Quantcast

Is the 300 bucks worth it?

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
So I'm looking at a 06 R800 and R1000. The price difference is 300 bucks. What I am wondering is it worth the money for the 1000. I will use the bike mostly for training, no racing at all. Here are the diffrences in the 2 bikes.

R800 R1000
Fork Slice Ultra Slice Premium
Wheels Shimano WH-R550 Mavic Ksyrium Equipe
Group 105 Ultegra

Thanks

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I have two roadies, one with 105 and the other with Ultegra... no big difference there to me. (I know, not a large stat sample group, I'm just sayin')

If I remember correctly, Mavic Ksyrium Equipe has more spokes than the WH-R550... which is my preference cuz I ride some bumpy roads and even bunny hop holes... tho I'm on Mavic Open Pros which have even more spokes.

I don't know much about those forks, but I suspect the primary factor is road noise absorbtion, yeah? Well, if the road is that noisy, then you should be on a steel bike. (yeah, I said it! :blah:)

If it's a training bike, my opinion is no, not worth the money. The group will last a long time and you can buy another set of wheels with the savings.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The shifters makes the price difference, which is about $150 aftermarket.

I bet the Slice Ultra is an aluminum steerer, where as the other one is carbon.

I don't much about the wheels, but I am sure the more expensive one is lighter, for whatever that is worth.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I would think the price diff would be higher given the component changes, so I don't think it's money wasted...but will you feel a difference? Maybe not. When I worked in a sho, I used to tell people looking at that range of bike that as long as you got 105, you were set. Ultegra is nicer, but the performance and durability jump is less from 105 to Ultegra than it is from Taigra to 105.

One more thing: what model year are these bikes? New 105 stuff has all the newer features of Ultegra: external BB, 10 speed, new shifter shape, etc., which further narrows the differences.

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
One more thing: what model year are these bikes? New 105 stuff has all the newer features of Ultegra: external BB, 10 speed, new shifter shape, etc., which further narrows the differences.
They are 06 bikes. I had heard the 06 105 group was good.

Thanks for the replys.