Quantcast

Is it possible to increase muscle density?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
For example, when I feel my legs no matter how relaxed they are always very firm. But my biceps unless I am flexing, normally feel squishy...

I primarily do a strength training style of workout where I do 2-3 sets of 10 reps and lift as much weight as it takes that I can't do more than 12 reps. But I have been stuck curling 60lbs for what seems like forever. I am getting decent definition of my bicep but I don't feel like I am progressing much. I don't want really huge arms either, just nicely firm and shaped.

Any suggestions?

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Two options (well more but these are easy)
1)Drop the weight and go with higher reps.

When I hit a plateau I bring the weight down and do sets with up to 50 reps. It shocks your muscles into growing and getting stronger again.

2)Change the way you lift.
If you normally use a bar switch to dumbells. Or look into bands, cables.

Weight lifting is a trained movement for the muscle. After a while they get used to doing things a certain way. Things like low weight high reps or large rubber bands work the muscle differently and make it work again. Hope this helps.

jeremy155rr

Chimp
Oct 8, 2004
c r e a t i n e drink lots of water plenty o protien there are alot of cell volumizing supplements out there that are suppossed to supply oxygen to your muscles for better transfer of nutrients etc.. no idea if they work, i'd have to call hype on those except for the famed epo is pretty much the same thing.

if your hitting a plateau on your arms try looking up diff variations of arm exercises (zottman curls and 21's or 5up 5downs work wonders) 21's and 5up 5downs are slow endurance type curls (bench bar) kind of like doing negatives on a bench.

i try to do 8 reps normally (10 is too easy) but if i can get those easily i'll move up (small increments) untill getting 6 reps is hard then work on that then so on and so on. if i can't get growth or gains out of the several dozen curl variations i have i may try RESTING or working on my tris a little harder and doing hi reps on my bis like the other guy said.

oh yeah why would you want your legs softer (or were you just pointing that out as comparison to your arms?) because thats what you want, that pump in your legs represents your muscles getting full blood and nutrient supply and rebuilding. if i don't leave the gym with some serious pump in my muscle group for that day i really wasted my time. but i'd say zottman curls, concentration curls, 21's and 5up 5downs have great pump potential. fyi:

zottman curls: just like alternating dumbell curls only after you've completing the lift of the dumbell (with your palm out going up) turn the dumbell around so that your palm is away from you going down.. control the descent.

21's: grab a bench bar (35-45lb depending on type add weight if you can) hands about shoulder width apart. first do 7 reps only going 1/4 of the distance up. 2nd do 7 reps going 1/2 the distance up. third 7 reps going all the way up. really concentrate on squeezing the muscle at the top

5up 5downs: pretty much just basic bar curls (bench bar works best) control the rep 5 seconds going up and 5 seconds going down.

if your not tearing and rebuilding with some of those routines your not getting enough fuel in your diet for muscle growth. i figured you'd know what concentration curls are standing cable curls (one hand from each side not pulling from the floor) are a good change up also but prolly won't yield very much benefit. try taking a break on the bis and working on tris (weight assisted dips or a pusdown machine, cables etc..) if you don't really like doing some of the more unconventional exercises try closing your bis day with concentration curls to get a good pump b4 you leave the gym to get some protien. do them until failure = serious pump to where you can't bend your arm to touch your ears.

CMT2B

Chimp
Nov 4, 2004
Loveland, Colorado
Well, I'll tell you, your muscles should be pliable and loose when not flexed. Trying to have rock hard muscles at rest will cause serious chronic pain in the years to come. You should be able to sink your hands thru any muscle group to feel the bone.

I don't think the actual density of muscles can change - that's genetic. The size of the fibers can change, however. That's how they grow. But your greatest generation of strength will come through maximum Range of Motion. If you over work a muscle group and decrease your range of motion potential, you'll actually lose strength overall.

Best bet for a more "muscular" appearance - burn all the fat you can. The muscles are there, but maybe not as visible. AND, now that the fibers are big (60lbs is a lot of weight to curl), stretch them and make them longer.

Just my $.02

CMT2B

Chimp
Nov 4, 2004
Loveland, Colorado
Problem solved. Colonial dudes used to put wood inserts into their stockings to make it look like they had big calfs...chicks use silicone to make it look like they have something worth paying for...why not bicep implants