Quantcast

Is Lance finally busted?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
What could they possibly be hoping to achieve, so many years later?

Without a positive blood sample, there is no smoking gun. They're trying to pin him on testimony, and if they do manage to get the committee to strip him of titles/money, he's going to turn around and file an immediate lawsuit. The lawsuit has a pretty good chance of succeeding, too, since - again - there's no smoking gun, and the whole case has been handled badly for so long.

It's ridiculous that this is still even up in the air. The case should have been dropped years ago. What a waste of money, time, and resources.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
What could they possibly be hoping to achieve, so many years later?

Without a positive blood sample, there is no smoking gun. They're trying to pin him on testimony, and if they do manage to get the committee to strip him of titles/money, he's going to turn around and file an immediate lawsuit. The lawsuit has a pretty good chance of succeeding, too, since - again - there's no smoking gun, and the whole case has been handled badly for so long.

It's ridiculous that this is still even up in the air. The case should have been dropped years ago. What a waste of money, time, and resources.
Quiet you!

Hero turns villain?? There's no better plot-line. People eat this sh1t up!!

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
So happy now I finally do not have to answer question from my non bike riders who ask me if he is a doper.

Wait there is doping in pro wrestling - I am depressed. Hulk say it ain't so

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
So happy now I finally do not have to answer question from my non bike riders who ask me if he is a doper.

Wait there is doping in pro wrestling - I am depressed. Hulk say it ain't so

The yellow of the Livestrong band matches Hulksters yellow...hmmm...just thinking out loud...

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
seems like there has been some type of personal vengence against LA. no one can just like a success story for what it is. someone has to go and poke holes in it because they don't agree with it. and in some cases that's fine, when it's called for it should be done. I kinda wish LA didn't give up, just to see what happened. if he is innocent and those pointing the fingers are just jealous, then what has this all proved? kid cry's wolf, but no sign of wolf, and everyone believes him isn't good. rumors and conjecture aren't evidence.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
There were rules. He broke them that is all. Not any different than tons of other bike riders or athletes who have been convicted. His PR team has just been able to create a lot of goodwill and spin much better than other has.

And lets not feel so sorry for Lance he seems to be doing pretty good much better than most other dopers that have been caught.

His 330,000 gallons of water use Texas mansion

http://www.architecturaldigest.com/celebrity-homes/2008/lance-armstrong-home-article

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
While Lance is totally guilty, I still think it is sour grapes by USADA.

You know why?

Who are they going to give his title to?

Ullrich? Beloki? Vinkourov? Basso? Rumšas?

All of these guys have been busted for doping. Rumšas is my favorite because his wife was the one held for possession.

Ok, going after the king may be worth the trouble (and btw, Lance didn't choose to become martyr; he knew that if he went to a hearing, all that witness testimony would come out), but I don't think this cleans up the sport, just shuffles all the playing pieces.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Who are they going to give his title to?
I expect that nobody will be formally named the official winner. It will be a tacit admission that all the contenders were on some form of juice and that there can be no legitimate winners during that whole stretch of Tour history. The UCI and ASO won't like it but the alternative would be even more of a joke than the current debacle.

I think it's pretty clear that if he was innocent, he would keep fighting. But this is actually a pretty shrewd and workable solution to the whole thing. Lance can characterize it as a witch hunt and appeal to the public, much of which will continue to support him. Meanwhile, USADA can treat it as an admission, which should satisfy their need to take him down and to not let anyone retain glory from those years.

And road cycling fans will have a lot to talk about for years. So everyone wins! :D

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
So on a side note--- Does this mean I should man up and admit to the USADA that I was on dope at last night's Northstar race, since it appears I beat 2 other riders instead of coming in last for my division like I've usually done?? And all I had was a Big Gulp coke from 7-11 and pure honey, oh, and a white chocolate chip cookie before the start?????

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
So on a side note--- Does this mean I should man up and admit to the USADA that I was on dope at last night's Northstar race, since it appears I beat 2 other riders instead of coming in last for my division like I've usually done?? And all I had was a Big Gulp coke from 7-11 and pure honey, oh, and a white chocolate chip cookie before the start?????
Its people like you who are giving mountain biking it's bad boy reputation. Good day to you sir!

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Then I will wear the badge proudly. Please, pass the pizza this time....... Extra jalapenos, too...................
Whoa, now that's just crazy talk.

Personally, I think they should just make doping mandatory for pro cycling. Level the playing field.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I honestly think any PEDs should be legalized for any sport. That is what we want, biggerfasterhigherstronger...freak shows in the best gladiatorial sense. Educate the athletes on all effects of them, let them make informed decisions about what they are ingesting and have at it.

