Quantcast

Is their an American version of a 224?

SCARY

Not long enough
My orange is a 2007 ,so I need to atleast start thinking about a new frame.I really like everything about the 224(except jumping )weight,poppy and skippy ride quality,low.
So I don't know if their is a US made bike similar to that.Everything seems to be a plow , and I've done that already.Not near as fun to ride ,and I want to support a US company if it can work out.

Last edited:

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
The R9 was such a sick bike. I think the people that shouted "too long" or "hard to turn" about it just never got the bike up to speed. Finding a used one would be a really good call.

Does anybody recall the video of that guy (Ford?) doing the ridiculous teeter gap at Arrowhead a few years back? The video was a good demonstration of what the combination of skills and bulletproof workmanship can do.

I like the fact that the FB10 has the same pedigree but is 3lbs lighter!

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
My orange is a 2007 ,so I need to atleast start thinking about a new frame.I really like everything about the 224(except jumping )weight,poopy and skippy ride quality,low.
So I don't know if their is a US made bike similar to that.Everything seems to be a plow , and I've done that already.Not near as fun to ride ,and I want to support a US company if it can work out.
When we were at Sea Otter Orange was there showing the new version of the 224. It was really slick. Basically same frame design but now with a linkage. An american guy was becoming a distributor for Orange. I'd go with another Orange if you are so inclined but understand why you want to support American companies. I don't know of any American frame companies with a similar design.

Last edited by a moderator:

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
FTW's bikes ooze red, white and blue.

Spooky bikes has a new DH frame in the works that is planned to be 100% American made... There is some info floating around on ridemonkey, I think it rocks a split pivot rear, has input from DW, etc. I'm sure Mickey will chime in soon enough.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The R9 was such a sick bike. I think the people that shouted "too long" or "hard to turn" about it just never got the bike up to speed. Finding a used one would be a really good call.
a lot of riding isnt at high speed. i thought the R9 was a pig and handled like poop

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
When we were at Sea Otter Orange was there showing the new version of the 224. It was really slick. Basically same frame design but now with a linkage. An american guy was becoming a distributor for Orange. I'd go with another Orange if you are so inclined but understand why you want to support American companies. I don't know of any American frame companies with a similar design.
Yup, 2 of those 225s were our Transcend Orange Team bikes. It ride's GREAT and gets rid of the mid stroke dead spot the 224 had. Zedsport is he new american distributor. The owners are originally from the UK, about 15 minutes form the factory but have lived in Oregon for something like 10 years now.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
FTW's bikes ooze red, white and blue.

Spooky bikes has a new DH frame in the works that is planned to be 100% American made... There is some info floating around on ridemonkey, I think it rocks a split pivot rear, has input from DW, etc. I'm sure Mickey will chime in soon enough.
We're working on team bikes and development samples of the DH bike for the forseeable future- as far as production goes planning hasn't even begun.

A few DH bikes with a tiny margin(or even a loss!) v. 300 hardtails and road bikes or a few hundred 150mm bikes with a better margin is the sort of decision you need to make when you decide to build a batch of production dh bikes.
To make the Project X commercially viable we need to have some forgings made for the Splitpivot dropouts(we use the same ones on the light 150mm bike too)- after we make the forgings, the decrease in manufactured cost will make the ProjectX a viable product to bring to market- That is, unless someone wants to order a bike and pay $10k+ out of pocket for one! If someone ponies up the cash they can get one within a month or so. If a few more people want beta-bikes the price will go down significantly, eventually with enough bikes the pricing comes down to a "reasonable" level with CNC parts instead of forgings.

Works bikes aren't cheap...

If someone wants a domestically built bike, and they want it to race this weekend, to be fast as hell, lightweight and durable as a rock the FTW FB-10 is the logical choice.

AFAIK there are only a few frames left from the current run- they're a damn good deal, so people should jump on them before they are gone.

Frank and Max make those things with an insane amount of precision, love and care and FTW seems to have been listening to the input that really fast and demanding riders have been giving him...

SCARY

Not long enough
If your after a Poppy/lively American frame.... How about a Yeti 303RDH?
Wow ,that looks REALLY close to the 224.At 10.5 lbs,isn't that about a pound more than the 224?.I've got mine built at 36.2lbs and don't want the + 40 club again.
That price is Really good.Are they actually made here or overseas?And are there issues with the rails?Those look damage/mud prone.I do dig the adjustments and the Teflon chain guard thing.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Wow ,that looks REALLY close to the 224.At 10.5 lbs,isn't that about a pound more than the 224?.I've got mine built at 36.2lbs and don't want the + 40 club again.
That price is Really good.Are they actually made here or overseas?And are there issues with the rails?Those look damage/mud prone.I do dig the adjustments and the Teflon chain guard thing.
They are made overseas if you're concerned.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
My large is in the low 40's (42-43ish) with a Fox 40, full Saint, DT Swiss 2350 wheels. Could go sub-40 with a bit of work I believe.

That price is Really good.
No kidding! However, if you can afford a 2010 that's what I'd recommend. Tapered steerer, better shock (unless the Go-Ride ones have the RC4?), sicker paint.

Are they actually made here or overseas?
Overseas, but still welded by hand by good welders. Regardless what people may say or think, though, Yeti is still a small company with no more than 2-3 dozen employees.

And are there issues with the rails?
Nope.

Those look damage/mud prone.
They're not.

I do dig the adjustments and the Teflon chain guard thing.
Sweet adjustments, although I've found I like the lowest/slackest setting the bestest, and run that all the time. Chain guard thing helps them ride like ninjas: silent and with deadly precision.

I drank the Kool-Aid, it was turquoise.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
you could also wait till next season or the end of the summer and grab a new turner...not sure how they ride but if it's anything like the DHR's of old then you'd be in business

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Is there word on the intense m9.I've read that it's suppose to be more lively ,but who knows.Are they talking a release date yet?
M9-FRO
Is everything you want SCARY, and more.
Official announcement on availability is soon.
Fool, you can always email me, we go back ;)

Oh, and its made in america, I can see them being welded from my office window.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
yes i'm aware it's a completely different design i meant in terms of the ride quality not so much if it had parallel ride characteristics (if that makes any sense)

SCARY

Not long enough
M9-FRO
Is everything you want SCARY, and more.
Official announcement on availability is soon.
Fool, you can always email me, we go back ;)

Oh, and its made in america, I can see them being welded from my office window.
I sent one off to the intense email assuming you have an address there.
FYI*I know you're kinda new there,so I don't know if they told you not to stare at the blue light, while looking out your office window.I may be a little late on that one.