Quantcast

is portland really that bad???

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
as you may have read earlier i'm goin to oregon this summer and i'm gonna need a place to stay and so on and so on....but the problem i've run into now is all of the good hotels that arn't that expensive are all in portland, and i've heard from a couple of resourses that portland is hardcore drug ridden and crime is high and what not...is that true, will it really be that bad to stay for a week or two

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
It's just like any other city. It has its problem areas and its good areas. Find out where the problems are and avoid them.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Its Oregon, crime is pretty weak up there. There main problem is funding for schools and the poor because they have no sales tax. Likewise for Washington because they have no property tax. But yeah Portland isn't any more hardcore than the numerous other poverty stricken US cities. Your chances of getting robbed or killed are slimmer than your car blowing up or your plane getting terrorized on the way there.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
biker3 said:
Its Oregon, crime is pretty weak up there. There main problem is funding for schools and the poor because they have no sales tax. Likewise for Washington because they have no property tax. But yeah Portland isn't any more hardcore than the numerous other poverty stricken US cities. Your chances of getting robbed or killed are slimmer than your car blowing up or your plane getting terrorized on the way there.

I pay PLENTY of property tax in WA, maybe you are thinking income tax? There is no state income tax here.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
geargrrl said:
I pay PLENTY of property tax in WA, maybe you are thinking income tax? There is no state income tax here.
\

yeah my bad, I got it mixed up. But I hear its good strategy for people who live close to the border to work in WA, then buy all your goods in OR. Lots of money savings and what not. I am right about the poverty up there? Isnt it pretty out of hand or at least the school system because of the lack of tax?