Quantcast

Is the DMR Trailblade 2 really that bad?

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
So I just got the 2008 DMR trailblade 2 20mm in the mail not even a week ago. I didnt really think it over that much, I just assumed all rigids where about the same and I wanted a 20mm one.

Anyway I was reading around and found out a lot of pople have problems with snapping and bending them. Not sure if its true or not as I heard the riders werent doing anything too extream just some tap 3s and 180s and it snapped within 4 months :disgust:

Anyone here had any experiance with them or know anyone that has one?

SDG

Chimp
May 24, 2007
Yow, i have seen a few that snapped/bend. All were used in DJ/Park and street. You should really consider to change to the Indentity rebate 20mm version, when youre Trailblade is bend/broken.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
I have heard of a few bending but not a ton, i have heard more stories of argyle's crapping out though but i would still trust it. you always hear the worse side of things on the internet.
as for the identiti, they are sick looking forks but the A/C height is only 425. thats so short. with your suburban that would drop the BB into the mid 11 range. (this is the reason i have a NS capital on the way).

so i would say ride it, its got to be stronger then the fox you were going to or will be running.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Im thinking about getting the trailblade 20mm thru axle fork as well.The trailblade fork specs say it has a 100mm hub spacing. I currently have an Argyle that specs a 110mm hub spacing. What would I need to use the same wheel I'm using on the argyle? Or is that 100mm spec meant for the 9mm solid axle? just a little confused.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I rode a bike with the blackmarket fork and bars yesterday, it felt great. Custom chromo frame and 24" wheels, sick bike.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
ahhh, nevermind, the BTI website specifies 110mm spacing for the 20mm thru axle.
well alrighhhhht.

the blk martket looks good but im looking at the 20mm thru as well.

Savage, how's the fork look and feel? Are you riding it yet?

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
I am almost positive that the 20mm trailblade is 110mm hubs.

Anyway im still waiting for a lot of parts, but here is a quick picture of my ride with the fork i took.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
yeah that looks the suck. I don't know, I have the first generation Dmr trailblade, and that thing is solid. It's been through a couple real ****ty situations and is still kickin, straight as new. I'm just gonna chalk it up as another experiment, i'd rather have that fork bend rather than my stanctions snap.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Ok well I sent DMR an e-mail asking about the durability of their trailblade forks with 6 pictures of broken trailblades. Heres the respons I got: (btw the first one was of the one posted here)

Hhhmmm...

Let me begin,

Picture one - has been ridden into something - very hard

Picture two - is as result of a 50/50 on a landing

Picture three - is as result of a 50/50 on a landing

Picture four - is as result of a 50/50 on a landing

Picture five - is as result of a 50/50 on a landing

Picture six - is as result of a 50/50 on a landing

there isn't a fork out there which would take this punishment

All we refer to as 'crash damage'

We have sold hundreds of there forks - world wide

I know there are more examples, but the percentage of broken forks to forks sold - is very very low

2008 - forks are now all heat treated (new colours [not in your pictures])

2009... cant say to much at the moment... but there'll be further developments... obviously

Hope this clears these up for you

Windowlicker

Monkey
Dec 27, 2007
Santa Cruz
I am almost positive that the 20mm trailblade is 110mm hubs.

Anyway im still waiting for a lot of parts, but here is a quick picture of my ride with the fork i took.

that looks like 1 hell of a push bike!
looks good right now bro but put on your f100 and that is gonna look soooooo dialed!

rigid isnt really my thing, i have always wondered how strong those things were

some lying fool said:
Hhhmmm...

Let me begin,

this is easily disputed as a incorrect information. we were out with this bike doing a photoshoot while the damage took place(there were about 8 of us there). the photographer that was working with the magazine the shoot was for, will/can attest the axle (normally this would just deflect your wheel sideways) clipped a sub-box at about 7mph. not even a direct impact and there wasn't even a crash involved, the fork just bent straight back like butter. the handlebar (right side bent down about 5 degrees) and the cranks (non drive arm twisted sideways and the spindle twisted as well) bent on about the 3rd or 4th jump over some 12-13 foot tabletops. the whole bike didn't even last thru it's photoshoot....

