Quantcast

Is it Worth the extra $$ for the Canon Powershot Pro 1 over the G6?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I know there are some photographers out there..... My Canon G5 Got Stolen (I'm pretty sure) and I'm getting a new one. Is it worth the extra money for the Pro 1 over the G6?

I loved my G5, and am definantly getting another Canon

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
DHracer1067 said:
get like a digital rebel or used 10d instead of the pro 1. A digital slr is soooo much better than any of the top of the line point and shoot digital cameras
Well I've tried the digi reb, I wouldn;t spend the money on it. Seeing as they're coming out with it's replacement any day now...Also I was going to buy a 10d used but I couldn;t rationalize the extra cost of all the lenses and the amount of photography i do. I got a nikon 8800 very happy with it. Canon is awesome with their dslr cameras but if I was thinking of getting the pro 1 I would get what I have. I spend t ages trying to decide between all the different 8mp compact cameras.

Whats the price diff between the G6? and waht do you generally do with your photos?

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
JMAC said:
Also I was going to buy a 10d used but I couldn;t rationalize the extra cost of all the lenses and the amount of photography i do.
All steven has is the 18-55 lens that came with the digi rebel. It does limit you a little bit but eventually youll just learn to work around it. And with a camera with huge amounts of megapixels you can easily just crop is a bit closer if you need to.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
DHracer1067 said:
All steven has is the 18-55 lens that came with the digi rebel. It does limit you a little bit but eventually youll just learn to work around it. And with a camera with huge amounts of megapixels you can easily just crop is a bit closer if you need to.
I just know for myself I would have ended up always saving money to buy new lenses. Like a nice huge telephoto :drool:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've no experience with either, though I've shot quite a bit with a G5 and was very happy with it, but I'd pay the extra coin simply for the longer zoom lens. In theory, the glass on the Pro 1 is better as well, but from the reviews I've read, it seems that it's not much better than the G6.

You do only get a 2.4 max aperture with the Pro 1 though, so if shooting in low light situations is your gig, the G6 gives you a little bit of an edge.

edit: I peeked at the specs for both of them, and the Pro 1 comes with no AF assist lamp. That seems really bizarre - and that's another point to the G6 if you shoot in low light a lot. The zoom, to me, would probably still be worth it though, plus you get a better wide angle (28 on the Pro 1 vs. 35 on the G6).

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
binary visions said:
I've no experience with either, though I've shot quite a bit with a G5 and was very happy with it, but I'd pay the extra coin simply for the longer zoom lens. In theory, the glass on the Pro 1 is better as well, but from the reviews I've read, it seems that it's not much better than the G6.

You do only get a 2.4 max aperture with the Pro 1 though, so if shooting in low light situations is your gig, the G6 gives you a little bit of an edge.

edit: I peeked at the specs for both of them, and the Pro 1 comes with no AF assist lamp. That seems really bizarre - and that's another point to the G6 if you shoot in low light a lot. The zoom, to me, would probably still be worth it though, plus you get a better wide angle (28 on the Pro 1 vs. 35 on the G6).

Well if you really need the AF assist you can always get a flash with one.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
DHracer1067 said:
Well if you really need the AF assist you can always get a flash with one.
Of course, but one of the points to having an "all-in-one" camera is just that - it's all in one. Grab it and go - no other equipment necessary. A big benefit of these cameras for an amature photographer is not having to lug a ton of equipment around. The flash is a minor thing, of course, but hey - one more piece is one more piece and I'd rather have the option of not carrying the flash.

That's not, of course, to say that everyone shouldn't own an external flash - it's an important tool. Just to say that if I was going to photograph my girlfriend's family Superbowl party, I might be shooting in some rooms that would benefit from the AF assist and I don't want to fuss with another piece of hardware.

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
I bought the pro 1 at the beginning of December.

I think it's a great camera. One thing i really like about it that other non-dslr don't offer is the focus/zoom ring. It's as fast or slow as i want it to be. with the other cameras i have used that had a small dial or button I found it cumbersome.

What is the price difference?

If i was doing it again, i might have tried to find a used 10d and some deal on a flash. but when i bought it i was really focused an making sure it was compact. I take a camera in a backpack when i bike and climb all the time.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I use my camera to shoot riding, and for professional resumé stuff. I am (going to be) a lighting designer, and one of the most important things I can have is good pictures. The last show I did, everyone said my pictures with my G5 were way better than the professionals. at the last competition I went to, EVERYONE complimented me on my pictures.

