Quantcast

IS SUB 40 lbs POSSIBLE? How

bigbodystyle

Chimp
Dec 27, 2005
louisville, kentucky
So i guess im jumping on the band wagon too. I have aa 06 demo 8 that comes in right at 43 pounds and am tryin to find some ways to trim the extra weight off but still keep it relatively strong.
The componets on it are...

FRAME. 06 demo
REAR SHOCK. 06 fox dhx 5.0 steel spring
FORK. 06 boxxer world cup
HUBS. hadley
SPOKES. DT swiss
RIMS. 06/07 729's
TIRES. when weighed...intense fro 2.5
TUBES. cross country tubes
CRANKS. saints
PEDALS. crank bros. 5050's
GUIDE. older e-thirteen
CHAIN. cheaper sram 9 speed
DERAILURE. sram x-7
CASSET. sram nicer sram road
STEM. e-thirteen boxxer integrated
BARS. truvativ hollzfeller
SHIFTER. sram x-0
GRIPS. ODI lock ons
REAR BRAKE. hope m4
FRONT BRAKE. hope m6
ROTORS. hope floating rotors
BRAKE CABLE. steel braded
SEAT POST. syncros
SEAT. WTB pure v

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
REAR SHOCK. 06 fox dhx 5.0 steel spring
TIRES. when weighed...intense fro 2.5
CRANKS. saints
PEDALS. crank bros. 5050's
SEAT POST. syncros
Some suggestions:
-Ti spring for the DHX
-Different tires (Maxxis, Kenda, Hutchinson, Michelin)
-Lighter cranks (Middleburns w/ FSA BB if you wanna be fancy)
-5050s just suck balls. The shape is horrible. I recommend Tioga MX Pros
-You could save some weight with either a Thomson post or an I-beam setup.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
here's a question..(and for the record, I'm not sh!t talking) is spending $300 dollors to drop 3lbs really worth it? Is a 3lb difference really going to make me faster?

Obviously the thread is "is sub 40 possible" I just don't think a 37lb bike, and a 40lb bike will make that big of a difference. In the end, the only result that matters is how much fun you have....

Just a thought

By the way, I'm a total weight weenie, (without comprimiseing strength) lately I've just been wondering if its worth it.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Honestly IMO it's worth it. Why spend upwards of 3k on a bike, yet not get exactly what you want? Especially for me, because I'm really light.

For someone who's not wanting to spend a lot, it's not worth it to get a light+crappy bike, but why not go all-out if you've got the cash?

Also, if you're a 250# guy running and hitting the gym are better than a lighter bike.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Why not, if you can shed some weight and make a bike a little more nimble. It is fun to ride a bike and the lighter builds are easier to manhandle/womenhandle (politically correct).
If you can shave 3lbs for $300 then HELL YEA it's worth it, Thats got a good ROI in regards to savings.
And yeah if you can shave some weight and still be reliable then why not, I like to find ways in my spare time to tune and lighten it especially in the off season.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Well said bullcrew.

How light do you guys think you could get a real DH bike? 33#? I'm thinking like DHX Air, White Brothers Groove Race/Boxxer WC/888SL/66SL, drilled Rhyno Lite XL front rim, regular rear, Syntace stem, carbon bars, I-beam carbon, I-fly, tubeless single plys etc. It would kinda suck to ride but it would be interesting to see how low you could go with semi-DH parts.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
Eventually it gets annoying when the bike gets smacked around when you've unweighted the wheels or are landing smoothly in bumps, so I think I'd want a DH bike no less than about 35 pounds for the best feel -- not that I'd add ballast -- but a minimum comfortable weight is something to think about.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Eventually it gets annoying when the bike gets smacked around when you've unweighted the wheels or are landing smoothly in bumps, so I think I'd want a DH bike no less than about 35 pounds for the best feel -- not that I'd add ballast -- but a minimum comfortable weight is something to think about.

yes i would agree on that, ATM 35lbs i think is the lowest you can go with a fully dh worthy spec.

in particular, i dont think spokes like revos, alloy nips, sub 600g rims, and single ply tires are dh worthy unless you are not paying the equipment bill. and since tires are so variable in weight i think its better to always just assume, say 3000g for tires/tube subsystem, that way you get a neutral measurement.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
35# I wouldn't even try that build. I ride 39-41 seems to be my groove and I range from 215 - 220lbs without gear/shoes/socks etc... You get the point. I can shave possibly 10lbs off me and thats max. Which isn't going to happen right now anywase with the holidays and FOOD! I love holiday food and pie, my metabolism has a hyper disorder so I don't gain alot. :D

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I think that's silly - if your bike is strong enough to take the abuse, and the suspension is doing its job, there should be no minimum weight. If you're depending on the bike's mass to add stability, you need to do some work on your bike handling skills...

