Quantcast

Is road racing really worth it?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
As a pro mountain biker I asked myself that whenever I did a road race (not very often). I was doing them more for training and "fun" but I always worried I would get involved in a crash and not be able to race mountain bike races. Now Ryan Trebon (KONA) is out for probably the next three NORBA races because he broke his wrist racing the Tour de Toona last week. Shoot, look what happened to Roland Green a couple years back!

Those damn skinny tire races. :)

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Heidi said:
As a pro mountain biker I asked myself that whenever I did a road race (not very often). I was doing them more for training and "fun" but I always worried I would get involved in a crash and not be able to race mountain bike races. Now Ryan Trebon (KONA) is out for probably the next three NORBA races because he broke his wrist racing the Tour de Toona last week. Shoot, look what happened to Roland Green a couple years back!

I was thinking the samething. But I guess it depends on what you want to do next. If you hit it half way decent on the road you can make a lot more money as a pro road racer than a mountain biker.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
As long everyone acknowledges that road racing is the tougher sport and XC racers are scary-cats...

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Heidi said:

Girl you know it's true!!!

that sucks though Ryan was looking strong. crits are worse though especially for 4/5's but road racing at no FFPS either. Poor Roland aint been the same since.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Heidi said:
As a pro mountain biker I asked myself that whenever I did a road race (not very often). I was doing them more for training and "fun" but I always worried I would get involved in a crash and not be able to race mountain bike races.
This is a thought that keeps me from racing period, especially DH. Don't want anything to interfere with my riding, least of all racing. :)
Maybe someday though, i've threatened for years i'd get dressed up in an ape suit and a tu tu with a basket full of bananas and sparkly tassles at a DH race someday. i don't think i'd try that at an XC race though (heat stroke).