Quantcast

Is there a power difference in Juicy 5s and 7s?

J

JRB

Just wondering. I may buy new brakes and they are in the mix. The 7s and HFX mags are too.

J

JRB

all those whiny weasels that think nothing is ever bike related said:
No one ever posts anything bike related.
Where are all those whiny bizzles to tell me about these brakes???

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Same brakes but dont have that stupid knob that will break off. Talk to castle about it he has the 7s and the 5s.

DitchWitch

Chimp
Feb 21, 2005
Northern California
the only difference that i could tell between the 5 and the 7 is the little dial. But, i heard that the Juicy 5's also dont have the split perch mount so you have to remove all your shifters and grips to take the brake off. i think that they are a different colors too...... but so far everyone's been saying the 7's are a better selection.

J

JRB

Cool thanks mobius. I am still contemplating the 5s or Hayes. I think I can live without the knob.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
mobius said:
Same brakes but dont have that stupid knob that will break off. Talk to castle about it he has the 7s and the 5s.
take the red knob off (remove c-clip) and install it upside down - problem solved, no more broken knob.

Mozo

Chimp
Sep 6, 2004
Stavanger, Norway
According to "Bike" a german mountain bike magazine it says the Juicy five has 317,1 N. 356,4 N and 357,4 N in the 160mm, 180mm and 205 mm respectively of stopping power. The juicy seven has 317,1. 356,4 and 348,5 N in 160mm, 180mm and 205mm respectively. This mean the juicy 5 has more stopping power in the 180mm format while in all other disc sizes they are the same. However in the wet the juicy seven provides more force , but only in the 205 mm offering.

DitchWitch said:
the only difference that i could tell between the 5 and the 7 is the little dial. But, i heard that the Juicy 5's also dont have the split perch mount so you have to remove all your shifters and grips to take the brake off. i think that they are a different colors too...... but so far everyone's been saying the 7's are a better selection.
7's no longer have the split perch either.

J

JRB

I am leaning towards ordering the 5s.

Here's what I consider -
I know one guy with 7s and loves them.
I read tons of stuff about the 5s and 7s leaking.
I have Hayes on Julie's bike that used to be mine and I liked them pretty well, I just bought Louise's because I wanted something new.
The Louise's are a pain in the ass to adjust to keep them from rubbing for me.
I can buy some 5s for $120 a side.
I can buy some 7s for $150 a side.
I can buy 04 HFX Mags for $144 a side.
I can buy 05 HFX Mags for $159 a side.
Either way, the Hayes will cost $20 more, since I have to buy adapters, making them over $300.
For $360 I can get HFX Mag Plus, and everyone knows that is the best idea since it has carbon. :D

I hope someone will say the 5s are a good choice, since they will be $60 cheaper than the next option.

COP - I kind of thought I noticed that the 7s don't have that any more. It's nice, but I have a compressor that I use to pull grips off, so that is not a big deal. I am not sure I love that about the Hayes any way.

J

JRB

Skookum said:
oh my turn? ok...
uhm.... one is juicier than the other?
good stuff - I just noticed the 5s weigh 40 grams more per end. Weird since they are the ones without the knob. :think:

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Buy the 5's and the 7's, test them both, keep the one you like the most, then send the other to me. :D

J

JRB

I was told that the 5s don't have dual pistons. Is that right? I also read that Louises do, and I looked at mine today and they are clearly singles.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Acadian said:
take the red knob off (remove c-clip) and install it upside down - problem solved, no more broken knob.
Yeah castle did that to his i think. But then he put 5s on his vpfree and left the 7s on his heckler.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
yo, mobius is speakin the truth, I got some ride time in on the J5's today and they feel/perform exactly the same as the 7's without the pad contact adj. (red starwheel). (very pleased with the performance of these brakes; I have the 203mm rotors on both bikes)

I also did the little mod Acadian is talkin of becuase I saw him recommend it in another thread, much respect due. haha thanks man! :thumb:

here's a picture for you guys

or two

with the XT shifter pods, they clear fine, fully functional while tucked away inbetween the brake and shifter. On the triggers I'm not as sure they'd fit the same because the triggers are so "ergo" to the Juicys I'm not sure it would work as well....... I guess you could just rotate the shifter a little further back to get the room.... not real sure as I have not tried this yet...... anyone tried this?

J

JRB

Ordered the Juicy 7s. They should be here by Thursday. Many thanks to all with advice. Biggest props to Castle, who shared a good bit of info through PMs. :thumb: