Quantcast

Is this a good dj bike?

thenewkid

Chimp
Oct 10, 2011
Hey guys, im new to your forums and relatively new to dirt jumping and bmx. I recently moved to bellingham next to the bellingham dirt jump park (look it up, its on youtube) and thought i would give it a shot. THe bike i am currently riding is an older mongoose frame (mid 90's?) with fly bars and fly stem, and everything else off a crappy walmart bike. When i land some of the "big jumps" it feels like the bike is gonna break under me. Im 12 years old 5'5 and 110 pounds, im looking at getting a new bike 200$ price range. The bike im interested in is the mongoose intake from walmart. Do you guys think i should get a new bike or put a few hundred bucks into my current bike? Thanks for the help.

Heres the link for the mongoose intake:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mongoose-Intake-24-Boys-Dirt-Jump-Bike/16913466?sourceid=1500000000000003260420&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=16913466

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Definitely do not get the Walmart bike. Although Mongoose used to have a good name in general, their Walmart line are really bad. The cheapest possible materials etc. With your budget, Your best bet is to check craigslist and buy a better brand at a used-bike price (which should be half of retail) for a bike in good condition.
If you're into 24"s you may want to check out 24" Bmx like the DK Cygnus 24, or Specialized P24. If you go to empirebmx.com, and albes.com you'll see what good Bmx brands are. Good luck.

thenewkid

Chimp
Oct 10, 2011
ok ill probably just end up fixing up my current bike to standards, does anyone know about older mongooses? The frame i mentioned earlier was purchased in such bad condition that i had to sand of the original chrome and painted it olive green, i would like to know if anyone could indentify the model if i posted a pic.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Also look for RideBMX magazine and DIG BMX magazine and read those for a few months and see what brands you like.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Keep that bike. Slowly replace parts as you need to.

PUT BRAKES ON IT!!!

The more you ride, the more you'll know what parts you want.
danscomp.com has great deals on parts. keep riding that thing and start saving your money.

thenewkid

Chimp
Oct 10, 2011
yes handbrakes are the first thing im gonna add to it, it currently has coaster brakes on . can anyone tell if its a good frame or a crappy walmart frame. Like i said before everything but the bars are from various walmart bikes, and im unsure on the frame. The serial number for the frame is HBDFO3669
thanks for the help everyone

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
who cares if it's a wal-mart or whatever? ride it!!

if you can't tell from riding it (and you currently can not), it doesn't matter. :)

thenewkid

Chimp
Oct 10, 2011
who cares if it's a wal-mart or whatever? ride it!!

if you can't tell from riding it (and you currently can not), it doesn't matter. :)
Haha i ride it all the time it might be crap but u gotta work with what you have!

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
given that you say youre twelve, you can make that bike work. if you break it, look up nitrous bikes

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
He's 12. He needs brakes (probably liner brakes, not 990's/center pulls). He can adjust the seat so it's not angle down. Ride it and start saving money. It's a mid 90's mongoose.

what's his alternative? not ride at all? fvck that.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
He's 12. He needs brakes (probably liner brakes, not 990's/center pulls). He can adjust the seat so it's not angle down. Ride it and start saving money. It's a mid 90's mongoose.

what's his alternative? not ride at all? fvck that.
I was at the indoor park a bunch of years ago and this younger kid came up on the deck. He wasn't looking like much and his bike was a clapped out Mongoose. I was siked just to see a kid ride and not needing a dialed rig like most of the others had. I felt sorta sorry for him until he dropped in and boosted the box line higher than anyone else that day. That kid rode better than 90% of the "riders" there.

I agree - at 12 years old - get some brakes.

One more tip - find a local trail spot and help dig and ride. I would bet money the older guys there will start hooking you up with parts - not to mention you might learn something useful about riding bikes. I gave a kid a Standard STA w/ a bunch of parts this summer since he was helping out sweeping and stuff.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
It has coaster brakes. He does not need to be wasting funds replacing the rear wheel and installing hand brakes.

Ride it like it is and bug the living sh!t out of your parents, man. Try to get them to go in with you. You can get a decent bmx off craigslist for 250-400.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
not sure how you can tell it has a coaster on it from that crappy pic.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
lol, what's this thing you call, 'read' ? :D

totally missed that bit...

so, he can go work on freecoaster tricks..... back in my day, a freestyle bike wasn't a freestyle bike if it didn't have a coaster brake on it!!!!! ;)

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
wonder if the OP is still stoked on bikes, got his bike up and running or has he moved on to RC cars....?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The DK Xenia is now $270 at Wally World. It's a tough call, not a bad build spec for under $300. It's damn near as nice as my Black Market Three57 minus the DJ fork and disc front hub. But I can't bring myself to support WalMart. :rofl:

Hey, can someone buy one for me as a gift?

<edit> and you can have it shipped to your door for $1 so you can build it yourself.

thenewkid

Chimp
Oct 10, 2011
Wow, I was browsing the forum for the first time in a couple years and found this thread! Yes I am still stoked on bikes, the mongoose currently resides in a dumpster somewhere and my current bike is a mongoose fireball that I purchased after working the berry fields all summer. I guess that I'm always gonna be a mongoose fan!