But white chocolate chip cookies...thats a bit to extreme for me.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I honestly think any PEDs should be legalized for any sport. That is what we want, biggerfasterhigherstronger...freak shows in the best gladiatorial sense. Educate the athletes on all effects of them, let them make informed decisions about what they are ingesting and have at it.

But white chocolate chip cookies...thats a bit to extreme for me.
And then let them fight it out to the death! Fvck yeah!

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I expect that nobody will be formally named the official winner. It will be a tacit admission that all the contenders were on some form of juice and that there can be no legitimate winners during that whole stretch of Tour history. The UCI and ASO won't like it but the alternative would be even more of a joke than the current debacle.

I think it's pretty clear that if he was innocent, he would keep fighting. But this is actually a pretty shrewd and workable solution to the whole thing. Lance can characterize it as a witch hunt and appeal to the public, much of which will continue to support him. Meanwhile, USADA can treat it as an admission, which should satisfy their need to take him down and to not let anyone retain glory from those years.

And road cycling fans will have a lot to talk about for years. So everyone wins! :D
That's kind of what I'm hoping for. Just put a big * in that spot and close the book on one of the darkest periods of professional cycling.

Apparently Bruyneel's fighting the allegations, so the whole case/evidence could very well come to light anyway. I actually wish that Lance had fought it as well, so we could have seen the evidence come out. I think that caving this way (while still claiming innocence) is probably the most cowardly option he had. If you're innocent, fight it. If you're guilty, admit it.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
That's kind of what I'm hoping for. Just put a big * in that spot and close the book on one of the darkest periods of professional cycling.

Apparently Bruyneel's fighting the allegations, so the whole case/evidence could very well come to light anyway. I actually wish that Lance had fought it as well, so we could have seen the evidence come out. I think that caving this way (while still claiming innocence) is probably the most cowardly option he had. If you're innocent, fight it. If you're guilty, admit it.
I don't know about that. Thirteen years is a long time to be dealing with the allegations. Dude wants to get on with his life. By not fighting the USADA anymore, he in effect trivializes them. Kind of a bold position really.

I'm guessing that most people who follow cycling think he's guilty along with every other tour rider. And if that's the case, well he's still the fastest.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I don't know about that. Thirteen years is a long time to be dealing with the allegations. Dude wants to get on with his life. By not fighting the USADA anymore, he in effect trivializes them. Kind of a bold position really.

I'm guessing that most people who follow cycling think he's guilty along with every other tour rider. And if that's the case, well he's still the fastest.
The USADA has a treasure trove of information/evidence that supports their position, including numerous former teammates willing to testify. Armstrong's trying to ensure that information never sees the light of day, while at the same time blaming the whole thing on an overactive and vengeful agency. If he thinks he's innocent, let's see what the USADA has as evidence against him. If he's guilty, man up and admit it. But the whole idea of not fighting the charges while still claiming innocence and blaming it on a witch hunt just smacks of desperation to me, where he's trying to win in the court of public opinion since he knows he can't win in the court of law...

Remember, he's been fighting "allegations" for years. He's only been facing the USADA's charges for several months or so after prosecutors declined to bring criminal charges this past February (I think that the USADA didn't bring any official charges till the July 5th announcement).

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
...heres a new tack. What/where is the jurisdictionof the USADA and how is it in effect over a race that occurs in Europe, under the auspices of a professional racing team that receives no backing or other support from the US government? If he was an Olympian or a national teammember I could see it...just another loose thought.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Maybe Lance talked to some good lawyers who told him that they can't take his money. If I was in his position, and was sure that they couldn't do anything to fvck with my money, I would tell the whole cycling world to fvck off and go swim in my big money pool.

It's not like he's looking at some great future in bike racing.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I think you are on it. After the government said there were no criminal charges to be pressed, he isn't looking at jail time, so what does it matter anymore? What is USADA going to do? Prohibit a retired racer from racing again...big whoop.
I think his lawyers also talked to the UCI, which was going to intervene on his behalf anyway, and they were told that UCI would take no action against him regarding the titles.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Saw this tidbit

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/athletes/lance-armstrong/Its-Not-About-the-Lab-Rats.html?page=all

Equally interesting is what the foundation doesn’t do. Most people—including nearly everybody I surveyed while reporting this story—assume that Livestrong funnels large amounts of money into cancer research. Nope. The foundation gave out a total of $20 million in research grants between 1998 and 2005, the year it began phasing out its support of hard science. A note on the foundation’s website informs visitors that, as of 2010, it no longer even accepts research proposals.

Nevertheless, the notion persists that Livestrong’s main purpose is to help pay for lab research into cancer cures. In an online “60 Minutes Overtime” interview after the May broadcast, CBS anchor Scott Pelley said Armstrong’s alleged misdeeds were mitigated because “he has raised hundreds of millions of dollars for cancer research.”