Quantcast

Is it me or does Norton AV suck?!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
syadasti said:
Are you sure you are not confusing it with symantec corporate edition - it uses a different AV engine and works very well?
Possibly. I have a couple of different copies gained from ahem, privateer operations (Arrrgh!). They could be corporate editions.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Norton subscription is up and I'm ready to dump it for AVG.

Here's the question - what about the "internet security"? Aren't the windows firewalls etc adequate, and to have Norton on top of it, overkill?

Also, the one Norton thing I like is the anti-spam. It seems pretty trainable. Is there something else that works similar?

thanks

gg

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Norton subscription is up and I'm ready to dump it for AVG.

Here's the question - what about the "internet security"? Aren't the windows firewalls etc adequate, and to have Norton on top of it, overkill?

Also, the one Norton thing I like is the anti-spam. It seems pretty trainable. Is there something else that works similar?

thanks

gg
I have the ZoneAlarm software firewall. I personally don't trust M$ to do a firewall. :p

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
zonealarm is not an antispam engine, though, it's not the kind you can train to automatically send certain types of thing to the junk folder. Or, is it?
Or am I thinking of Spybot...?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Does anyone use the AVG anti-spyware?

edit: I was talking to someone and they said that AVG is better than most pay anti-virus programs, but NOD32 is a lot better. BV, do you think it's much better. I found it for $24 somewhere.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
edit: I was talking to someone and they said that AVG is better than most pay anti-virus programs, but NOD32 is a lot better. BV, do you think it's much better. I found it for $24 somewhere.
Well, err, a virus scanner either does its job, or it doesn't. Everything else is just user interface or system resources. I like AVG because it hardly uses any system resources but still does a good job.

I've never used NOD32, but they have an excellent track record with Virus Bulletin. For me... I don't see why I'd ever pay for a virus scanner, since there are so many good free ones. $24 is a lot of beer :D

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Well, err, a virus scanner either does its job, or it doesn't. Everything else is just user interface or system resources. I like AVG because it hardly uses any system resources but still does a good job.

I've never used NOD32, but they have an excellent track record with Virus Bulletin. For me... I don't see why I'd ever pay for a virus scanner, since there are so many good free ones. $24 is a lot of beer :D
Good point. I'll just stick with AVG, which I really like. :cheers: :lighten: