Quantcast

is there an OTC Medicine that will help make scars go away?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
vitamin-E... get the pills that are rubbery with the vitamin-E oil inside. Pop a pill -- literally -- on to the scar. Use a safety pin or something on the pill. Get the smallest bottle they have cuz it'll last you a long time.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
LordOpie said:
vitamin-E... get the pills that are rubbery with the vitamin-E oil inside. Pop a pill -- literally -- on to the scar. Use a safety pin or something on the pill. Get the smallest bottle they have cuz it'll last you a long time.
Interesting.......so do I rub it with or against the scar?

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
LordOpie said:
How much does it reduce the scarring?

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Will the vitamin work on old scars, i have this nasty self inflicted scar on my wrist where i had a wart... so i heated a hex wrench with the Benzomate and held it on there, its really ugly. :-?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
.:Jeenyus:. said:
How much does it reduce the scarring?
63%.

Mike, I joke :) but I didn't really understand your question. Just put/rub/apply vitamin-E oil -- regardless of where you got the oil from -- onto the scar.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I've learned a lot about scars and scar tissue in the last few months. Vitamin E does help a lot. But what also helps, and some people don't realize this, is massaging the scar. I'm not sure how much of that you can do to a nose, but in general, the more blood flow you can get to the scar, and the more you can break up the actual tissue that forms the scar in the first place, the more the skin will repair itself and over time disappear.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Well, my scars are probably never going to go away, but I don't really want them to either. Where mine are at, the skin is very thin and scars have a tendency to thinken and stay raised. I've got a 6 in incision scar along the inside of my hand and wrist, a 2 incision scar along the top of the wrist, and a three inch incision scar along the ridge of my pelvis. In your wrist, the more thick the scar, the less flexibilty you can gain back. I also have to consider that I may need more surgery. If they have to go back in they will need to open it back up along the old scar or very close to it. The more flexible and healed it is, the better for healing the second time around. The more I help them heal, the fewer problems I will have later.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Hey DH Diva, its not Mahatma. Its Mohandas. (your sig)

Mahatma means "Great Spirt" and was a sort of title given to him by the people. Yes I am very bored right now... :D

Edit: If you already knew that feel free to bitch me out :thumb:

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
.:Jeenyus:. said:
Hey DH Diva, its not Mahatma. Its Mohandas. (your sig)

Mahatma means "Great Spirt" and was a sort of title given to him by the people. Yes I am very bored right now... :D

Edit: If you already knew that feel free to bitch me out :thumb:
No bitch out here. I'm all for people knowing their history. Gandhi was one of those historical figures that gained the people's respect through his incredible conviction and dedication, so I'm kinda fond of his "given" name. Alot of what he said made and still makes real sense (kinda like my sig!).

You really are bored!

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
I have a good friend who is a very well-respected plastic surgeon, now practicing in Chicago. He was offered a position at the Mayo clinic a few years ago. He did some surgery on my face after a hockey injury and the scars are totally unnoticeable. Anyway, I asked him about Vitamin E at the time, and he said it almost always makes the scarring worse, not better. He said the body would just do its best to remodel it over a couple of years. As a physio, I have used laser and high-dose ultrasound to soften scar tissue, and then some frictions over the raised scar tissue to flatten it out, or stretches to puckered scar tissue to lengthen and mobilize it or free it from underlying tissue if it is adhering. I can't say it works miraculously well, except on really bad or tight scars. The problem is that keloidal tissue is not skin tissue, and will not return to being normal skin.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
DH Diva said:
You really are bored!
Yep, although I do have a good deal of homework that *could* occupy my time if I choose it to. :p

Einstein had a great quote on Gandhi that I'm sure you have already heard, but just in case:

"Generations to come, it may be, will scarce believe that such a one as this, ever in flesh and blood walked upon this earth."

:thumb:

bigginsis

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
standing at the edge of reason
i had a skin cancer removed and wound up with a nice raised scar. my doc gave me an RX cream for it but also told me about Mederma, which is supposed to work on scars. One word about mederma though - it's expensive and take a few weeks but from what i have read in the medical lit about it, it does help.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Girlies right. The acutal vitamin E itself doesn't heal scars. What is does do is help keep your skin healthier by keeping it moisturized, and the action of massaging it into your scar increases blood flow. Both of those things greatly contribute to healthier skin and healthier skin heals faster.