Quantcast

is there such a thing as a splined micro drive sprocket?

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
I'm looking for something like deity used to (still does?) do... just a 19mm splined sprocket to securely fit onto the axle. I'm not a fan of the slop and tight/loose chain spots I get with the usual 7/8" + adapter. I'd like a 25 or 26T ideally. Thanks

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
the tree sprocket has a splined insert that matches up to the 48-spline spindle...it's pretty trick and eliminates the sprocket fixing bolt...

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
That's pretty trick. But what problems does it actually fix? I've got the 48 splined axle on my Profiles, and I couldn't really foresee any problems, or am I missing something?
lower quality sprockets that use adapters sometimes have enough "slop" that the sprocket isnt centered on the crank spindle. this causes the chain to be tight in some positions and loose in others. while this is really not a big mechanical problem with sprockets with "bmx cut" teeth, it is pretty annoying due to the chain slap that it can cause.

a good quality sprocket with a 19mm bore (no adapter) will also eliminate this problem.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
lower quality sprockets that use adapters sometimes have enough "slop" that the sprocket isnt centered on the crank spindle. this causes the chain to be tight in some positions and loose in others. while this is really not a big mechanical problem with sprockets with "bmx cut" teeth, it is pretty annoying due to the chain slap that it can cause.

a good quality sprocket with a 19mm bore (no adapter) will also eliminate this problem.
Ah I read this then checked my bike. I totally get it now. If they made a 27 or 26 tooth I'd take one. But... I forgot if profile is 22 or 19mm/

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
ThePriceSeliger said:
Ah I read this then checked my bike. I totally get it now. If they made a 27 or 26 tooth I'd take one. But... I forgot if profile is 22 or 19mm/
Profile = 19mm. Those are what I have.

Man those tree sprockets are sweet, but spendy! $64...

Yea I have one of the cheaper sprockets/adapters that has too much slop.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Profile = 19mm. Those are what I have.

Man those tree sprockets are sweet, but spendy! $64...

Yea I have one of the cheaper sprockets/adapters that has too much slop.
If you know someone with a lathe, you should be able to get them to make you a nice, accurate adapter. I can knock one out in just a few minutes.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
No can do on the splined part, but I can make you an adapter that fits dead nuts if you can measure your sprocket to within .001".

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
Tree splined chainrings are the greatest chainring you can buy. I love mine. I am running a 22-12t now but picking up my 24t today. They are the only chainrings I will ever run.