I have an old Canon AE-1 with a nice zoom lens (35-200)((I think)) and went to digital because its SO much easier. Look at my pictures, use the ones I want, not get them all devloped. (Now, if I still had access to a Dark Room, I wouldn't even know what a digital camera was....)

So.... with all that being said, I want the Pro 1 or G6 because of:

Large formats,
good resolution (I still had problems with my G5 on Superfine in the largest format with blowing up stuff to crop)
price point

I would LOVE to get a digital SLR, but I dont have ones in my price range, and if there were, they would probably suck.

The G6 is on sale at Worst Buy for ~$530
The Pro1 is at Worst Buy for ~$800

If I were gonna go with the Pro1, i'd shop around to find it more around $600, which is my maximum.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I say go with the Pro 1....seeing as you won;t buy anything but canon and 600$ won;t get you a dslr and/or any lenses with it...

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Oh yeah, another thing i really like about the G-Series cannon is the Interval shooting. Where I can set it up on a tripod and it will take a picture for me every minute, or whatever I set it at.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
JMAC said:
I say go with the Pro 1....seeing as you won;t buy anything but canon and 600$ won;t get you a dslr and/or any lenses with it...
I'll go with somthing besides Canon, if the quality is there. The only reason I'm looking at the G6 and stuff is because I loved my G5 so much :love:

And this is to whoever stole it :nuts:!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
OK, all this talk about the 10D has got me thinking........ I would LOVE a Digital SLR. I guess it would be worth the extra mulah, but here is my question. I dont konw much about dslr's. Because its an SLR, is the quality the same with the 6.3 MP 10D as it is with the 8MP Pro1?

and.... my lenses off my AE-1 are not compatible because they are not AF, right?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BigMike said:
OK, all this talk about the 10D has got me thinking........ I would LOVE a Digital SLR. I guess it would be worth the extra mulah, but here is my question. I dont konw much about dslr's. Because its an SLR, is the quality the same with the 6.3 MP 10D as it is with the 8MP Pro1?

and.... my lenses off my AE-1 are not compatible because they are not AF, right?
Whether or not your lenses are compatible depends on the camera. I believe the lenses still work but I don't think you get any kind of metering (edit: that's a tidbit I picked up somewhere and can't find a reference so I'm really not sure it's accurate, just something I remember. I'll letcha know if I find the source :D )

As far as megapixels go, 6 megapixel or 8 megapixel doesn't even matter in the slightest, so don't worry about it. You need to quadruple the number of megapixels to just double the resolution. The 6 megapixel DSLR will give far superior images to an 8+ megapixel point-and-shoot.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
binary visions said:
As far as megapixels go, 6 megapixel or 8 megapixel doesn't even matter in the slightest, so don't worry about it. You need to quadruple the number of megapixels to just double the resolution. The 6 megapixel DSLR will give far superior images to an 8+ megapixel point-and-shoot.
Thats what I thought, thanks :thumb:

Its moreso the size of the picture I guess, and the 10D shoots at 3072 x 2048

Skookum said:
i really have nothing good to add here but i can't wait til i get a real camera too..... :p

Thanks Skooks, that was an amazingly insightful post :p

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BigMike said:
Thats what I thought, thanks :thumb:

Its moreso the size of the picture I guess, and the 10D shoots at 3072 x 2048
Well, the size of the picture determines its megapixels. What I'm saying, though, is that a 6.2 Megapixel gives you a 3072x2048 image, while an 8 megapixel image is only 3264x2448 - an increase of a mere 200 pixels on one side and 400 on the other. That's so small as to be of almost no consequence whatsoever.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I wanted a good Digital camera but didn't want to deal with changing lenses. Wanted a camera with descent manual features, without being too overwhelming; something that I could quickly take pics with - but good clear ones.

I also wanted the option of using a flash – so I went with the G6. I’m pretty happy so far. Although I thought it would be small enough for me to carry on rides, but it’s still a bit bulky for my taste. But with the $$ I saved by not buying an SLR – I could probably get a smaller S500 to carry with me.

Got to admit tho...nothing takes "clearer" pics than a good SLR – but reality is, I’m not a professional photographer.