Quantcast

Is my 2012 Fox 36 Van always going to feel overdamped???

kail

Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
Montana
So I got a new bike this year (2012 Spec. SX Trail). It came with a Fox 36 Van R. The fork has preload and rebound adjustability. I like the fork, as it is light and resists bobbing so it helps when sprinting. However, it seems to have maybe too much compression damping -- as it's a bit harsh on high-frequency hits. It does not hold a candle to my old 66RC2X in terms of plushness. Is this something that will improve with time? Or are there any mods I can do to allow it to use a little more travel with less effort? I've probably done 20 rides on it so far and never came close to bottoming the thing. Maybe a whole season will break it in???

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
If I recall correctly the Vanilla R's are open bath/emulsion style damper so swapping to a lighter oil would help the compression feel lighter, although the rebound would also be effected in the same way.

Before you go that far.. How much ride time do you have on the fork? There is certainly a break in period for the seals and bushings(even though Fox says they ream all of the bushings after installation).
Is the problem your having with the compression damping or is it that the fork feel sticky?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
If the bike is brand new, then the fork bushings will take time to break in before it reaches optimum sliding performance. Generally this involves about 2-3 weeks of chairlift riding or a 2-3 months of weekend rides. It's also worth checking the oil in the lower legs, Fox Green 10wt is the best product to use, and it's worth making sure they contain the factory specified amount.

Fox generally do run more compression damping than Marzocchi though, for faster and more aggressive riding that 'plushness' you like translates into wallowing and chassis instability. But once broken in, the 36 should be quite sensitive at lower compression settings so I'd check the lubrication oil level and give them some riding time.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Try a lighter spring rate. I have ridden those a bunch and I always felt like it was underdamped if anything. I guess it depends on what you are doing but, if you are not bottoming and it feels harsh, then I think going down a spring rate would be a good solution. How much do you weigh?

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Buckow is on the money - if you're not even coming close to using full travel on one of those, chances are that your spring rate is simply too high, because the stock compression damping levels on those are not excessive. Marzocchis are notoriously softly sprung, relying on oil height for ramp up towards the end of the travel, which is what gives them that initial plushness. Make sure you're on the right spring before you get caught up with anything else.

kail

Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
Montana
If I recall correctly the Vanilla R's are open bath/emulsion style damper so swapping to a lighter oil would help the compression feel lighter, although the rebound would also be effected in the same way.

Before you go that far.. How much ride time do you have on the fork? There is certainly a break in period for the seals and bushings(even though Fox says they ream all of the bushings after installation).
Is the problem your having with the compression damping or is it that the fork feel sticky?
I might look into some lighter oil if it doesn't improve after a few more months. Rebound wouldn't be a problem as I have it adjusted almost all the way fast and it's still not too fast. It's hard to gauge my ride time because all of my rides so far have been trail/grind to the top, then one 5-10 minute downhill. If I had to guess what it would be equivalent to as far as chairlift riding, I'd probably say about 2 days at Whistler.

If the bike is brand new, then the fork bushings will take time to break in before it reaches optimum sliding performance. Generally this involves about 2-3 weeks of chairlift riding or a 2-3 months of weekend rides. It's also worth checking the oil in the lower legs, Fox Green 10wt is the best product to use, and it's worth making sure they contain the factory specified amount.

Fox generally do run more compression damping than Marzocchi though, for faster and more aggressive riding that 'plushness' you like translates into wallowing and chassis instability. But once broken in, the 36 should be quite sensitive at lower compression settings so I'd check the lubrication oil level and give them some riding time.
Yeah, I'm not even close to 2-3 weeks of chairlift riding. I live near Big Sky, Montana and will go up there as soon as all the snow melts. Otherwise, it's hard to get a lot of break-in time when all the riding locally is 45+ minutes of climbing then only 5-10 minutes of dh and then you're done, lol.

Try a lighter spring rate. I have ridden those a bunch and I always felt like it was underdamped if anything. I guess it depends on what you are doing but, if you are not bottoming and it feels harsh, then I think going down a spring rate would be a good solution. How much do you weigh?
It really doesn't feel like an overly heavy spring rate. I'm a bit heavy for my height; around 215 pounds with gear and I'm only 5'10." However, I usually lose about 25 pounds by the end of each summer. Just compressing the fork in the driveway I can push it down quite a ways. It just feels harsh on braking bumps -- like it has too much compression damping. Maybe everything will get better as I continue to ride it.

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
Oil comes to mind too. If oil levels from the factory is correct then might wanna go with a lighter one. Although I have the rc2 model, Im about 170 lbs kitted and I run the heavy spring for riders 180-210 or something. I bottom the thing out on med to big hits.

PJivan

Monkey
Aug 27, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
I just finished to break in my fox 40 2011.... is now a totaly different fork. way more plush than it was...
If you have the right sag just check if oil is there...use the fox one... keep the fork lubrificated and ride it hard, you will crank up the compression soon ;)

So I got a new bike this year (2012 Spec. SX Trail). It came with a Fox 36 Van R. The fork has preload and rebound adjustability. I like the fork, as it is light and resists bobbing so it helps when sprinting. However, it seems to have maybe too much compression damping -- as it's a bit harsh on high-frequency hits. It does not hold a candle to my old 66RC2X in terms of plushness. Is this something that will improve with time? Or are there any mods I can do to allow it to use a little more travel with less effort? I've probably done 20 rides on it so far and never came close to bottoming the thing. Maybe a whole season will break it in???