Quantcast

is there such a thing as a "Flatland" MTB?

sean1978

Chimp
May 10, 2006
Is there a mountanbike setup thats good for BMX flatland style tricks? sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm a noob to mountainbikes..

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
not to my knowledge. but don't let that stop you.

the idea of flatland bikes is they are small and easy to manipulate. mtn. bikes tend to be large. what exactly are you looking to do on it?

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
There's no mtb designed for it that I have heard of, but I would think that if anything would work some sort of a trials bike would work the best. You will still need to figure out pegs or some sort of standing platform though. It'd be pretty hard to stand on the ends of the QR skewer. :D

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Seems like I saw a video of Hannah Steffens Hannah doing some sort of old school looking flatland tricks on her bike once. I don't recall what video it was however.

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
trials is not even really similar to flatland though, i think if u want to flatland bmx is the way to go. But trails bikes r uber sweet if u get very good at it. Do what you want, who knows mix and match trials and flatland on a 24"er. Could be cool.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I have a diamond back frame w/ monster mud tires and 4 inch DJ 2 forks. far from a flatland bike, but I can do many flatland stunts on it. however, if I was serious about flatland, I'd ride a different bike.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
formermtboarder said:
trials is not even really similar to flatland though, i think if u want to flatland bmx is the way to go. But trails bikes r uber sweet if u get very good at it. Do what you want, who knows mix and match trials and flatland on a 24"er. Could be cool.
Obviously they are not similar. But the requirements of having a quick bike that is small so you can move around it easily is the same. I don't think most flatland moves will be possible on an mtb. Mostly because it doesn't have 4 pegs or an easy way to attach them. But if someone wants to try it, a trails bike is going to be better than a DH bike...:nopity:

skurfer333

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
you can attatch pegs to a mtb the same way you do on a bmx bike. Just get solid axels for your hubs and bolt them on. Careful if you're running disc brakes though, especially with big rotors, you could hurt yourself pretty bad on those if you aren't careful.

skurfer333

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Bicyclist said:
This brings the question "what's the point?" to my head.
"because you can" seems to be enough motivation for some people. I've tried a few flatland tricks on my MTBs.... its possible, but I still think its more fun on a bmx bike.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yep. All I can do is a scuff but I don't know why you'd want to use a MTB for stuff like that.

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
in my afterwork ubertired daze last night i was thinking about this very thing. At some stage the crossover between bmx and mtb is going to be so strong that there will be bikes that are a cross between a flatland bike and a trials bike. Think: manual - up a ledge - to toothpick - landing on the ledge with both feet on the front pegs - kickflip off the wall; that's the first trick that came to mind.

have you guys seen what goes on in the uk these days? it's called 24" trials and it's street **** that's super innovative. to start check Leesonbikes.co.uk

just to go off on a tangent before i go off to bed; i find it increddible how much nuts design and just plain neato chi chi expensive stuff goes into trials these days even though it's fallen out of favour with the majority of riders. In fact there's more crazy trials stuff now when there are fewer people interested in it than there was five years ago. And all that crazy innovation almost seems for naught since trials guys typically go through gear like skateboarders do.

artistic cycling, look it up