Quantcast

Is it shytty...

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
Who thinks an 03 rig is too old. Bought an 03 Giant DH team for 650 complete w/ 03 Super T Pro. Is the technology out-dated and look into new frame or is it a good bike

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Who thinks an 03 rig is too old. Bought an 03 Giant DH team for 650 complete w/ 03 Super T Pro. Is the technology out-dated and look into new frame or is it a good bike
Dh teams were strong bikes so I see no reason you shouldn't stick with it. The parts may be more worrying than the frame.

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
^^^ the parts are the least worrying to me. they frame was bought by a mechanic in 03, built up custom from scratch, and hardly ridden. solid holzefeller cranks, great azonic bars, MAG brakes, custom AtomLab front wheel and Ringle rear wheel, stupid Giant chainguide replaced with a gerryrigged MRP but creates an amazing and secure chainline, just to name a few of the specs. Overall I like the bike, and being that i have less than 3 grand to my name it was incredible for my budget. I just worry that a 7 yr old bike might not be able to handle another race season

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
that's a good buy al c holic and it should be good for another dh season . i'm still rockin' an '02 m1 and love it .

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the one thing i'd recommend replacing are the brakes.

and keep an eye on your linkage parts, make sure you keep them clean and the bolts tight. i have a buddy with one and he hosed one of the bolts or something and had a hell of a time finding a replacement.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
If the bike works for you, I see no reason to update it. I se alot of ametuer/sport level riders that get a new bike every year because they have an internal need to have the latest and greatest.... they think it makes them a better rider, when in reality they still havent learned all the quirks of the last bike. What I am saying is, that even with some older technology, the bike is still more than capable of performing without issue, as long as the rider belives it, learns the bike, and rides..... All will be well

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
and keep an eye on your linkage parts, make sure you keep them clean and the bolts tight. i have a buddy with one and he hosed one of the bolts or something and had a hell of a time finding a replacement.
I'll second this. Keeping everything tight is key...

Giant still offers pivot kits for this bike. I assume your friend didn't want to throw down for the whole package?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
No reason it can't work...but I'm not a big fan of that fork. I haven't spent a ton of time on them, but every fork of that era from zokes felt pretty crappy. That's an easy upgrade, and a pretty significant change.

If you're dying for an update, pick up an older boxxer team. If not, ride it until it breaks.

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
No reason it can't work...but I'm not a big fan of that fork. I haven't spent a ton of time on them, but every fork of that era from zokes felt pretty crappy. That's an easy upgrade, and a pretty significant change.

If you're dying for an update, pick up an older boxxer team. If not, ride it until it breaks.
I've ridden a couple of Junior T's, and 01 and an 03 and liked em well enough, the one thing that bugged me was the damping. I don't mind the way you adjust it, I just can't get it stiff enough for my liking. maybe i'm just fat and there's my problem.
but being that my knees jacked right now i gotta wait a couple months to actually get a good ride in on the Super T. I'll see how it is.
Ya i wanna get a whole new linkage kit if I can, the bearings aren't broken yet but the seals are a bit cracked, and it's overall dirty. I'll clean what i can and replace what i must.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory

Every fork from that era felt crappy?

The 03 Super T is a legend. It doesn't feel crappy - even next to a lot of the hypedy hiype stuff of today.

The SSV stuff always felt like ass, but the good stuff was REAL good until 08, then the bottom fell out.

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
shouldn't you ask such questions BEFORE you buy anything?
ya i'm notorious to start looking LONG after i've leaped. i don't and never have denied i'm a dumba$$.

It was the best deal i think i could come across, especially since the guy dropped an extra 100 bills off the price just to take it that day. and it was still better than the 01 bighit i'd be riding if it hadn't been stolen last spring.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
^^^ the parts are the least worrying to me. they frame was bought by a mechanic in 03, built up custom from scratch, and hardly ridden. solid holzefeller cranks, great azonic bars, MAG brakes, custom AtomLab front wheel and Ringle rear wheel, stupid Giant chainguide replaced with a gerryrigged MRP but creates an amazing and secure chainline, just to name a few of the specs. Overall I like the bike, and being that i have less than 3 grand to my name it was incredible for my budget. I just worry that a 7 yr old bike might not be able to handle another race season
Yeah but it's not the part names but their age. Even if he rode it a couple of times a year 7 years of riding and I'd be veeeeeery afraid of that bars.

btw. How much was the full bike? Also read the previous dirt about a guy with a dh team and an eye for ebay ;)

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
btw. How much was the full bike? Also read the previous dirt about a guy with a dh team and an eye for ebay ;)
Guy was askin 800 but got it cheaper. I told him i'd tentatively offer 750 till i saw some more bikes, and he said if i just took away that day he'd drop an extra 100. totally complete bike for 650!! i really just couldn't argue with that.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I love my giant dh. Throw a decent 8.75x2.75 shock on it and that lowers it and makes it handle so much better. Its a tank frame but for 650 thats not bad.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Good deal for $650. The 03 Super T was a great fork; the compression damping was a little on the soft side but you can just put in some heavier weight oil.

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
ya that's what i think i'll do. i need to get on Marzocchi's website and try to find a pdf manual for it or something so i can check on what oil weights i can use, spring replacements, all that. overall it feels good, not a scratch on it, doesn't leak a bit. i'm more worried about the manitou swinger in the back. think i might just replace it.