Quantcast

Is there a special hell for this type of theft?

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Paralyzed 8 year old's wheelchair stolen from vehicle in Nazareth.

Wednesday, July 13, 2005
By JEFF SCHOGOL
The Express-Times

Adolph Marth was shocked to discover Monday that someone had stolen his 8-year-old daughter's wheelchair.

"How could you violate a child who is totally paralyzed from the waist down and be that brutal, to stoop down so low?" the Nazareth man said.

He said he had left his car unlocked when the wheelchair was taken from it, but "it would be the last thing I would think anyone would take."

Nancy Marth said her daughter, Abby, suffers from spina bifida, a birth defect where part of the spinal cord is exposed.

Abby cannot walk and her upper body is very weak, Nancy Marth said.

She said her husband had taken their daughter to Heritage Day on Sunday and then left the wheelchair in the car parked outside their home on the 400 block of East Walnut Street.

When she went shopping the next afternoon, she noticed the $3,200 wheelchair was gone, she said.

"I couldn't believe it. Who would steal a wheelchair? You could tell it was a child's wheelchair," Nancy Marth said.

She said she immediately reported the incident to police.

Nazareth police officer Alan Koch said police have no leads in the case but still hope the wheelchair will turn up in someone else's front yard.

"That's pretty cruel, if you ask me. She's a sweet girl," said Koch, whose daughter goes to school with Abby.

Nancy Marth said the insurance company will pay to replace the wheelchair, but it will take a while to get a new one.

The wheelchair was custom-made of titanium and with special wheels, she said.

It took a year to get the insurance company to pay for the wheelchair and Abby only got it six months ago, the Marths said.

Nancy Marth asks people to call Nazareth police if they see a "really snazzy wheelchair."

She also has a message to whoever took the wheelchair: "Bring it back."

But Adolph Marth said he doubts the chair will be returned, saying it is likely damaged, disposed of or hidden by now.

As for whoever took the wheelchair, he said, "Either God forgive them or they ought to rethink their lives a little, because that's as brutal as it gets."

( Nazareth police ask anyone with information on the wheelchair's whereabouts to call 610-759-9575 or 610-330-2200.)

That is just distasteful and whoever took it should be beaten.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Pinkbike kids are doing drops-to-flat on it as we type...

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
ok...i used to think the next rung up the ladder from pedophiles was a bike thief. i stand corrected...position has just been usurped by this fvcktard.

may his spine whither, his testicles rot and fall off, and his mind melt from dimentia

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
I would say the family has to accept a bit of responsibility for the incident through leaving the car unlocked...if it was in a public place. The car was in their driveway and the individual who stole it is most likely in their neighborhood (nothing else was taken so it must have been pre-meditated which makes this more disturbing).

J

JRB

Spero said:
I would say the family has to accept a bit of responsibility for the incident through leaving the car unlocked...if it was in a public place. The car was in their driveway and the individual who stole it is most likely in their neighborhood (nothing else was taken so it must have been pre-meditated which makes this more disturbing).
How so??? Why can't we live knowing some dickhead won't screw with our stuff??? It's a wheel chair for krissakes, not a freakin' Napoleon diamond.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
loco said:
How so??? Why can't we live knowing some dickhead won't screw with our stuff??? It's a wheel chair for krissakes, not a freakin' Napoleon diamond.
Well, the first part of your post sounds like a problem between you and the dickheads...of which there are plenty...which is why you lock your doors.

Notice I said they should take partial responsibility if it had been somewhere public. The fact that it happened in a residential area surprises me.

Seriously...I don't know who would steal a wheelchair, but bieng such a large investment, I'd be damn sure to lock the sucker up.

Spero said:
Blaming the victim. :nuts:

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
smedford said:
Yeah, ever stop to think that it was stolen by a cripple that needed it more?
How is a cripled person going to steal a wheel chair out of the back of some van, and how did he get there if he needs a wheel chair so bad????

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
johnbryanpeters said:
Blaming the victim. :nuts:
While I feel really bad for the family and the person/people who stole it are the lowest of scum, the family does share a small of the blame.

If they had to go through so much trouble to get the wheelchair and it cost as much as it did and the child depends on it, why wouldn't the family take a simple pre-cautionary step like to look the doors? Or better yet secure it in a garage or house? Whyy take a chance with something so hard to replace?

If I left a diamond ring sitting on the center console of my car and left the doors unlocked and someone stole it would you first calling me a helpless victim or a dumbass?

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
That's a horrible story. I always said that there was a special place in hell for bike thieves, but this is much worse. The person(s) who stole this poor kid's wheelchair should be beat down. I can't believe someone could be that cruel...