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
I think that's silly - if your bike is strong enough to take the abuse, and the suspension is doing its job, there should be no minimum weight. If you're depending on the bike's mass to add stability, you need to do some work on your bike handling skills...
a lighter bike is easier to pedal, faster, and easier on you body, less mass to move.

edit: i meant easier on your body because it's much less work to move/pedal, you can still fall just as hard ;)

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
Well said bullcrew.

How light do you guys think you could get a real DH bike? 33#? I'm thinking like DHX Air, White Brothers Groove Race/Boxxer WC/888SL/66SL, drilled Rhyno Lite XL front rim, regular rear, Syntace stem, carbon bars, I-beam carbon, I-fly, tubeless single plys etc. It would kinda suck to ride but it would be interesting to see how low you could go with semi-DH parts.
yea, some of those parts dont count as a "legit dh" build, like single ply tires, i beam carbon post, you get the point, but that would be an interesting run...:banana:

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
It's cliche'd I know, but...

To finish first, first you must finish.

I'd rather carry 3 extra pounds than be sidelined, and being a typical weekend warrior I have to trust my equipment to last between Loooooong service intervals.

By service intervals I really mean 'when something breaks it gets replaced'.

Whoops

edit to add: Even with Monster Ts my DH rig weighs 40.2 pounds... so I'm a bit of a hypocrite

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
I Second that!
Nope, you'll just point and laugh. :redface:

It's an old MountainCycle Shockwave with old LP turbines, FoxRC etc. Designed back in the days when 35lbs was considered way too heavy.

The Monsters are the 99 version that weight *only* 9.3 lbs, and I've got mavic ex 823 wheels with UST maxxis high roller 2.35" tyres that is saving a bit of weight.

It's bombproof, and still faster than I am.

Digital scales were used, and are probablly accurate to 1 pound (but read to 0.1).

HearNOevil

Chimp
Aug 25, 2003
Nor- Cal
Word round the campfire is the new V10 will shed a pound and a half from the current...Making sub 38 relitively easy.

My bike (weighed at tire of photo. W/Dh tubes 'cause that's how I roll.) 38.9lbs. (Oh, steel spring too.)

Cannon

Chimp
Feb 11, 2006
Here´s my new Bike, it´s currently at 36.81Lbs, should be at 35.9 including pedals whe ready......
Nico is back!!!!!!
The bike rides like hell........

Greetz, Cannon

Attachments

Cannon

Chimp
Feb 11, 2006
Thanx guys, more pics when it´s done, i´ll have to wait fur the HT2 Middleburns, should be out early next year (i hope so).
They are working on them and have the option for 83mm BB width too!!!!!!
The damper protection plate is made from alloy and weight´s about 95g, will change with a self laminated carbonfiber one with 20g......

The new white Boxxer WC casting is on it´s way, but i´m still loking for a suitable light seatpost and seat, the Gobi looks nice but the question is how long?

Greetings, from Europe, Cannon

J

J5ive

Just doing the numbers. Allowed for pretty much the lightest gear on the parts I could not see.

hubs 200 380
rims 1100
spokes 430
tyres 2660
tubes 210
=4980

shifter 110
derail 190
chain 280 hp
cass 160 da
cable 60
=800

cranks 1000
ring 60
guide 190
pedals 370 mg1
=1620

seat 250
post 240
clamp 20
bars 220 (carbon?)
stem 200?
grips 100
=1030

fork wc- 2800
headset 110

brakes 800?

= 12140 / 26.76lbs

So frame and shock is 10lbs?
Please correct me if my weights are off...

J

J5ive

Brakes?

Enduro 180 mm 239 gr + 134 gr + 54 gr
DH 200 mm 239 gr + 164 gr + 54 gr

- 884g. And that post is heavier. Havok right?