Quantcast

Is there such thing as a cheap bike?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I was just flipping through a Dan's catalog. They have complete bikes in there for like $300. Are they any good? I'd like to get a BMX for dirt jumping. Not sure if a 24" or a 20" would be better. But I really have no need for anything too grandios.

Are the $300 bikes crap? I truly no NOTHING about BMX bikes. Most of the brands in the catalog meant nothing to me. I recognzed Schwinn Specialized and Haro. And even then, I don't know what "level" they are...ie: a Hard Rock vs. a Stump Jumper.

I am a void. A vacuum. Null space.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by MMike
I was just flipping through a Dan's catalog. They have complete bikes in there for like $300. Are they any good? I'd like to get a BMX for dirt jumping. Not sure if a 24" or a 20" would be better. But I really have no need for anything too grandios.

Are the $300 bikes crap? I truly no NOTHING about BMX bikes. Most of the brands in the catalog meant nothing to me. I recognzed Schwinn Specialized and Haro. And even then, I don't know what "level" they are...ie: a Hard Rock vs. a Stump Jumper.

I am a void. A vacuum. Null space.
Some brands I would recommend are S&M, DK, Standard, We the People, Fit, FBM, and Haro to name a few. Most bikes over 350 should be ok.....D

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Cool. I would just want something that won't shatter the moment it touches dirt. But I also am not gonna invest too much into it.

And 20" over a 24"?

Originally posted by BMXman

Some brands I would recommend are S&M, DK, Standard, We the People, Fit, FBM, and Haro to name a few. Most bikes over 350 should be ok.....D

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
That is an easy question for a full time MTBer jumping in to BMX I would say definitely get a cruiser, it will be a lot easier for you to get the hang of, plus if you decide to race it there will be more people to race against. Free Agent has some sweet cruisers for 2002, in fact even most of the complete cruisers for around $300 would be nice bikes if you changed out the lame cranks for a set of Profiles.

The names to look for DK, S&M, Standard, Redline, Free Agent, I would skip Haro and Specialized.

S

seth399

my buddy got a haro nyquist for like 250...hasnt busted it yet and he does a bunch of street pounding stuff, he just rescently threw on 3peice cranks and has been fine...my dk was about 450 and its solid (though i bent the bars and am putting on better cranks):D

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Don't get too excited. They have dirt jumps at Woodland Park about 10 mins from my place. I'd like to give it a shot. But I don't know if I will be acting on these impulses any time soon...

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Yeah I'd love to get dirt jumping hardtail, like saaaaay.......an Imperial. But I just canna afford. I gotsta git mah dirtjumpin' sled on da cheap....

Hey MMike, I might be able to help you with a 24" cruiser...let me know if you're interested (pm).....D

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Hey thanks. I may take you up on that soon. My buddy was offering to sell me his old old old old Specialized cruiser for next to nothing. It's polished aluminium, oval tubing. It's in pretty rough shape now. I dunno if I want it.

Originally posted by BMXman

Hey MMike, I might be able to help you with a 24" cruiser...let me know if you're interested (pm).....D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Hey thanks. I may take you up on that soon. My buddy was offering to sell me his old old old old Specialized cruiser for next to nothing. It's polished aluminium, oval tubing. It's in pretty rough shape now. I dunno if I want it.

All I can say is I used to sell those Fatboy cruisers and there is a reason why they didn't sell well.....all that fancy designing didn't hold up to real world conditions.....Ant type of dirt jumping should be done on chromoly frames in my opinion....it's just one less thing to worry about.....D