Quantcast

Is the Bowflex worth it?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Hey guys,

Me and my girlfriend are thinking about getting a bowflex. It's cheaper for use to buy one considering we have a treadmill already so a weight setup of some sort would top it off. We did the math for gym memberships and it's cheaper to go this route. We narrowed it down to a Bowflex (I think) because of the options you have with it.

I'm just wondering if they're worth what they ask for them? Which models seem to hav enough exercises to keep you busy and not getting bored. We'd be looking at one of their lower end ones ($500-700 range) so that plays a role.

Juts curious to see who likes them, what models, if they do work etc.......

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Well using a Bowflex is better than not working out at all. That's about the best thing I can say about it.

I think something like 1.2 million of them have been recalled within the last 1.5-2 years.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I Are Baboon said:
Well using a Bowflex is better than not working out at all. That's about the best thing I can say about it.

I think something like 1.2 million of them have been recalled within the last 1.5-2 years.
...and with a bike, you can expend a lot of energy and go places. ;) :thumb:

radjockette

Monkey
Jun 26, 2004
PNW woods
I have an older XTL model with a leg attachment and it works great. I was an avid gym rat for many, many years and I like the workout I get (and results) from the bowflex. HOWEVER, I incorporate some free weight exercises with my bowflex. I have a small assortment of dumbells and a short ez curl bar.

My brother and sister in law just purchased a new bowflex. They've had it for about a month now. I will ask them how it is holding up. I believe they bought a mid range model though. I would do some research on which models and year the recalls are.

Once you get a routine down, a full body workout is only about an hour long. Like I said before, I do a set with the bowflex for one body part, and then immediately I do another set for a different body part with the dumbells. This way, I'm getting more of a cardio workout and shortening my workout time. Otherwise, the time would probably be a bit longer.

Hope this helps

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If you'll work out more because you have it go for it. If it is going to get used for a few weeks then collect dust don't waste your money. I manage to get a full workout at home with a few dumbells, a long bar with only about 100 lbs of weights. The only thing I can't really do is leg extensions which I need to do for my knees. My problem is I have no motivation to work out at home.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Costco sells the Extreme under a different name for about $300 less. I just got one and LOVE it. It was $899.

HellBentDH

Chimp
Apr 2, 2005
I heard on the radio today that bowflex has been ordered to pay a $1,000,000 + fine to the federal government for failing to disclose injuries sustained by customers. Thats all I heard, no info about what type of injuries or anything like that. Struck me as odd that they pay it to the government, why not give it to the people who got hurt? Anybody else have any info about this?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
HellBentDH said:
<snip> $1,000,000 + fine

<snip>Struck me as odd that they pay it to the government, why not give it to the people who got hurt?
Because it's a fine, not a civil lawsuit.

A lawsuit is how customers get money for injuries - which should have been filed unless the customers are stupid.

A fine is simply a punishment for breaking laws and has nothing to do with the specific people who were hurt.

I find that these home workout setups are fine if you have the motivation to work out at home. However, as Westy said, I think it's very difficult to get that motivation while you're at home (for me, anyway) - there's always other stuff that needs doing or sounds more appealing than working out. I had a weight bench all-in-one deal and now have a Total Gym. The Total Gym is good because it folds up into a very small package and can be stored in the closet, which means I don't have to trip over it while I'm ignoring it.

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
I'd recommend getting a flat bench and some free weights. You can get a decent setup for only a couple hundred clams. I'm not sure what kind of goals you're looking to get into, but unless you're looking to get big, freeweights and compound excercises are all you'd need.

Feb 12, 2005
I bought the Bowflex Sport. They have them at Dick's and Sports Authority for $799. Machine has leg attachment and lat tower.

I like the Bowflex. Can do a ton of excercises on it and it does fold out of the way very easilly.

Dude... Spend the 40 bucks and get a membership to a decent fitness club. They have a staff that can tailor your workouts to what you want. Not to mention if its anything of a decent place they'll have everything you could ever need or want to use to work out.

Besides, you have to replace the rods on a bowflex about, what, every year and a half or so?