Quantcast

Is there an optimal suspension curve for racing or going faster.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
I don't know what you said but im sure my purpose wasn't whatever it is you meant
Am I wrong then that these type-things really only apply to Suspension Damping Engineers? Sure - there's of course an applicable seat of the pants feel to having particular leverage ratio segments, this alone - at least to mine eye - cannot be reliable when choosing a different bike. The Suspension and Damping are tandem, and of course rider weight.

...and Chainstay length.

...and Chainring size. lol This thread is interesting but I can't grasp the logic of it toward anything but the technology applied to control it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Uh, I'm not exactly sure of what you're trying to say, but I think you're saying "There's more to it than leverage rate curve".

To which I would certainly agree. However, all things being equal, and decaffeinating bike design down to the same frame same geometry with differing leverage rates, then yes, it does matter. It can be easier to tune, it can work hand in hand with a certain shock, or against another one. It can utilize lighter spring rates or manage travel better or give a different riding feel on trail. That's all pretty much regardless of damper. Besides, most dampers these days have forgone the magic voodoo of 2001, and instead focus on, you know, effectively handling the passage of oil over shims and through ports n' stuff. Gone are boost valves and inertia ports and that junk. With that, you really need a leverage curve that's going to pair well with a normal shock, and not one that has a regressive or overly progressive rate, as you won't get effective use of travel.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I just wanted to say that I'm very disappointed that it's been 7 days so far and no one has made a yeti speed trap joke yet. This place is really going downhill.

downhill... seewhatididthere?

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
I'd assumed as much Sandwich without having to revert to dated shock designs. The scope of this thread appeared to overly sterile however, so long as I had the right idea.

I don't expect Mountain Bikes to fall in line to the tune of FIA Motorsports possible future, where a standard engine block is used from F1 to Touring Cars, if that's what you're trying to say.

Last edited: