Quantcast

is it just me or are bike trends getting old?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
And here I was just trying to contribute to the actual discussion - trends of people buying certain brands of bikes. Weird.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
Behold, the power of suggestion. When everyone says that a V-10 is the best bike out there, you start to believe it yourself.

Admittedly, that's how I ended up with the yeti. The racers on the local club were raving about them and before I know it, I'm an owner.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
BurlyShirley said:
Please explain "super boutique" to me. SC makes their high end stuff in the states, with some very nice fab. How is a yeti different than that?
Basically you can walk into several different bike shops and find SC bikes. You won't walk into may shops and find Yeti's hanging on the wall.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Brian HCM#1 said:
Basically you can walk into several different bike shops and find SC bikes. You won't walk into may shops and find Yeti's hanging on the wall.
There is a discussion a Yeti Pro and I have about Yeti and SC. While we both work in a Nor Cal shop, he claims Yeti's are as popular in Colorado, their home, as SC is here.

What makes a frame "boutique"? My shop is also a Seven dealer, and while your only choice for a FS bike is a titanium Mono-Link, you can have built to a "custom" geometry.

Boutique to me mean more options offered than a "major", whether it is frame designs, custom geometry, component groups, or even more than one color.

One might not care about that kind of stuff, which is why there is a Kona in my fleet of bikes. But the discriminating rider might require something only a smaller builder can offer. Whether this rider needs this feature or not is another discussion.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
dogwonder said:
Behold, the power of suggestion. When everyone says that a V-10 is the best bike out there, you start to believe it yourself.

Admittedly, that's how I ended up with the yeti. The racers on the local club were raving about them and before I know it, I'm an owner.
Totally,what people think of a product totally influences my thinking, at least in as much as wanting to research andthe product before i slap down my dollars. Sure marketing plays its role, but by in large i think that trends are formed by people recognising quality and wanting it for themselves.

Quality products set trends, then the copy cats ride the coat tails.

Someone earlier asked why konas are still around...

1. marketing....the only people i see on them are newbies
2. price...cheap as chips
3. quality....in terms of longevity, not innovation or design

As for the Fabian argument....when was the last time he rode a stock set up?

Trends come and go, but quality remains....the D2, mavic rims, high rollers, hope brakes etc etc

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
Demomonkey said:
Totally,what people think of a product totally influences my thinking, at least in as much as wanting to research andthe product before i slap down my dollars. Sure marketing plays its role, but by in large i think that trends are formed by people recognising quality and wanting it for themselves.

Quality products set trends, then the copy cats ride the coat tails.

Someone earlier asked why konas are still around...

1. marketing....the only people i see on them are newbies
2. price...cheap as chips
3. quality....in terms of longevity, not innovation or design

As for the Fabian argument....when was the last time he rode a stock set up?

Trends come and go, but quality remains....the D2, mavic rims, high rollers, hope brakes etc etc
1. Kona is not newbie bike company just becuase they happen to offer a large product range in which new many riders find their first bike.

2. Some of their higher end bikes, Coilair, Stab Supreme, Stinky Supreme... are far from cheap and generally require few upgrades from most riders.

3. As for their quality, the frames are quite solid and the suspension design works well... while companies change their suspension design more often.

Since when do any racers use stock bikes? Many manufacturers even go so far as to make prototypes or limited production series frames for their racers.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
stevew said:
hahaha, just a little sensitive.

I don't recall ever being a prick to you, but whatever sunshine.
I just needed a bowl & a glass of vino, sweetie. ;)

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
biggins said:
everyone wanted and Evil Emperial then a a DOC or an endless then everyone wanted some other hard tail that i am forgetting now everyone is getting a Union (which out of all those is my favortie).

i just dont understand the way these trends work. with a few exceptions none of the bikes are ground breaking in any way shape or form. i am not knocking the bikes at all they are damn fine and well crafted machines it is just amazing to me for some reason. I think we should start a betting pool to see which bike is gonna be the next trend.......

QUOTE]

I wish everyone was getting a Union-street. :cool:

I think the USB Molly Maguire and the Fall Guy really fill a void no other frames do.

http://www.unionstreetbikes.com

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
The last trend I followed was the long travel trailbike trend and to me that was a good trend to follow. I also followed the Time ATAC trend years ago, but again... that trend made sense to me. All these latest ones are minute performance increases that cost tons of money or simply just style changes.

Personally I tend to buy my bikes and parts based solely on functionality, logic, and price. Trends be damned.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Full Trucker said:
I think "trends" are very regionally based. For instance... biggins is said that a few years ago "everyone wanted Banshee or Turner Dhr, then everyone wanted a VP-Free, etc..." But here in Colorado, I never really noticed a Banshee or Turner trend. Here we get Yeti (big time) and Specialized, some Kona's, a LOT of Santa Cruz, Intense.
The Front Range is a harsh environment. Weak and trendy lightweights break (ellsworth, Cannondale, etc). Frames will be pedaled uphill first, then thrashed on the DH.... they need to be strong and with a good warranty.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
BurlyShirley said:
Why would you categorize "Yeti" in the same group as "Foes and BMW" and "Santa Cruz" w/ Spec and Giant? Yeti and SC are about the same thing, neither on par w/ Foes or BMW, but both different than Spec and Giant. Yetis are fine, but don't go overboard now.
I have no idea why yeti would be categorized in anything other than garbage. I see these things creaking and breaking all the time around here.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
lovebunny said:
yeah thats just like california. in socal everyone and there mother has a turner DHR or an M3 but in norcal everyone has v10s with fox 40s
Wow, My theory is correct. Norcal peeps are smarter!:rofl: