Quantcast

Is there anything you wont spend Money on??

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
loco said:
I've never paid more than $150 for them, but I have had Dominator 4s and the SRS ones. Neither lasted more than a year. The velcro even failed on the dominators. They are comfortable, but the quality seems to have taken a dive over the last couple of years.
Damn. The first pair I had lasted 4 years and the current pair is on 3 years... I'll be bummed if their quality went down the tubes, I never had another shoe I liked :(

J

JRB

I go to Academy for some stuff, and the shop for some. I buy very little, except for shorts, but do buy nice PI shorts for the road. I have 2 pairs of microsensors that were both under $80 a pair with coupons from Performance.

BS - did you have your frame faced already? What is the charge for that with these cats?

J

JRB

Echo said:
Damn. The first pair I had lasted 4 years and the current pair is on 3 years... I'll be bummed if their quality went down the tubes, I never had another shoe I liked :(
Wumpus and I talked about it and he bought some non-carbon shimanos, and I think he likes them. I love the fit of Sidis, but they aren't as solid. I can't believe they haven't done carbon mtn shoes, but also can't believe the cost of shoes. The new nike mtn shoes felt pretty nice, but I bought Shimano instead last. I'm glad I did. It does suck that prices go up and quality goes down. Some folks may have good luck still, but I am pretty hard on shoes somehow. I will say, I never broke a buckle on sidis though.

Echo said:
Same here... last pair of Sidi's I had lasted almost 6 years. I currently have the top of the line Shimanos and regret not buying another pair of Sidis.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i used sidis for a while and they lasted about 3-4 years. problem was cost (echo, finding a new pair for $70 is unreal) and the slippery sole, which was like teflon when walking over rocks or wet stuff.

i've got a pair of specialized now, which are good shoes for about $100.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
Drugs (legal & Ilegal) Alcohol, cigarrets, ladys of the Night and the ones that dance on telephone poles for a living among a few other things that i find kind of futile..

I will spend a lot of money on fancy Stainless steel bolts, scrap materials to get "Drunk in the head" when i make a prototype and fancy tools so I can get "Stoned' on adrenaline,, but then again I use to have a Dominatrics girlfriend but she was "Off-dutty" when we were togueter, in fact i made a lot of her "Equipment " and we have a lot of fun doing it togheter.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
narlus said:
i used sidis for a while and they lasted about 3-4 years. problem was cost (echo, finding a new pair for $70 is unreal) and the slippery sole, which was like teflon when walking over rocks or wet stuff.
Yeah, Dick's had them on closeout for $79 and I got $10 off for applying for a Dick's credit card I never used. They had one more pair in my size, I don't know why the hell I didn't buy it.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I Are Baboon said:
Yeah, I won't pay full retail for bike clothes. When I need bike clothes, I'll buy whatever is on sale through an online retailer. I'm not picky.

me either. my super expensive pearlz izumi shorts, which i love by the way, have two huge holes in them from my crash on the road. gotta get them on sale because i tear them up so quick.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Echo said:
Sidi shoes are the diggity. You just gotta wait for them to go on sale. The Dominator's I've been using for the past 3 years cost me $79.
:stupid: I have a pair of Dominator IIs from around 1997 that are still going strong. :thumb:

Cost me $100 back then. Which is like 525 2006 dollars. :)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I get a lot of my outdoor clothes through Sierra Trading Post. I got a pair of Carhart shorts for $10 and DuoFold stuff for like $5 a piece on clearence.

I'm a cheap bastard. I don't run Chris King, or XTR, Troy Lee type crap. I don't skimp when it comes to audio/video/computer crap, but I also don't pay retail or buy "top of the line" either. I like scratch and dent sales, or closeout and display models. I also get stuff used, like my truck parts.

I replaced all my bearings in my Bullit with some from a precision bearing shop in town and they pressed them for me for free. They were 10x better than the ones that came stock and I think I paid $5 each for them.

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
STP is gooood. Nice (fugly colored) cycling shirts for $20. Sometimes less.
Do you get your shorts from Victoria's Secret???

J

JRB

johnbryanpeters said:
I want to see this... Actually, I'll join the fray.
I think you just put in the number that price won't be able to add in. Poor kid.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
loco said:
I think you just put in the number that price won't be able to add in. Poor kid.
So, I have like 20 RM guys that want to whatch me climb on a DH bike. This is going to be ugly. Tuff it out or buy a trail bike?

Good thing I'm fast on the down hill.

J

JRB

ThePriceSeliger said:
So, I have like 20 RM guys that want to whatch me climb on a DH bike. This is going to be ugly. Tuff it out or buy a trail bike?

Good thing I'm fast on the down hill.
Douglas says he is faster. I would just leave that rat hole corner they call New England and seek refuge in Amarillo if I were you. Those guys are mean when they don't like you. JBP looks like a "coder" to me as well. :D

J

JRB

I Are Baboon said:
Price, we'd go easy on you, buddy. :D

Oh, another thing I won't spend money on: GAS to pick up Price's sorry ass at his school. :teacher:
Scared huh???

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I Are Baboon said:
Price, we'd go easy on you, buddy. :D

Oh, another thing I won't spend money on: GAS to pick up Price's sorry ass at his school. :teacher:
Sounds like you're scared. You have a 17 year old beating you now?

P.S. I actually got the gas money, just drag your old ass to the Farms. If you won't come, Mark will.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
loco said:
Douglas says he is faster. I would just leave that rat hole corner they call New England and seek refuge in Amarillo if I were you. Those guys are mean when they don't like you. JBP looks like a "coder" to me as well. :D

true dat, I'll bring a sandwich, eat it at the top while I wait for Price to show up, and then kick his ass on the DH too

druber

Chimp
May 23, 2005
I have some Sidi Dominators that are in need of replacing. They are only 2 years old. Both buckles broke (one within the first two weeks). The velcro doesn't hold anymore. The seams are coming apart. I've already taken them to a shoe repair shop to get them fixed once.

Problem is that I have weird feet (long, narrow, flat, and thin) and I can't find any shoes that fit remotely as well as the Sidi's. I tried a bunch of shoes on at different shops and bought the ones that felt best in the store. On the trail, they sucked and I was wearing my Sidis again within a couple of weeks.

I hate to support crappy quality at such an expense, but I think I'm going to end up getting another pair of Sidi's. :(

Additionally, I can't wait until a close-out sale because I need to special order the narrow ones. :(

eric

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
druber said:
I have some Sidi Dominators that are in need of replacing. They are only 2 years old. Both buckles broke (one within the first two weeks). The velcro doesn't hold anymore. The seams are coming apart. I've already taken them to a shoe repair shop to get them fixed once.
You should send them back to Sidi. If I had problems like that with *any* product I'd take it up with the retailer/manufacturer.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
BurlyShirley said:
Well, that makes it even more insulting that they quoted me at $200. ****ing bike shops.
Ya, $200 is a bloody ripoff. I wouldn't go back.

I'm a college student, I won't pay for anything if I don't have to. That includes beer, women, food (especially food), bike parts, books, gas, beer, beer, beer, movies, music, and anything else I can find for free or close to free.

Free is always in style....:)

The Ito

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
BurlyShirley said:
Yesterday I went to a shop to order some parts. Id heard good things about the shop, and they were an SC dealer, so I knew they could get what I needed.
I asked them to order me a new bearing and hardware kit, and they said it would be "Somewhere around $200 for parts and labor"
I nearly **** myself. I said "How much for just the parts?" The guy says, "About $75, but it costs so much because we have to take off the shock, tap out the bearings.."
WTF? No thank you. I f***ing HATE bike shops. I HATE THEM! Unless its an emergency, they'll never see an effing dime from me.

Check the prices on the SC site. Its super simple to do work on the single pivot bikes (I had a Heckler). So easy in fact that you can rebuild that pivot or replace that drop-out without thumbs!

$200 is for herbs.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
laura said:
me either. my super expensive pearlz izumi shorts, which i love by the way, have two huge holes in them from my crash on the road. gotta get them on sale because i tear them up so quick.
I can fix that stuff for you guys.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
i refuse to pay 3 euro for a can of coke in these european ski resorts...

i pretty much don t pay retail for anything... i m pretty good at sniffing out deals...

plus i won t pay to take a leak (have a p1ss)... i ll take my chances and slash on the street...

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
druber said:

Problem is that I have weird feet (long, narrow, flat, and thin) and I can't find any shoes that fit remotely as well as the Sidi's. I tried a bunch of shoes on at different shops and bought the ones that felt best in the store. On the trail, they sucked and I was wearing my Sidis again within a couple of weeks.

eric

Sounds like mine. I just kept supergluing the soles(around the ball of my foot) back on. Cracked a buckle, but rode for months before I finally replaced it.

Got some Shimanos(180s?) on sale for $110. So far so good, but they are a little narrow in the toes compared to the almost custom fit of sidis.