weather ride, managed to get the layers just right.
whatcha wear? I struggle so much with cold weather riding. I have a hat, balaclava, warmish gloves, warm gloves, shoe covers, tights, and I always hate riding in the cold.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
whatcha wear? I struggle so much with cold weather riding. I have a hat, balaclava, warmish gloves, warm gloves, shoe covers, tights, and I always hate riding in the cold.
the LG Providence 2 bibs. got the sizing right first try (was easy since my bib shorts for summer are LG too). an amazon cool weather cycling jersey, 100% brisker gloves, wool socks w/ lake mx145 shoes, a neck gaiter, and ear covers. temps were low 40's and sunny, little to no wind.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Imma hit the trails with my buddy. Cold but not windy anymore, which is nice. He'll coerce me into drinking beers, life's hard.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
wouldn't that depend on the degree of coldness?

I rode at 30°F last night. thin buff on my head (with ear pockets for extra warmth for my delicate ears), merino top, micro fleece vest, (uninsulated) softshell jacket, merino long johns over my shammy, softshell pants, merino socks, Spesh Defroster boots, 100% Brisker gloves. perfect too. I have a microfleece sweater and an arcteryx vest to add to my top as it gets colder, as well as microfleece bib-tights, heated socks, heated gloves, and Rockbros overshoes.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It does depend on the colditude. One of the biggest issues is riding on the road. Even at 40*F, riding blisteringly fast (as I always do) really chills the extremities. My hands and toes get super cold pretty much no matter what and take a while to warm back up. Once they do I'm good, but they ALWAYS go cold then rewarm. On the MTB it's less of an issue because you are generally working harder and moving slower, but on the road you're moving at a good clip with wind because there are no leaves, and even with all the winter gear I have, I'm still a sadboy

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Ah, I see. The heated socks and gloves work great in that scenario. Start with them cranked, then turn down the heat as the body warms up. Or crank up the heat when on the road sections. It's an investment, but it's really helped me enjoy winter riding more. It's a bonus that I can use them for many other winter activities (commuting; skating; nordic, alpine and touring skiing)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I have to translate your ye olde world temperature measurements but it seems 30-40f is right about what my morning commute is 30-40% of the year.
I NEVER get cold feet as I ride mainly in flats and always wear my shoes loose only clipping in on the roadbike and our roads winter treatment simply isn't consistent enough to risk riding 25mm slick tyres below 0degC. (it can often be 5deg colder leaving home than arriving at work in the centre of the City). Properly fitting biking gloves actually make my hands COLDER than riding gloveless so just don't really work for me. (100% briskers are actually painful, same with their other more waterproof winter glove) Seems like it's probably from lack of circulation to my fingers. I've never really worked out why but a thin pair of looser fitting gloves works far better for me between 1-5C than ANY biking gloves. and below 0C I need either a looser pair of wind proof gloves or when much colder insulated winter non biking gloves. (Thinsulate lined etc)
I wear AM45s or skate style (DH)mtb SPD shoes on the roadbike which help tons with windchill and also means they don't need to be done up roadie tight on your feet.

A wee tip for you if you like your shoes laced tight and ride in sub zero conditions is to wrap your toes in tin foil (Aluminiuminum foil to you guys). over your socks before you place them in your shoes. But you still need them to be slightly roomy in the toe section for it to work well.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I've never really worked out why but a thin pair of looser fitting gloves works far better for me between 1-5C than ANY biking gloves. and below 0C I need either a looser pair of wind proof gloves or when much colder insulated winter non biking gloves. (Thinsulate lined etc)
I'm no thermal engineer, but the loose gloves work better because of the air gap. If there is no gap or the fabric is very tight against your skin, your body heat will radiate right through it very easily.

