Quantcast

Is there anything you wont spend Money on??

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
There are a heck of a lot of things to buy if you are into Mountain Biking. some necessary and some.. well we will call them Bling. I dont know why , but I just cant see myself buying a pair of sidi shoes for $225. I like the shoes i have, they are comfy, fit well basically do their job.. I cant see spending more. Yet... I will spend extra money on bling... like an XO deraileur... its really not neccesary to have it but it looks so nice...

Is there anything you just wouldnt pay the price for ???

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Yesterday I went to a shop to order some parts. Id heard good things about the shop, and they were an SC dealer, so I knew they could get what I needed.
I asked them to order me a new bearing and hardware kit, and they said it would be "Somewhere around $200 for parts and labor"
I nearly **** myself. I said "How much for just the parts?" The guy says, "About $75, but it costs so much because we have to take off the shock, tap out the bearings.."
WTF? No thank you. I f***ing HATE bike shops. I HATE THEM! Unless its an emergency, they'll never see an effing dime from me.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Yeah, I won't pay full retail for bike clothes. When I need bike clothes, I'll buy whatever is on sale through an online retailer. I'm not picky.

I didn't mind paying $180 for my Shimano shoes. Comfortable, durable bike shoes are hard to find. I've beaten the piss out of those things and there isn't a loose thread on them.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
ThePriceSeliger said:
In CT, murder, I beleive is a crime. Don't quote me, but I don't think it is legal.
Dude, you think the cops in Simsbury or Avon could solve a crime like that? Their biggest problems are speeders on Route 44. :rofl:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Sidi shoes are the diggity. You just gotta wait for them to go on sale. The Dominator's I've been using for the past 3 years cost me $79.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
hooples3 said:
There are a heck of a lot of things to buy if you are into Mountain Biking. some necessary and some.. well we will call them Bling. I dont know why , but I just cant see myself buying a pair of sidi shoes for $225. I like the shoes i have, they are comfy, fit well basically do their job.. I cant see spending more. Yet... I will spend extra money on bling... like an XO deraileur... its really not neccesary to have it but it looks so nice...

Is there anything you just wouldnt pay the price for ???
I just bought some of thoes. HOLY they are like wearing bedroom slippers when I ride! They are well worth every penny.

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
BurlyShirley said:
I asked them to order me a new bearing and hardware kit, and they said it would be "Somewhere around $200 for parts and labor"
I nearly **** myself. I said "How much for just the parts?" The guy says, "About $75, but it costs so much because we have to take off the shock, tap out the bearings.."
WTF? No thank you. I f***ing HATE bike shops. I HATE THEM! Unless its an emergency, they'll never see an effing dime from me.
Bearing and hardware kit for a Heckler is $25 direct from Santa Cruz. I don't think the Bullit kit would be much more than that. Hell, our local Lowes has a drawer full of bearings (same size, number as the ones on my Heckler) for around $3 a piece. Next to that is another drawer full of any type of bolt, or bushing you would ever need.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Booker said:
Bearing and hardware kit for a Heckler is $25 direct from Santa Cruz. I don't think the Bullit kit would be much more than that. Hell, our local Lowes has a drawer full of bearings (same size, number as the ones on my Heckler) for around $3 a piece. Next to that is another drawer full of any type of bolt, or bushing you would ever need.
Question: Do I need a special tool to take out and press in the bearings? If so, what is it?

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
Santa Cruz also sells a "bearing tool" for $25. On my old Banshee Scream frame, i knocked the bearings out with a punch and socket and installed them with a bench vise. Its not that hard and if you screw it up, crash replacement isn't much more than what the shop wanted to do the job in the first place.:dead: :)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Booker said:
Santa Cruz also sells a "bearing tool" for $25. On my old Banshee Scream frame, i knocked the bearings out with a punch and socket and installed them with a bench vise. Its not that hard and if you screw it up, crash replacement isn't much more than what the shop wanted to do the job in the first place.:dead: :)
Well, that makes it even more insulting that they quoted me at $200. ****ing bike shops.

BAH

The Red Baron
Sep 29, 2005
America
mtn biking clothes. Most are just too gooney. I pick up my riding duds at the goodwill. My last full riding outfit cost me around $3

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
BAH said:
mtn biking clothes. Most are just too gooney. I pick up my riding duds at the goodwill. My last full riding outfit cost me around $3
I usually get my stuff at Sports Authority or something. You can get nice, high end fabrics for "running" or "hiking" that are the exact same crap at 25% of the cost of "biking" gear.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
BurlyShirley said:
Well, that makes it even more insulting that they quoted me at $200. ****ing bike shops.
It sucks that your new shop turned out to be flamers. Sometimes I wonder what is going on in their heads. A guy walks in with a high end freeride bike, they have a chance to gain a customer who obviously buys high end stuff. Instead they try to rip him off, thereby ensuring he will never come back and will never recommend them to anyone. Makes me feel lucky that we have a cool shop owner in this town.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Echo said:
Sidi shoes are the diggity. You just gotta wait for them to go on sale. The Dominator's I've been using for the past 3 years cost me $79.
nice!!!! and where did you find that score?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
BurlyShirley said:
I usually get my stuff at Sports Authority or something. You can get nice, high end fabrics for "running" or "hiking" that are the exact same crap at 25% of the cost of "biking" gear.

Walmart (as much as I hate them) and even Old Navy has cheap jersey-like underamour-type stuff as well. I think I paid like $12 a shirt?

J

JRB

Echo said:
I've never paid more than $150 for them, but I have had Dominator 4s and the SRS ones. Neither lasted more than a year. The velcro even failed on the dominators. They are comfortable, but the quality seems to have taken a dive over the last couple of years. I am with Babs on Shimano. I have some of the ugly old carbon ones and I really like them. I wish they were a little more narrow, but I like them. I am sold on Shimano shoes and drivetrain parts.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
jdschall said:
Walmart (as much as I hate them) and even Old Navy has cheap jersey-like underamour-type stuff as well. I think I paid like $12 a shirt?
For real. I got some WalMart underarmor "Starter" brand I think. Works fine. I think it was $8

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
jdschall said:
Best deal ever are the sub $6 Duofold T-shirts from Campmor.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I refuse to pay for just about all bling on a bike. For me, function comes first. I could care less if it looks like azz so long as it functions better than the other options. I went through the neon ano thing in the 80's on my BMX bikes, and I think it cured me of all bling addictions from there on out.

And McDonalds food. I won't pay for it or eat it.

You ALWAYS pay for sex. You just don't always get a reciept. It is like a hidden tax.