year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
And Nike ends their sponsorship. He made 21 million in 2012 - wow doping really pays off

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-17/nike-ends-contract-with-lance-armstrong-amid-doping-allegations.html

All the the time he has been laughing all the way to the blood bank.

It will be interesting to see if other sponsors will follow. I wonder if they could damn he pay back to money earned if his contract states doping is not legal.
Cheaters never prosper, unless they win 7 titles before being caught and stuff.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
"The company will also take Armstrong's name off of the fitness center on Nike's campus in Oregon, according to KeJuan Wilkins, a spokesperson for the athletic gear maker."

http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/17/news/companies/nike-lance-armstrong/index.html?iid=HP_LN&hpt=hp_t1
The World Campus is 2 miles from my house. This has been all over the news last night and this morning. :rofl:

It keeps getting worse.
http://www.theonion.com/articles/lance-armstrong-lets-down-single-person-who-still,29313/

Gary Osgood, a 32-year-old sales account executive, and the only person in the world who did not react to the news that Armstrong would be stripped of his seven Tour de France titles with a shrug of his shoulders and a knowing nod, told reporters he was devastated by the story.

Saying he felt “truly let down” by Armstrong, Osgood expressed a sense of anger and frustration that more than 300 million U.S. residents had already experienced and come to terms with at least three years ago.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
falling like dominoes
Cyclist Levi Leipheimer of Santa Rosa has been dropped from the Omega Pharma-Quick-Step Cycling team because of his admission to taking performance-enhancing drugs, team officials announced Tuesday.
It is the latest fallout in the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency case against cycling icon Lance Armstrong, who won an unprecedented seven Tour de France titles. The anti-doping agency last week released a 1,000-page report of its investigation into Armstrong, who has denied virtually every drug allocation leveled against him over the past decade.
Eleven former Armstrong teammates including Leipheimer gave damning testimony to anti-doping agency investigators. Leipheimer admitted to using drugs between 1999 and 2007 while riding for Saturn, U.S. Postal Service, Rabobank, Gerolsteiner and Astana
http://www.mercurynews.com/other-sports/ci_21789530/local-sports-digest-cyclist-levi-leipheimer-dropped-by

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not sure why it bothers me, but I just don't see any purpose in Nike pulling out now. Twenty years from now, no one is going to disassociate the two at all. You could probably ask a toddler in Jordan's who made them and they'd say Lance.
that's typically when you regret not pulling out.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I can't help but wonder how long it will be before all his sponsors go after his money. This was fraud on a massive scale and he is sitting pretty.
He won two previous lawsuits linked to getting prize money while doping and a libel case he won against a newspaper who said he doped. Not only can they revisit those lawsuits but he could easily be found guilty of perjury as a result of his testimony in those cases.

The SCA case was worth $12 million and was the case where he attempted to intimidate Franky Andreau and his wife into withholding their testimony.

Betcha he is currently using all his creative drug smuggling tricks to squirrel away cash.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
do you really want to watch a doping free tour?

probably not.
dunno... my (amateurish) guess would be, that the differences would be near same, just the average speed would drop... that would make actually no difference for the average joe, as they wouldn't notice the difference...

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
do you really want to watch a doping free tour?

probably not.
That reminds me of an Andy Richter bit on Conan from years ago. (I couldn't find it on youtube). When Andy does the New York marathon, "at his own pace".....they showed him over the course of the week, sauntering down the street wearing his number plate, eating an ice cream cone....stopping in front of a movie theater, looking up at hte marquis....shrugging, and goes in.

i imagine that's how the tour would go without juice.

But I don't give a crap about the TdF anyway.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
That reminds me of an Andy Richter bit on Conan from years ago. (I couldn't find it on youtube). When Andy does the New York marathon, "at his own pace".....they showed him over the course of the week, sauntering down the street wearing his number plate, eating an ice cream cone....stopping in front of a movie theater, looking up at hte marquis....shrugging, and goes in.

i imagine that's how the tour would go without juice.

But I don't give a crap about the TdF anyway.
it's like NASCAR, I watch it for the crashes

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
On a nike and other sponsorship/endorsement note, are they firing lance because of steroid/drug use or because of all the controversy attached to it? The reason I ask is that they don't seem to be cutting out endorsements for other athletes who are more clearly using in the mainstream sports....food for thought or thoughtless food?
dunno... my (amateurish) guess would be, that the differences would be near same, just the average speed would drop... that would make actually no difference for the average joe, as they wouldn't notice the difference...
agree.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
on today's episode... people asking for their donations back

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/19/us/lance-armstrong/index.html?hpt=hp_c2
Not sure that I'm ok with people demanding money back from a cancer-fighting organization just because the spokesman is a douche... Time to separate the organization from the namesake.

That being said, if you *really* want to donate to a cancer organization, do it to the National Cancer Institute, as 100% of your donations go towards cancer research. All overhead is covered by the federal government, so no part of your salary goes towards marketing, administration, fundraising, etc.

http://obf.cancer.gov/contribute/giftfund.htm