Quantcast

Is this a good HDTV?

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology' started by LordOpie, Feb 17, 2008.

1. LordOpie

LordOpie MOTHER HEN

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0

Please register to disable this ad.

2. mntbiker2

mntbiker2 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    sure!

3. valve bouncer

valve bouncer Master Dildoist

Rep/Likes:
    9 / 16
    I'm in the market for a 46" LCD and I don't think that one would be on my shopping list. Obviously here I'm more inclined to a "when in Rome" sort of mindset. I've pretty much decided that any consumer electronics I buy from now on I'm gonna get a 5 year warranty, which here costs between 1-5% of purchase price. The extended warranty for that one is 20% of the cost for only 2 years.

4. binary visions

binary visions The voice of reason

Rep/Likes:
    83 / 361
    Specs look good, but I noticed when I was shopping that standard definition upscaling was vastly different from brand to brand. After seeing the various differences, I'm not sure I'd buy a TV without seeing it in person.

Also, I wonder what the actual contrast ratio is? 8000:1 is their marketing fluff number.

5. Arkayne

Arkayne I come bearing GIFs

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 12
    Specs look good and the reviews I found on the web are positive. However, quality is subjective, especially if it's your first big screen. I'd make some calls around town and like Binary said, see if you can see one in person.

It's $100 cheaper at Newegg.

6. stevew

stevew unique white person

Rep/Likes:
    249 / 2,372
    I've never heard of it.

7. Transcend

Transcend My Nuts Are Flat

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    as BV said, never by an HDTV without seeing an SD signal on it in person if you plan on watching SD tv. They go from spectacular, to utter ****, often within the same brand.

8. LordOpie

LordOpie MOTHER HEN

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Excellent advice!

However, i was just looking for a good (not great), cheap, large TV for my in-laws.

9. binary visions

binary visions The voice of reason

Rep/Likes:
    83 / 361
    Yeah... the thing is that you can pick out a lot of cheap, large TVs that look good in HD. If they don't watch primarily HD sources, though, it really might look like ass. It's not the difference between a great TV and a fantastic TV, it's the difference between a really bad viewing experience and a good one.

Also depends on their viewing distance, though. My Olevia TV has only a mediocre upconverter but our sofa is about 10' away from the TV so it's virtually unnoticeable.