Quantcast

Is it hard to find light 24" wheels?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
say for a kids mtb?

There is a killer Schwinn frame on ebay right now for 24" wheels, but I don't want to throw a set of heavy dirt jump wheels on a bike for a soon to be 8 year old boy.

Is it easy to find 24" wheels that are relatively light? I could just run a 26" rigid fork up front on it and be fine right - or if I am using v-brakes the fork has to be 24" specific too huh.

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
i used to have a schwinn when i was a youngin'. still am one, just a very big one. anyways, try just a pair of used rims off of and old 24" bike if you have one lying around or have a friend with one. I'd sell you the ones on my old bike but shipping is very $$$ and it might not be what your looking for, hope that helps alittle, probably won't but oh well.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'm not sure if it would be worth it to build the frame up, however it is a sweet Schwinn frame from back in the Homegrown and Moab days. Not a Schwinn Wal Mart era POS.

The ebay seller is fairly local so I could pick up the frame and save on shipping.

Just thought it would/could be a fun project for me to do for my son.

I mean this is a pretty cool lookin frame isn't it?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah, grab a set of mountain hubs and lace them to BMX rims...you could even use BMX tires to shed weight and still get good traction. If he's young he probably doesn't need 2.5" tires.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
well I can't go spendin a whole ton of money on this - it has to be sorta like Liam's bike project where I was able to buy used or barter for items.