Quantcast

is there a software that do this???? (preferably FREE)

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
hi.
binaryvisions and others from the RM oracle.

i need a software that does this.

i have a big database (say excel formatted, name, ID, and address)

i need a software that loads one line of the database at a time, and display an array (configurably) of options to ADD to that line on the database (add stuff like number, birthday, purchases, etc, etc)
then save, and open another one.

if i can do detailed queries, it would be a plus.. but i really dont need that. just inbox-user types a few data-outbox, and being able to recall an specific transaction (by ID, or name or whatever)
it has to be extremely simple (no access), because it will be used by people with minimal computer skills. the more simple the better.

i really need it asap... so please, if you guys can help me with some

thanks a lot

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Why don't you use Microsoft Access? It can hold a couple thousand records, and you can build forms pretty easily.

Keep in mind that database form design (actually any GUI) is like this: the more user-friendly, the better the design has to be.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm a little out of the loop with database programs (my last job used only Access for small databases and Oracle for our manufacturing) but I recently was asked by a guy to help him out with an ACT! database. The job fell through but in preparation for it, I downloaded ACT! and familliarized myself with it. It's customizable but the stock database is pretty good for holding customer records (which is what it sounds like you need). Includes things like birthdays, events, etc.

http://www.act.com/products/index.cfm

You can download a 30 day trial to see if it meets your needs. It's very visually appealing and easy to figure out.

I'm with Sanjuro on this one, though, Microsoft Access is pretty standardized and can be customized quite a bit. The ACT! database is pretty and all but you don't get as much flexibility (though you may not need it, if all you're doing is storing customer records). Plus, Access is usually on most users' computers if they have Office installed, you'll have to install ACT! for everyone.

I think you're asking too much, looking for something that's user friendly and free. Free database programs are very akin to using linux - powerful and feature-laden, but unpleasant to set up and use.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
There used to be an application suite called Open Office by Sun Microsystems. It was open source and free. I don't know if they still offer it, but it had the capability to work with MS documents and included a database system.

I'd check out either openoffice.org or sun microsystem's website. I think it's sun.com

Good luck, and what the other two guys said.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
binary visions said:
I'm a little out of the loop with database programs (my last job used only Access for small databases and Oracle for our manufacturing) but I recently was asked by a guy to help him out with an ACT! database. The job fell through but in preparation for it, I downloaded ACT! and familliarized myself with it. It's customizable but the stock database is pretty good for holding customer records (which is what it sounds like you need). Includes things like birthdays, events, etc.

http://www.act.com/products/index.cfm

You can download a 30 day trial to see if it meets your needs. It's very visually appealing and easy to figure out.

I'm with Sanjuro on this one, though, Microsoft Access is pretty standardized and can be customized quite a bit. The ACT! database is pretty and all but you don't get as much flexibility (though you may not need it, if all you're doing is storing customer records). Plus, Access is usually on most users' computers if they have Office installed, you'll have to install ACT! for everyone.

I think you're asking too much, looking for something that's user friendly and free. Free database programs are very akin to using linux - powerful and feature-laden, but unpleasant to set up and use.

yeah, i thought about access at the begining.

but i think its kinda too complicated for what i need.

the people who are going to update the database have very limited computer skills and dont speak english (and to top that, the licensed access i have is in english). they are used to using a program like am talking about, that was custom written in visual for them, that extremely user friendly... and even then, they´d have some problems.:p

i thought about writing on visual a small program that can update the database.... but i think that is kinda out of my league.
i thought there would be a small visual program like that in some library somewhere, i think there is VB forum somewhere with open source libraries....

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Forms can be designed in Access to be very user friendly, you just need to be put some thought into it. We had some Access databases being used by people who were almost unable to turn their computer on in the morning. Just gotta spell everything out :D

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
ALEXIS_DH said:
yeah, i thought about access at the begining.

but i think its kinda too complicated for what i need.

the people who are going to update the database have very limited computer skills and dont speak english (and to top that, the licensed access i have is in english). they are used to using a program like am talking about, that was custom written in visual for them, that extremely user friendly... and even then, they´d have some problems.:p

i thought about writing on visual a small program that can update the database.... but i think that is kinda out of my league.
i thought there would be a small visual program like that in some library somewhere, i think there is VB forum somewhere with open source libraries....
With Access, you can design a very simple form, with a lot of drop-down fields. It is probably the easiest program to design with.

In comparison, you write the whole thing in Perl with a Tcl/Tk gui, but it would be a huge undertaking for something Access is already built to do.

For funsies, I wrote a small phone dbm in Access for myself. It took hours to design it well, but it worked great afterwards.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
ALEXIS_DH said:
the licensed access i have is in english
Didn't know you already had Access.

I've created several Access databases for users in my organization where all the user has the capability to see is the form. You can customize it to do pretty much anything you want including programming buttons to query certain information.

The users don't even have to know tables exist beyond the forms.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
OMG Don't get ACT!. I was forced to use that POS for 9 months and it stank. It lames it over a network too!