Quantcast

Is this a good deal for a Noob bike??

MartyMcFly

Chimp
Nov 19, 2007
I recently rode my buddies cheapy Motebecane down a few trails and Good Lord, what a great time! I am hooked! I try to ride the bike at least once a day, whether it be too the grocery store or to the gym, I just have an absolute blast! Id really like to get involved with Trail riding.

I have been looking for a bike locally for quite some time as not to annoy my buddy by borrowing his bike all the time leaving him empty handed. I found a bike on Craigslist and me knowing nothing about bikes I thought I'd come to you guys and ask for assistance.

I found a 23" Specialized Rock hopper with Full Deore components, Mavic rims and a Manitou "six" fork. Im not sure if these components are anything special but he is wanting 400$ OBO. I am 6ft tall if that helps. I will try and post pics of the bike shortly.

TIA

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Too many variables to answer your question directly, so I suggest getting your buddy to go with you and look at the bike. Ride it around, see if it fits you well enough.

$400 is a good range to be in for your first bike. In three years, you will NOT love a bike that costs $700-800 today... you will either stop riding or want a better bike, so no reason to spend too much more than $400.

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
It's a decent bike, but for $400 you can get some great beginner bikes that include warranty and shop support (tune-ups and the like).

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Based on averages, I would say a 23" is going to be too big for you.

I don't know how Specialized sizes bikes, but I'm 6'3" with long legs and my Jamis is only a 21".

MartyMcFly

Chimp
Nov 19, 2007
Thanks guys,
Yeah the owner is 6ft 1" and its even too large for him. I think Im going to have to pass on it.

Are there any other bikes I should look for thats a decent starter bike??

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Thanks guys,
Yeah the owner is 6ft 1" and its even too large for him. I think Im going to have to pass on it.

Are there any other bikes I should look for thats a decent starter bike??
gonna agree with r464... just buy a new bike from an LBS (local bike shop) that has a good reputation. They'll give you free services, like fitting the bike, tune-ups, and some free knowledge too.

Do NOT get a full-suspension bike! They absolutely suck at that price range. Do NOT spend more than $500. You just don't need to right now. DO wear a helmet :D

MartyMcFly

Chimp
Nov 19, 2007
whats a good brand of bike and or model to look for around 500$? Thanks again for all the suggestions.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
If you go to a reputable shop... ALL the brands they carry. There are dozens of quality brands.

At any given price point, you're just not going to see substantial difference in quality among brands.

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
Lately I have been happy with the Giant Rincon. Find a Giant dealer locally and check it out. The specs include disc brakes and they run around $400 complete. The frame comes in 5 different sizes, so you'll be able to find the one you need.

miatagal96

Chimp
Feb 7, 2007
I still ride and love my entry-level mountain bike...that said, I've upgraded most of the components over time.

Here's what worked for me. I bought an entry-level Kona (other brands work as well)--it retailed for around $600-$650 at the time. It had a good frame, decent fork, rim brakes, decent wheels (with disc brake compatability), and decent drive-train. The frame was the same as the frame on higher models, so I was comfortable putting $$ into upgrades.

I was concerned about the rim brakes, but figured I could upgrade. With a limited budget, I decided to save about $75 on rim brakes so I could get a better frame & components. I've upgraded the wheels (noticeable difference), fork (wanted adjustability of an air fork), and a few other things like the saddle and grips. I'm still happy with the rim brakes, so they are staying--especially since I got an awesome deal on really nice rim-brake only wheels from someone who went to disc brakes.

I was helping someone shop for bikes and was intrigued with the Gary Fisher bikes. There are lots of other good brands as well. Fit and comfort is most important.

MartyMcFly

Chimp
Nov 19, 2007
Hey thanks Miatagal, r464, lord opie, and wumpus,

Ive taken both your advice. I Found a Giant Rincon and Gary Fischer Sugar for sale locally.

I can get the GF for about 500$ and the Giant for about 300$.

The gary fischer is an 03 model:
Large Black frame with new frame and rebuit rear shock
xt shifter/brake levers
avid single digit 7 brakes
xt rea der.
lx front der
lx cranks
I will also include a set of new Kenda Navagal tires
Marzocci Bomber mxc 100mm
Mavic cross ride rims

The Giant Rincon SE has:
shimane/sram/tektro components
aftermarket Bontrager saddle
RST suspension forks
Threadless headset
quick release Front & rear wheels
QR seatpost
Hoopster rims
replaceable dropouts & V Brakes

What looks like the better deal?

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Is the Fisher Used? It has much higher level parts than the Giant. I work a Fisher Dealer and if the bike is in good shape it should be a good value. make sure there are no cracks, nor a lot of play in the suspension bushings though.

MartyMcFly

Chimp
Nov 19, 2007
i went head and bought the Giant. I got it for 200$ and this is my first bike so I want to get some experience before I hit the big time.

Anyhow, I still may get the GF if Im able to sell it for a profit.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Crap. I wish I had seen this... a Sugar is an excellent beginner bike and $500.00 is not a bad deal - selling it for a profit might be rough but its guaranteed to make you a better rider than the Giant. :)

T.Rex

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Best deal in town: get it while it's hot. 2008 Rockhopper 29er disc in as new condition; large frame, orange paint. $650.00 and you can ride it away. I'll toss in cash and my bike for a nice Karate Monkey. send me a Pm if interested.
turtle,
seattle

Leon94

Chimp
Dec 10, 2007
McLean, VA
As a pure mountain biker and soon-2-be BMX'r (shopping for parts to customize over the Winter), from my experience, I would have to agree with most of the suggestions in not spending too much for your first "descent" mountain bike. I never got fitted for a bike, and regret doing so...had to go through many frames to discover which frame fits me best, so I too recommend getting fitted for a bike. The right frame and correct geometry will not only determine how well you ride, but how well you progress as a rider. Search for help on sizing (Top tube/ seatpost/ chainstay/BB height, standover height, weight).

That being said, you will gradually start replacing parts to suit your needs, whether you want better breaking performance, handling, suspension, or especially comfort. I will challenge anyone who sais otherwise in that every component on your mountain bike, or BMX, 29'r, or road bike will effect handling, performance, and reliability.

Unless you have been putting together bikes for several years, you probably don't want to shop for individual parts to customize your bike, it will be too costly.

I will stress "comfort" just because not much consideration goes in hunting for a comfortable saddle. There are several types of saddles, which claim to be more comfortable or stylish or dependable than the other, but you will have to try them out for yourself to discover which ones work for you.

I don't mean to get off on a tangent, but safety is the #1 priority, wherever you choose to ride. Things happen, so you must take every precaution necessary to ensure your safety. Don't be stingy when it comes to buying a helmet, among other things. A quality helmet will be more effective in a crash in terms of impact, reliability, and comfort, so buy a good helmet that fits perfectly. Never buy used!!!

Not sure where you're located, but you might want to visit these local stores: Performance Bicycle or Hudson Trail Outfitters. Most places will allow you to test ride their bikes with advice on which bikes will be suitable for you.
Hope that helps!