Quantcast

Is there a good photo Browser for RAW images?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I have a Canon 10D, and Canon's zoombrowser sucks. Its really really slow, and doesnt let me see my images very well. Is there a better way to do this without opening each image in Photochop?

Thanks

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
search over at DPReview.com. i used some program that was recommended over there, which i downloaded, but can't remember the name of.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Handlebarsfsr said:
i just pop my memory card in the reader, and use windows to do it- simple, effective, free.
... and doesn't work if you shoot RAW

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Toshi said:
... and doesn't work if you shoot RAW
Transcend said:
Not with RAW you don't!

Well, I guess they said it for me :)

Is there THAT great of an image quality difference between a low compression JPEG and a RAW image?

I know you have all the fancy PhotoChop stuff like exposure and color temperature, and all that, but can't you do most of that to a JPEG in PhotoChop?

The question is, it is worth all the extra time and hassle that a RAW Image causes or will I get basically the same quality if I shoot Large/Fine?

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
i always shoot raw. exposure latitude can be mimicked in photoshop for most cases, sure, but setting the white balance after the fact is a pain in photoshop in my experience. much easier to click balance on something grey. i also like to avoid sharpening until the very last step, and DPP lets me convert with minimal or no sharpening to prevent those pesky halos and artifacts from becoming apparent.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Toshi said:
i always shoot raw. exposure latitude can be mimicked in photoshop for most cases, sure, but setting the white balance after the fact is a pain in photoshop in my experience. much easier to click balance on something grey. i also like to avoid sharpening until the very last step, and DPP lets me convert with minimal or no sharpening to prevent those pesky halos and artifacts from becoming apparent.

Two nights ago I was doing a pretty important publicity shoot. I decided I would dabble in RAW. I took 182 photos, and it took me FOREVER to go through them and decompress them to even look at them to see which ones I wanted.

Is there a better way to preview RAW Images, and then save them all as Tiffs or somthing that is easier to work with and give to other people?

As I said before, what I am using is Canon ZoomBrowserEX and Photoshop CS.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
did you look at the software i linked in my first reply? i like it.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
BigMike said:
Two nights ago I was doing a pretty important publicity shoot. I decided I would dabble in RAW. I took 182 photos, and it took me FOREVER to go through them and decompress them to even look at them to see which ones I wanted.

Is there a better way to preview RAW Images, and then save them all as Tiffs or somthing that is easier to work with and give to other people?

As I said before, what I am using is Canon ZoomBrowserEX and Photoshop CS.
Mike - the best of the best is called C1 pro. It costs an arm and a leg. Get the demo from phaseone.com. This is the same company that makes the 30k digital backs for medium format stuff.

C1 demo: http://www.phaseone.com/Content/Downloads.aspx
fully functional for 15 days.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Toshi said:
but setting the white balance after the fact is a pain in photoshop in my experience. much easier to click balance on something grey. i also like to avoid sharpening until the very last step, and DPP lets me convert with minimal or no sharpening to prevent those pesky halos and artifacts from becoming apparent.
:stupid: