Quantcast

Is there a dh/fr scene in Montery; I am moving there?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I am moving to monterey. I am pissed off because There are really good trails here like tunel, knaps castle, coldsprings which I haven't even ridden. It also sucks because I like surfing in Morro Bay were the water is moderatly cold. THe water in monterey is so cold.

Is there anything to fr in monterey?

cornholio

Chimp
May 6, 2005
santa cruz is not far from monterey, and it has a lot of good options for both surf and bike. in monterey all i know about is fort ord, nice singletrack, but mostly xc type stuff.

and if you don't mind the drive, northstar is your fix if you want tech rocky stuff. if you haven't already been, definitely go check it out. it's a long drive, especially from monterey, but it's worth it.

markk

Chimp
Dec 15, 2004
Santa Cruz
The water is way colder in Morro Bay than up here. Alaskan current hits Cal right there at the Rock.

I've heard Carmel has some good trails. Never ridden them though.

F.O.G

Monkey
Feb 8, 2005
Monterey, CA
markk said:
The water is way colder in Morro Bay than up here. Alaskan current hits Cal right there at the Rock.

I've heard Carmel has some good trails. Never ridden them though.
There is NO way the water here in Monterey is warmer than Morro, especially when Duke is running the plant. Now Santa Cruz on the other hand is not to bad. I've lived here in Monterey/Pacific Grove since 96' and there is a fair amont of riding. Like previous posts a quite a bit of quick fun xc singletrack in Fort Ord area and some people poach the hiking/horse trails in Pebble Beach. The only freeride/dh group is a bunch of mid teen kids riding their dh/Freeride bikes about town. Anyhow talk with the boys at Josselyn's and with the guys at Family or Another Bike Shop in Santa Cruz for all the fun stuff. Oh, and welcome to Monterey.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
A while ago When I was at the skatepark, I talked to some kids one had a apecialized- demo8 thnk, another had a gack hardtail and I don't remember the other bike. They said they they built a trail at black mountain or something. THey said rangers chase them down it.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I was up there the past few days. I talked to someone at the skatepark. He told me about the trails off 68 by the hospital above the golf course. He also told me about the urban riding at fort orde. He said there are some djs there, but the bmxers are very territorial and wont let mtb ers riding them because they case them. I won't go- its probably too big and steep.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
That must be somewhere else.... THere is no riding in santa cruz.

..There must be some good trails there, that place looks fun. I knew there were trails somewhere there with all the mountains.