Quantcast

Is this a good deal? Minute 1 fork?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Hey guys,

I got someone locally who's selling a 04, new in the box Manitou Minute 1 fork for $150. Are they alright forks for trail riding and such. It'd go on my 4" travel Cortina frame.

Just wondering, I don't know much about Manitou stuff.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I just sold an '04 Minute 3 because I could never get it to feel good. It was plenty stiff and never really gave me any problems but because of the SPV it had basically no small bump sensitivity. As I recall they changed the damping around pretty significantly for '05 and even more for '06. You might be able to retrofit the newer stuff for not too much money, maybe call manitou first. Sure, $150 is a great deal but not if you don't like it...

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
Hmm.....what about using it as a DJ/4x fork or would I be asking for trouble? I've never had anything with SPV or any platform stuff besides my 5th element on my M1. Fork wise it's just been Shivers (both DC and SC). I figured for $150 it wasn't too bad even if I didn't like it I should be able to get that much back from it. I sometimes wish my Shiver was stiffer on my XC'ish bike, stiffer as in it didn't suck everything up so easily. Plus the thing dives and bounces when riding. DH wise it's fine, but climbing or anything like that sometimes gets annoying, even with the ETA or whatever.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Personally I really like the way the spv feels on my bike (front and back). I have been riding a sherman slider and the spv is very nice. It allows the fork to pedal well and it seems to feel plenty soft. I have never ridden a minute but they seem like pretty nice forks. the minute is an XC/ trail fork so it should climb well. some people really seem to disliek the feeling of anything manitou. you may as well buy the fork and re sell it if you don't like it.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
$150 for a brand new Minute 1 Seems like one helluva deal to me. I'd jump on it as long as you are able to see the fork and confirm that it indeed is new and in the box - damn that's super cheap!

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
i ran mine as a 4x fork and a dj fork and loved it. i then ran it on my trailbike for a few miles and it felt nice. most people dont take the time or energy to correctly set up the spv. its all personal feel not what manitou says i have found out. lots of tinkering

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Maybe you can tell us what kind of tinkering you do to your '04 spv forks that gives them any compliance in the small stuff. It takes a lot of trail and error for me to give up on a product. I started with recommended set up and tried everything from wide open spv volume and minimal pressure to incremental changes of both and was not happy, so I sold it. I agree it might be ok for 4x and DJ, because for that kind of riding a lot of platform damping is a good thing, but he asked for trail riding impressions. And I have enough crap laying around that I never buy something knowing that I might turn around and sell it right away...

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
I'm trying to work on that $150 price, I think it's someone who isn't familar with cycle parts. But who knows...

$150 is still pretty cheap. It is indeed new, in the box, full steer etc...She won it at some raffle, but has no need for it or it seems any idea how much they run. I'd plan on using it either for a trail bike OR a DJ/4x/Urban thing. I currently have a shiver SC on my bike. It's got 4" of rear travel. I figured either fork will match up fine. But the shiver might be more of that DJ/4x/Urban thing. I dunno though, I guess whatever works.

If I can eventually get a hold of a frame and build it up I'd atleast have a fork to do so with. My cortina (4" bike) isn't great on the jumps or anything. The shiver's fine but to keep that bike whole it might work out. I basicly want to get a fork for another bike or this current bike and swap forks. I'd need a new wheel though. I guess a XT QR/EX721 to match the rear (XT/EX721). LOL that'd be easy, just buy another wheelset and swap front wheels.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I might be able to get a awesome deal on it. Hell if I didn't like it like said above I can probably get rid of it for close to what I paid anyways.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
id put the minute on your 4x bike and the shiver on your trail bike. much easier. i have no idea how the minute is set up currently but ill stick the shock pump in there and tell ya what it says

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I agree with the dj use. If you get a platform, cool. If you blow out the spv, then it's just like every other fork out there....which is fine. Either way, you're riding smooth terrain which won't harp on the one weakness of those things.

If you want to replace your shiver sc, I've got a fox vanilla r that's pretty much brand new I'll sell you for cheap. I think I've got every spring they make for it. It would be a stiffer steering fork for your xc ride and feel just as good suspension wise.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
Well.......got it for $135 :) Says 05 Min. One 130 :) Maybe it's an 05, it was given to the previous owner in 2005 so who knows.

Bad news is I got it out of the box, checked it out and everything, it's definately brand new. Went to make sure the adjustments work........and the rebound gave me 1 click.......and fell off. I'm already wondering why I ever bought a manitou product. LOL we'll see what they can do.

Well that one sucked, but on the other hand I just won a set of the new crank brothers 5050xx pedals for........you guessed it, $64 to my doorstep! Hopefully those are better than this fork.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
The Manitou minute 1 is a great fork specially at 150 Bucks But tis a XC fork all the way if you run Hayes Brakes youll need to get the Proper Bolts from Manitou our youll strip out the holes firs turn. little hard to get dialed but youll like it as a nice XC fork if you do any DJ with it itll most likely be a 2 peice soon...........good luck on it
________
White widow seeds

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Spunger said:
Bad news is I got it out of the box, checked it out and everything, it's definately brand new. Went to make sure the adjustments work........and the rebound gave me 1 click.......and fell off. I'm already wondering why I ever bought a manitou product. LOL we'll see what they can do.
You should probably check the connection between the rebound damper and the lower, as well as the oil level in that side. Some were coming to customers with a mashed o-ring that allows oil to leak. The o-rings are standard and can be found at most hardware store. If you are sending it back, ask them to check it out.
good luck.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
Ahhh I've sent a couple emails with pictures. If I don't hear anything back in the morning I'll call them up and see what can be done.

It's funny though. It's like a little plastic 6mm hex key that's attached to that blue rebound knob and it's made out of plastic. I know I got the fork cheap but jesus christ. A Plastic adjusting hex key? It snapped off about half way in, so if they tell me to use a scribe or a pic and see if I can get the rest out I can do that, and just replace that shaft, but if it has to be sent in that sucks, just for a broken off rebound knob?

I didn't see any parts for it either in a parts description which makes me wonder if they changed designs of the fork. You can take the blue knob off the plastic hex key thing and it is a clean break up inside the leg. I wonder if I can use like a sharp dental type hook to pull the rest out and just replace that piece.

Ahh god damm, we'll wait and see tomorrow