In the winter for fat biking I just wear a pair of hiking pants and some skin hugging leggings under them if its really cold. But with the way the cut on the pants are designed, half the time when I'm pedaling, the fabric its quite taught against the top of my thighs and that is always the first part to get cold. I should really look into better riding pants for when its cold, but if its colder than what those pants can deal with, I probably don't want to go biking out anyways. Thats the "oh damn my eye lashes are freezing together" territory. :p

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
This is becoming relevant to a growing concern of mine. I've always been a fair-weather roadie, but I'm looking to change that this winter. It's a different ball game out here in the Central Valley of the left coast, so I'm hoping just some leg warmers, thinsulate gloves worn underneath cycling gloves and a thermal jersey/jacket do the job. It's mid-forties to mid-fifties during a typical winter day here.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I could never comfortably road ride in the winter, the wind chill and effort just made for a mess. However I comfortably commuted for two winters here. The difference being, like Gary I rode in boots and flats to keep the feet warm. I also always wore a small backpack and would regularly stop and adjust my clothes for the conditions. Start off with a down jacket and end up in just a t-shirt. It also helps a lot maintain a constant effort. Flat routes help as you don't get sweaty pedaling hard up hills to freeze on descents.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I am in the same boat as the other Luddite with regard to gloves. I am often more comfortable without them. When it gets “cold,” loose fitting light gloves work best for me. I think it is a combo of poor circulation and sweat that makes “good” quality “properly “ fitting gloves problematic.

I am also interested in heated socks. My feet will start going numb when it gets down to 40F / 5C. What are folks using?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This is becoming relevant to a growing concern of mine. I've always been a fair-weather roadie, but I'm looking to change that this winter. It's a different ball game out here in the Central Valley of the left coast, so I'm hoping just some leg warmers, thinsulate gloves worn underneath cycling gloves and a thermal jersey/jacket do the job. It's mid-forties to mid-fifties during a typical winter day here.
IMO leg warmers don't cut it in the 40's. the problem isn't so much the cold but the wind. i ponied up for a pair of LG cool weather bibs, and after today's ride IMO worth every penny.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

I wear windproof pants over tights over my regular riding bibs. On top over the bibs go a synthetic T-shirt, a synthetic midweight base layer, then my Gore Tex shell.

I go for ski gloves when it gets really cold fwiw and just deal with the imprecision.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

I wear windproof pants over tights over my regular riding bibs. On top over the bibs go a synthetic T-shirt, a synthetic midweight base layer, then my Gore Tex shell.

I go for ski gloves when it gets really cold fwiw and just deal with the imprecision.
and yet you put your helmet over your hood

:homer:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Should eventually buy a pair of long pants. Putting long xc ski thighs with bike shorts for winter rides. Bike specific pants are not cheap.
I got a pair last year and they are worth it IMO. At leas for the conditions here where it is slightly above freezing and wet.

I think it is actually easier to stay warm when it is well below freezing and you have a good chance of remaining dry.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
That conjures up a very different picture in English.

View attachment 185678
oh right! pants in the UK=underwear in NA. North American 'pants' = trousers in the UK
Should eventually buy a pair of long pants. Putting long xc ski thighs with bike shorts for winter rides. Bike specific pants are not cheap.
I found a pair of pants (er, trousers) made from Schoeller Dryskin fabric on clearance at MEC one time (like 70% off). They were a couple of sizes too big, but I figured at that price, I could get them tailored and then they'd be 'custom'. Worked like a charm. I love that fabric, it's breathable, and sloughs off snow like it's nobody's business. I have another pair that's over 12 years old and is only now starting to wear out in the bum. I wore them for at least 6 seasons of xc skiing and bushwhacking, and another 6 seasons of fatbiking. Seriously impressive stuff.

Also, re gloves: I have a pair of these

OR Aksel 3-finger gloves. The fleece lining and leather are the goldilocks combo from -2°C down to -12°C. Breathable, warm and loose. Can be made waterproof with some Nikwax. The fleece is thin and is bonded to the palm, so it doesn't slip around on the grip. Unfortunately, they seem to have discontinued the 3-finger version. Worth it if you can find a pair.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
It's mid-forties to mid-fifties during a typical winter day here.
Dude. Those are typical temps for quite a lot of our summer.

10C (50F) and above is the point where I ditch any sort of jacket and ride in short sleves.
for some reason my forearms never get cold even well below zero
I never really wearing a jacket at all throughout childhood might have had something to do with it.