Quantcast

Is this a good HDTV?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I'm in the market for a 46" LCD and I don't think that one would be on my shopping list. Obviously here I'm more inclined to a "when in Rome" sort of mindset. I've pretty much decided that any consumer electronics I buy from now on I'm gonna get a 5 year warranty, which here costs between 1-5% of purchase price. The extended warranty for that one is 20% of the cost for only 2 years.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Specs look good, but I noticed when I was shopping that standard definition upscaling was vastly different from brand to brand. After seeing the various differences, I'm not sure I'd buy a TV without seeing it in person.

Also, I wonder what the actual contrast ratio is? 8000:1 is their marketing fluff number.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Specs look good and the reviews I found on the web are positive. However, quality is subjective, especially if it's your first big screen. I'd make some calls around town and like Binary said, see if you can see one in person.

It's $100 cheaper at Newegg.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
as BV said, never by an HDTV without seeing an SD signal on it in person if you plan on watching SD tv. They go from spectacular, to utter ****, often within the same brand.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
as BV said, never by an HDTV without seeing an SD signal on it in person if you plan on watching SD tv. They go from spectacular, to utter ****, often within the same brand.
Excellent advice!

However, i was just looking for a good (not great), cheap, large TV for my in-laws.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yeah... the thing is that you can pick out a lot of cheap, large TVs that look good in HD. If they don't watch primarily HD sources, though, it really might look like ass. It's not the difference between a great TV and a fantastic TV, it's the difference between a really bad viewing experience and a good one.

Also depends on their viewing distance, though. My Olevia TV has only a mediocre upconverter but our sofa is about 10' away from the TV so it's virtually unnoticeable.