Quantcast

Is this a good deal? I'm trying to hook my friend up with a bike.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I just bought an Iron Horse MKIII Comp. I'm going to be taking almost all the parts off of the frame and using what I have already. My plan is to take my current frame and build it up with the parts from the IH and sell it to my buddy to get him a bike for not too much.

So here's what I'm thinking:

Used Weyless XP frame. It's in good shape, some scratches but no issues with it at all. 5th element air shock.
Used FSA Pig DH non-sealed headset

the following parts would be brand new from the IH:
# Fork - ROCK SHOX REVELATION 409 DUAL AIR, 130MM TRAVEL
# Handle Bar - EASTON EA30 DB LOW RISE, 31.8MM CLAMP
# Stem - EASTON EA30, 31.8MM CLAMP
# BB - TRUVATIV GIGAX
# Crank - TRUVATIV FIREX GIGAX
# RIngs - 44/32/22T ALLOY/STEEL
# Pedals - CRANK BROS CANDY C CLIPLESS
# Chain - SRAM PC-951 W/ POWERLINK
# Saddle - WTB ROCKET V COMP
# Seatpost - EASTON EA30
# Front Hub - ALLOY DISC, 32H
# Rear Hub - ALLOY DISC, 32H
# Front Derailleur - SRAM X-GEN
# Rear Derailleur - SRAM X.7
# Shifter - SRAM X.7 TRIGGER
# Cassette - SRAM PG-950, 11/34T, 9 SPEED
# Brakes - HAYES HFX-9 XC DISC BRAKE W/V6 ROTOR
# Brake Lever - HAYES HFX-9-XC
# Rim - DT SWISS X455 MTB
# Spoke - DT SWISS COMPETITION 1.8/2.0
# Tires - WTB WEIRWOLF 2.35 DNA CASING

I quickly came up with $1150. Is that a good deal?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
loco said:
No Reign???
Nope. I could've gotten one at cost too but something about the bike just didn't really interest me. I tried out the IH at a local shop and really liked it.

J

JRB

dfinn said:
Nope. I could've gotten one at cost too but something about the bike just didn't really interest me. I tried out the IH at a local shop and really liked it.
Cool - I hope it wasn't me. :D

J

JRB

It's probably a good deal, but I'd have a hard time paying more than a grand for it. That's just me though. No offense.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
stoney98 said:
I say over priced. He can get a new MK3 Sport for $1400 on performance. Better frame for $100 less...
I'd be hard pressed to pay more than $1000 for that bike/build.
$100 less than what?

This would be $1150 for a way better build than what comes on the MK3 sport. He's ridden before and he's pretty athletic so I'd be worried he'd be trashing some of those components that come on the sport quickly.

I figured you guys would think the weyless frame is worthless. I personally still think it's the best $400 I've ever spent on anything mtb related. This frame has taken everything I've thrown at it and never once complained. It's still as stiff and tight as the day I got it, I've owned more expensive bikes that I definitely can't say that about. I'm pretty sure I could get at least $200 for it in the shape it's in and in my opinion that is a smoking deal for a 5" frame with a 5th element air shock.

J

JRB

I don't think the frame is worthless. I am just thinking of what we have sold used frames with an OEM kit on a bike for here. I was saying what it's worth. How about we agree on $1050??? I'm not saying you are screwing him, just saying what I would do.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I am definitely thinking about lowering the price because I respect *almost* everyone's opinion on here.

I just new that once I said weyless everyone on here would say it was worth a lot less than I had in mind.

Keep in mind that this guy isn't a brand whore, not yet anyways. He's just trying to get back into the sport and I think this is a solid frame that he will be able to beat the crap out and not have to worrry much about it.

J

JRB

dfinn said:
I am definitely thinking about lowering the price because I respect *almost* everyone's opinion on here.

I just new that once I said weyless everyone on here would say it was worth a lot less than I had in mind.

Keep in mind that this guy isn't a brand whore, not yet anyways. He's just trying to get back into the sport and I think this is a solid frame that he will be able to beat the crap out and not have to worrry much about it.

I would do the same if it was a Jamis or a Giant or whatever. He'll get a good bike, regardless.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Just curious but how are you guys coming up with your estimates. Here's how I did it:

Fork - $300
BB & Cranks - $180
Wheels - $200
Brakes - $200
drive train - $100

So that's a grand in new parts. I figure a good deal on the frame is $150 and all the other little stuff like seat, stem, bars, pedals, grips and the little stuff like that were getting thrown in for free.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish ultimately with this one.

If your buddy is just getting back into riding and he's not a brand whore or component level whore - wouldn't a new bike with Deore level or LX level components on it make more sense???

J

JRB

I would figure more like $100 - $150 for wheels and no more than $125 for the cranks/bb.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
MMcG said:
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish ultimately with this one.

If your buddy is just getting back into riding and he's not a brand whore or component level whore - wouldn't a new bike with Deore level or LX level components on it make more sense???
Financially, yeah, I suppose so. I think the components he would be getting are much better than a deore or lx level though.

I thought I spelled it out pretty good in the first post but here it goes again. I just bought an Iron Horse MK3 Comp. I don't want the parts that come on it and I was going to ebay them. I have a friend who's really looking to get into bikes and I thought I could help him out by using these parts to build up the extra frame I am going to have once the IH gets here. Get it, got it, good.

I'm asking for second opinions to make sure I'm giving him a really good price on a bike that will last him a season or two while not breaking the bank. At the same time I don't want to short change myself by too much because money is really tight right now.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I wouldn't call it a "really" good price...it sounds about right, neither of you are making out like bandits. Maybe an even $1K plus a keg for your going away party? You know, the one up in Tahoe for all the Norcal monkies? :)

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
OGRipper said:
I wouldn't call it a "really" good price...it sounds about right, neither of you are making out like bandits. Maybe an even $1K plus a keg for your going away party? You know, the one up in Tahoe for all the Norcal monkies? :)
This buddy is back home. I think he already plans to buy a keg for when I roll into MA, he better anyways.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
still seems like you could do better on ebay with your parts and your buddy could do better buying a used or lower level FS bike that would get him by quite nicely for a couple of years. Just my two cents.

I think it is cool what you are trying to accomplish though.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
MMcG said:
still seems like you could do better on ebay with your parts and your buddy could do better buying a used or lower level FS bike that would get him by quite nicely for a couple of years. Just my two cents.

I think it is cool what you are trying to accomplish though.
That's interesting. What used or lower level FS bike do you think he might be better off with?

I'm almost positive that I would be better off ebay'ing this stuff, but I honestly can't see him getting a better bike than this at the same or similar price.

J

JRB

dfinn said:
That's interesting. What used or lower level FS bike do you think he might be better off with?

I'm almost positive that I would be better off ebay'ing this stuff, but I honestly can't see him getting a better bike than this at the same or similar price.
My opinion counts for very little, but rather than argue with us, just sell it to him. He is getting a good deal. If the frame takes a crap, he has a great build to put on another one. Like I said, maybe a little steep, but you are a savior if you do it for $1050.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I'm seriously not arguing. I'm really asking for any and all suggestions. If there's better options out there on the used market that I'm not aware of then please let me know.

I'm thinking I'm helping him out but if I'm loosing money on the deal only to charge him more than he would spend on something that would be better than that doesn't make sense for either of us.

J

JRB

You're helping him out. If the frame is in good shape, he is killing you, but it's guaranteed money. It's also easier than eBay.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I would honestly not pay a thousand dollars for a USED weighless frame with LX level components. No way no how.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'm with BS on that. Your estimates on price sound really high compared to what you could sell them on, say, RM for.

I say $8-900