Quantcast

Is it possible that my caliper is bent?

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
I have been having trouble with my front brake caliper for the last month or so. It is a Hayes mechanical brake. The first think I did was to replace my pads. Upon doing so, I noticed that the inside (stationary) pad looks like it is toed in to the rotor. That is, the outermost part of the rotor contacts the inner pad before the rest of the rotor contacts the pad. The old pads also look like they had worn unevenly, like one pad had been toed in. The outer pad seems to be aligned correctly (parallel to the rotor).

I have a Marzocchi Z1. The caliper is bolted to an adaptor for 8" rotors, and I have a standard Hayes 6-bolt 8" rotor. I put on a new front wheel today and the rotor had a slight wobble in it but is not dished to either side. The problem persists with the new wheel. Brake power sucks because 90% of the rotor does not make contact with the inner brake pad. I have tried adjusting the brake . . . everything is snugged up. The caliper itself is held together by two bolts that I could not loosen.

I would think that the new pads are not seated properly, but the irregular wear pattern on the old pads suggests otherwise. I would think that I need to have my fork mounts faced, but this setup worked fine last year.

All this . . . and a pair of avid BB7's are sitting across from me. I told myself that I would burn through the pads I have now, then install the avids . . . :clue: :mumble: :rolleyes: :help:

EDIT: I cleaned my rotor today with isopropyl alcohol today and it howled / resonated on my ride. Is this just the rotor getting dirty again or is it a result of the fubar caliper?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Sounds like something is wrong with the caliper to me. I guess it'd be hard to bend a caliper but not impossible. Or maybe you've bent the mount on the fork or the adaptor... The adaptor might be easiest to bend actually.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Maybe the adaptor is bent. This is driving me nuts . . . it makes no sense, unless I am over looking something.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
When I think of a Hayes Mech caliper...it doesnt strike me as something that could really bend.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Grr . . . fed up with the LBS :mumble:

Adaptor and fork are both gouged because the adaptor did not totally clear part of the lowers on the fork. I am guessing that the not-seated-properly adaptor was the culprit.