Quantcast

Is it time for a new frame?

TMaster

Chimp
Jun 25, 2006
G-town, TX
I bought a 2000 stumpjumper Pro M2 a few years ago, and only got to ride it about 300 miles since because of serious allergy problems. But Im almost ready to get back out and hit the trails again.

This bike has been through a lot, id say about 2000+ miles. I had to replace the rims becasue the sides were almost through from the Vbrakes wear. I also replaced the BB, main gear, deralliers, etc.. It has been maintained decently, but not like a new bike.

The frame looks the worst, has a couple dents in the bottom tube, and has the paint wore off in hundreds of places. The worst being the hub mounting areas, and chain/gear area. Small crack where the seatpost clamp ring goes on. But theres no other cracks anywhere that I can see. The rider before me was light like me, Im about 140LB's skinny.

My question is should I be thinking about getting a different frame if im going to be jumping off of 2-3 foot ledges? Riding this bike about 15 miles a week on the rocky trails. Im worried that the frame has been stressed from so much use.

what would you do?

crackhead

Chimp
Feb 2, 2005
doesn't specialized still have a life time warrenty on the frames? you can see about getting a replacement. It is realy strange to have a crack around the seat post clamp.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
you don't have a digicam to take a picture of that crack, do you? how big is it?you say it's where the seatpost clamp goes on. is it a couple millimeters wide and at the very top of the seat tube? or is it on a weld? if it's at the very top of the seattube, it's supposed to be there. that's a slot so that the tube can clamp the seat post. If it's down by the weld, well, it's a crack, and Specialized may very well send you a new frame.

TMaster

Chimp
Jun 25, 2006
G-town, TX
Just an update, specialized only warranty's frames that are from the original owner. Like most of the other makers.

I took the bike down to the local dealer that the original owner bought it from back in 2000. They said that they registered the bike when they sold it to him. They said they couldn't warranty it for me. I even contacted the original owner to let him know the situation. He said he would talk to them If i wanted. So i'd have to give the bike to him and have him take it in. Even though it was bought at that store, and the orginal owner said it was ok, and he even races with them, they wouldn't do it for me. heh They said to have the guy take it to another store and do it under his name. I don't really want to bother that with him, so I'm going to buy a frame or bike instead.

It kinda sucks that only the original owner gets the warranty. I guess there cutting down on theft, old bikes in the dumpsters comming in, and making people want to buy new. They should have some kind of Registration transfer!!! but they don't... The poor second hand guy gets the shaft.