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
this is easily disputed as a incorrect information. we were out with this bike doing a photoshoot while the damage took place(there were about 8 of us there). the photographer that was working with the magazine the shoot was for, will/can attest the axle (normally this would just deflect your wheel sideways) clipped a sub-box at about 7mph. not even a direct impact and there wasn't even a crash involved, the fork just bent straight back like butter. the handlebar (right side bent down about 5 degrees) and the cranks (non drive arm twisted sideways and the spindle twisted as well) bent on about the 3rd or 4th jump over some 12-13 foot tabletops. the whole bike didn't even last thru it's photoshoot....
I contemplated sending that to him, but decided i would just sound like and ignorant asshole.

Anyway I just cut the steer tube down to 7" Anyone have and tips on getting hte star nut in?

I decided to just use it till it brakes (if it even does) and then if I decide I like rigid forks (never used one on a mtb before just bmx) i will get the new doberman fork 20mm :D

Sunsets

Chimp
Aug 30, 2009
VA
bringing up an old thread, hope this is cool..... im new here.

this bike looks badass and what im trying to set up
(new to mtb, from bmx)

im trying to figure out what i want for rigid 26 dj set up

has the fork worked for you?

what is the frame? and have you been happy with this set up?

Last edited:

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I've been running a Trailblade for about a year now, they work great. I ride mostly trails, but some park and street as well.
If you're not too hard on a frame, (NS frames are known to break) check out the NS Majesty, PERFECT geometry, and 15" chainstays. 4.9lb steel frame!

Last edited:

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
I rode a trailblade for a year... I would still be riding it but I got a great deal on a dobermann tchokr. If I can hit a few thousand jumps about 25% cased or 50/50 with no problem it is fine. I go between 185 and 200 and ride a couple times a week.

Feb 7, 2010
A, A
I say just run the fork and be happy with it :) If you are not an ogre and know how to ride a bike and are halfway smooth, you will be okay.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I just bought a used trailblade, but I'm not concerned as it is the heat treated version. Sounds like DMR should have been heat treating these from the start.

NSBikesRider

Chimp
Mar 3, 2010
Nottingham
I've been running a Trailblade for about a year now, they work great. I ride mostly trails, but some park and street as well.
If you're not too hard on a frame, (NS frames are known to break) check out the NS Majesty, PERFECT geometry, and 15" chainstays. 4.9lb steel frame!
NS frames dont break, me and my mates ride NS, i tend to do street and whatnot, but my mates have got NS bikes azs well, and tbh, his frame outlived his pair of argyles, and he "forked" out for the expensive ones... love my pun? haha, but to be honest, NS forks, identiti forks, and maybe some 24" bmx forks are the way to go, but they only bend if you cant land that propperly, like the dmr guy, he probably went way to fast and way to hard on the 60 degree bit of the front wheel, where youd either bend the steerer tube, ir the fork, its the weakest point.

NSBikesRider

Chimp
Mar 3, 2010
Nottingham
Quote:
Hhhmmm...

Let me begin,

Picture two - is as result of a 50/50 on a landing

Picture three - is as result of a 50/50 on a landing

Picture four - is as result of a 50/50 on a landing

Picture five - is as result of a 50/50 on a landing

Picture six - is as result of a 50/50 on a landing

there isn't a fork out there which would take this punishment

All we refer to as 'crash damage'

We have sold hundreds of there forks - world wide

I know there are more examples, but the percentage of broken forks to forks sold - is very very low

2008 - forks are now all heat treated (new colours [not in your pictures])

2009... cant say to much at the moment... but there'll be further developments... obviously

Hope this clears these up for you

in all fairness, in the UK most 14 year olds swear by DMR, also do the n00bs. The older, more expierienced among us, tend to buy bikes custon built, or if your poor (like me) you save up for a benchmark decent bike, e.g NS Holy (soot) or Holy Guacomole, or an identiti p669something or other.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
The trailblade from my NS Majesty is now on eaterofdog's bike. It gave me no problems at all, dirtjumping, riding park and street. I'm no monster by any means, but I put it to the test, and it held up great. I got a really killer deal on a brand new one in white, is the only reason I got rid of it.