Quantcast

Is the romance dead...or are we just idiots?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
So yeah....it was my wedding anniversary the other day. My wife and I really don't make a big deal about it. Her b-day is end of Nov, then xmas. Grace's b-day is day after xmas, and Emily's is Jan 27. So we have plenty of occasion to buy presents. We don't really do much/anything for our anniversary.

Anyhoo, on the morning of Jan 3rd, my mom calls me and says, "Happy anniversary!". Eeeeeep! I had completely forgotten. I rush off to wish my wife a happy anniversary. Turns out she had forgotten too.

So we spend the rest of the day kind of laughing that we'd both forgotten. Later that afternoon, I check my watch (as I needed to know the time), and I notice the date. Jan 3rd??? WTF...Our anniversary is the 4th!!!

Yep. We didn't even know enough that we had it wrong, let alone just forgetting about it.....

Maybe it's my mom's fault.

Epilogue: The next day, (the real anniversary), we both forgot about it again until the afternoon sometime...........

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
I'd just be stoked you weren't the only one that forgot. Otherwise you'd have some unhappy days ahead.

firemandivi

They drank my Tooters
Sep 7, 2006
a state called denial
As long as both of you forget the anniversary its ok.
Its when the man forgets that they say romance is dead.
I'm not the most romantic person out there but I try every now and then. I'll buy flowers for my wife for no reason, cook a romantic dinner, etc. I find its the little things that woman really like. A back rub here, doing the dishes there and vacuuming without being asked etc.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
As long as both of you forget the anniversary its ok.
Its when the man forgets that they say romance is dead.
I'm not the most romantic person out there but I try every now and then. I'll buy flowers for my wife for no reason, cook a romantic dinner, etc. I find its the little things that woman really like. A back rub here, doing the dishes there and vacuuming without being asked etc.
Lightweight!! I do all that stuff on a regular basis! Except for the cooking.

(But I'm in a bit of a special situation)

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
I said I'm not that romantic.
I will offer the excuse that we've been together for over 10 years though.
explain "special situation"

My wife has some on-going health issues that mean that she's pretty worn out from dealing with the kids by the time I get home. So when I get home from work, I take over with the kids, make dinner, do dishes etc.........

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
We don't get all that worked up about our B-days and anniversary either. I'm pretty sure I'd be playing the 5 knuckle shuffle if I forgot to do a little something though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
People often forget extremely traumatic events. I'm guessing that is the case with your wife forgetting the anniversary.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
9/11 + Lay-off from Boeing + nullify work visa = Marry american
My al Qaeda link is slightly less practical...

Hook up with drunk girl at party in August '01. Decide not to pursue it further because we lived in different towns. 9/11 comes girl decides maybe she doesn't want to be alone if the world were to end, and changes mind about distance thing and gives me a call.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
My al Qaeda link is slightly less practical...

Hook up with drunk girl at party in August '01. Decide not to pursue it further because we lived in different towns. 9/11 comes girl decides maybe she doesn't want to be alone if the world were to end, and changes mind about distance thing and gives me a call.
Oh that Osama! Matchmaker!

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
after 15 years my wife and I forget the anniversary all the time.

It all went downhill when I invited all my friends to austin for camping on our 10th anniversry. She suggested the date.