Quantcast

Is it safe to drill out a presta rim?

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
hey guys, i just got a 5.1 dt swiss rim built up its got a presta hole, im wondering if its safe to drill the hole to accept a shraeder stem for this kind of rim thanks

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
Heres how I do it:

Step one: Take your drill and drill bits and move them far away from the rim
Step two: go to your local bike shop and buy presta tubes
Step three: install presta tubes
Step four: enjoy your newfound intelligence

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
It´s ok, but when I had a hard hit and flatted the rim just there, it lost it´s shape more than normally with that kind of hit. Normally it just gets buckled, but still stays pretty round. I do think it gets a little weaker.
I´ve drilled four 5.1 and it has worked pretty well. They don´t last long anyway.

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
anyone else have opinions thats done or had the specific dt swiss 5.1 rim drilled from presta to a shraeder? it seens the hole of the presta now the diameter is just meeting the where the rim starts to curve, so if this rim is drilled seems it would go into the sides of the rim a bit..

Motoking16

Monkey
May 16, 2005
Bend, OR
Heres how I do it:

Step one: Take your drill and drill bits and move them far away from the rim
Step two: go to your local bike shop and buy presta tubes
Step three: install presta tubes
Step four: enjoy your newfound intelligence
For real dude.

xemini: This has to be a joke. You are talking about a $3 part. 3 f'iing dollars dude, could be a dang fast food commercial.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
WTF? You guys are ridiculous.

YES, it's perfectly safe to carefully drill out your rim to accept shraeder valves. Once you drill it, carefully de-burr it using a small file or something to ensure you don't cut your tubes on the sharp edges.

It's not going to be weakened by any meaningful amount, no more than a pre-drilled shraeder rim would be. I have to ask the above posters how, exactly, they believe the manufacturers drill valve holes? Do you guys believe it's some kind of magical laser cut hole that is different from doing it yourself?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I would recommend using a t-handle reamer rather than a drill bit. More precise, easier to control the size, and leaves a cleaner finish.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Yes, drill it. Binary and bull crew are correct.

Why do people tell him to go and buy a presta tube? Could there be another reson he needs a schader valve? Maybe a Stan's tubeless kit?

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I would recommend using a t-handle reamer rather than a drill bit. More precise, easier to control the size, and leaves a cleaner finish.
I'll second that, most shops should have that tool, I know mine does. It's much better than a power tool. Just clean it up with a rat tail file as mentioned.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Yes, drill it. Binary and bull crew are correct.

Why do people tell him to go and buy a presta tube? Could there be another reson he needs a schader valve? Maybe a Stan's tubeless kit?
Stans kits are available for presta valve wheels.

To be exact, its an 11/32 dril bit you will want to use then debur it with a rattail as Bullcrew said.

Curious myself, what is your reasoning for not just running the presta?

John M

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
S/E Mich (pancake)
Curious myself, what is your reasoning for not just running the presta?

How about this......... Hey I got yet one more flat buddy..... Do you have a tube???? Yes I do but its not a presta pal...... Guess I will sit around the rest of the day not riding....... Darn I wish I would have drilled out this rim........ Maybe??- JM

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
How about this......... Hey I got yet one more flat buddy..... Do you have a tube???? Yes I do but its not a presta pal...... Guess I will sit around the rest of the day not riding....... Darn I wish I would have drilled out this rim........ Maybe??- JM
HEy sorry bro, I only brought enough tubes for myself. Oh and only enough patches if I have five flats......

Sorry, had to be a smartass there.

For the record, I never said not too, I even gave the actual size drill bit instead of offering something thats more than over half an inch.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I don't know why the original poster is doing it, but I've drilled out a few rims.

-DH tubes are often in schrader; the lbs I worked in and still sometimes go to never carried presta DH tubes.
-Scrhader works better with the pressure gauges I have.
-The pump I own sometimes damages presta valve cores (particularly if I'm not careful), but has never damaged a schrader valve.
-In a pinch, a presta tube can be used in a schrader valve rim, but you cannot use a schrader valve in a presta rim. I have a ton of schrader valve tubes sitting around; I usually drill out DH rims so I can use them.

Enough reasons for everyone?

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
I reckon the makers of Mavic rims have the right idea, one of my bikes came with XM117's and they had presta tubes. Being naive I didn't know there was a difference in hole diameter and assumed a schrader would fit, so carried a schrader spare. When I did get a flat on the trail I was pleasantly surprised that the rims had plastic sleeve type inserts which you just take out to run a schrader. I don't know why more manufacturers don't do this - then we chan have the choice either way.

Not to mention it is much easier to put slime in schrader tubes!

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I would love to spend half of an afternoon in some of these people's heads. I can't imagine what can possess someone to even begin to contemplate arguing this point.

Will I drill my rims??? No.

Will I ever question someone else doing it??? No.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
yep just drill it and have no worries. i have done it on many wheels with no problems at all.

also like others have said most dh tubes are schrader only. also schrader valves are just plain easier to use.