Quantcast

Is Maxima Fork Fluid Corrosive? Water absorbant?

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Lets just say, theoreticlly speaking... A guy, lets call him Bob, had his bike in that stand. He took off the C clip on his shiver and the bottoms fell off, causing oil to run every where, even on his brakes and rotars. Now this is about 2 lbs of oil...

So, Bobs question is... Is this stuff corrosive and he wants to know if he will have to wipe everything down with alchohol or not. Bob has already taken care of the breaks and pads with crunched up kitty litter and paper towels and alchohaul.

And Bob also wants to know how much trouble he is going to get in when his mother comes home and finds fork oil leading from the basement to the third floor in drip patters... all over oriental rugs... :dead:

Also... I cant believe how dirty the oil was, i changed it last spring and man it was filthy. Good thing, kinda, that it they fell off. :think:

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Slowly your post went from third to first person.
I don't think fork oil is corrosive, but it kills pads.
You can bake your pads, or soak them in alcohol, or just buy some.
Make sure you get everything clean before reassembling.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
ok seriously now....boil the pads and they will be ok...but in all reality you should just get new ones...I change/check my fork oil about every 4 months....as far as the home damage...hmm..not sure about that one....D

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Well, the rugs look okay. As in they are not bubbling or whatever. I missed the 15 grand one by like 4 feet. Good thing too. Yeah dont ask about the $ rugs, my mom makes too much money and blows it on stupid **** like that. Im still saving for a new Mrp though. :mad:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
1) this thread is very amusing. i actually laughed out loud.

2) if your parents get pissed about the rug, remind them that it's on the floor and that floors get dirty. no offense to your mom, but a $15k run in a place that a cyclist calls "home" is kinda...well, dumb, to be blunt.

3) it's good that you're using your money to buy ****, rather than relying on mommy and daddy. as you grow older, you learn to value the money you have/earn more than spoiled little bitches.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
dammit mack. how many times do i ave to tell you. TAKE YOUR **** TO YOUR LBS! this is the third thread youve made about you screwing up do to being clumsy/ignorant. lol oh and if you screw up the shiver ill buy all the parts off you :thumb:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
1) Have you heard of a thing called a bucket?
2) Why would carry a dripping fork up/down three stories?
3) Oils don't mix with water. Alcohol is water based. Try laundry/dish soap to clean up oil.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
No, i had the fork on the bike, and pulled to TWO c clips that hold the lowers together. Ive taken it apart many times before, just this time i forgot, and they lowers fell off. I was talking them upstairs to put another set of new seals in, but they were dripping oil and i had no idea, untl i ran downstairs to get the seal pounder tool...

My basement is dark and has crappy light, so i somtimes have to take stuff up to my room... 1/2 my tools are in my room, the other 1/2 are downstairs. Its not a case of being ignorant,(well maybe the whole painting/fuems ordeal was), just working to fast. Was trying to make a DJ session before the Sin City movie started. Unfortunatly i missed both. :stosh:

On the up side i got my pedals in the mail today and a new brake line for my grimeca :thumb: as soon as my spring (and new oil) come in the mail, my bike will be ready for this season.