Quantcast

Is my wheel dished wrong?

rideagainst

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
CA
I have an 04 chameleon w/ a qr XT rear hub laced to a Ryno Lite XL. When the axle is in properly the wheel sits to the left, almost touching the frame. Its not that the wheel is out of true, but it just sits to the left. Is my wheel dished wrong? Maybe it's a drop out or axle problem?

Thanks
-mike

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Well, are the axles seated all the way in the drop out? If so, then yes, it is improperly dished. Take a ruler get an approximation of how far it is off(what would make it centered) and either redish it yourself(loosen the side closest to the frame) or have it redished and give then the number. If you're not running a huge tire, it doesn't have to be perfect.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yep... dished wrong. You can actually redish it right in the frame if you don't have a truing stand and that would help you get a better feel for what's centered. As amateur said, just loosen the spokes on the left (that are too close to the frame), and tighten the spokes on the right.

Do it in small increments and you'll be fine.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I would not advise doing anything until you actually confirm the dish with a dishing tool (no tire either). I could see your dropouts bent, which would affect the way the wheel sat in between the chainstays.

I hate giving you another shortcut, because you should check the dish, but try putting another wheel in your frame. If it also hits a chainstay, it is probably your frame (or you have two wheels out of dish).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
:stupid:

That's very good advice. I guess I would figure that if the dropouts were so out of whack that the rear rim actually touches the frame, it would be evident at a glance that the frame was borked. If it's the tire touching the frame, though, and not the wheel as indicated the dropouts could easily be tweaked a bit.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
sanjuro said:
I would not advise doing anything until you actually confirm the dish with a dishing tool (no tire either). I could see your dropouts bent, which would affect the way the wheel sat in between the chainstays.

I hate giving you another shortcut, because you should check the dish, but try putting another wheel in your frame. If it also hits a chainstay, it is probably your frame (or you have two wheels out of dish).
A quick way to check the dish is to put the same wheel in backwards.
It should now be close to the other stay if it's the dish of the wheel.
If it's close to the same stay, then it's the frame.

SBDHrida

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
aMERica
mike. just go into velo pro while steve is there and have him let you use the truing stand. that would be easiest.