Quantcast

Is this bad juju?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
So there is this little Stumpjumper Pro that has been sitting in a rack near my work for over 6 months. The tires are dead, rust is starting in, and it is covered in dust. My curiosity got to me, and I asked a guy who works at that building, and he said it was theirs (It is a recreation facility) and they were loaning them (They had a few more) out to interested parties, but the program is dead (No more $$), and I said "Well, heck, you should hook me up with this bike for my kid, I will take good care of it." He said no, they had plans for the bike, and I let it go at that.
3 weeks later it is still there, hasnt been moved or touched. It is unsecured (No lock) and stares at me every time I go by, saying "Please take me, fix me up, and give me to someone who will ride me."
Do I-
a. Walk away
b. Ask again
c. Just take the d@mn thing because no one cares or will notice? (This is bad juju...)
(BTW, yeah I hate bike theives too, but this falls under "abandoned property"...or am I rationalizing?)

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I'm guessing that sort of thing will come back to bite you on the arse in the military. If it goes missing they'd have a pretty good idea of where to look. Best keep it above aboard and ask if you can take it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You asked once, if it just disappears, they'll know where to look.

Plus, kind of a bad example for your kid, isn't it? You either have to lie to him about where you got it or tell him you took it, and somehow it was okay for you, but he shouldn't ever do it...

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
imagine how your kid will feel seeing the bike daddy just gave him being taken back by the cops who are cuffing daddy!

not a good idea... Keep it on the up and up, and everyone wins, take it and your MTB'ing luck will never be the same....

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Take it, fix it up, and then put it back, then somebody might get off their ass and actually ride it. It sounds like it's supposed to be a loaner, only nobody is actually going to ride it if it has two flat tires and is covered in rust.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
Go talk to the boss of the guy you talked to the first time, make them an offer. BV makes a very good point about setting an example for your kids.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
You asked. If they say yes, fine. If not, it doesn't create an imbalance in the universe to have bikes that aren't ridden. I know we want to think it does, but a biking rotting in a rack won't change the path the world is on. :think:

Sure it would be nice for you to have it, but the suggestion to talk to his boss is the dumbest freaking thing I have ever read here. If my boss were to ever give something of mine away, whether I use it or not, I'll stuff his nuts under his toe nails.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
You asked. If they say yes, fine. If not, it doesn't create an imbalance in the universe to have bikes that aren't ridden. I know we want to think it does, but a biking rotting in a rack won't change the path the world is on. :think:

Sure it would be nice for you to have it, but the suggestion to talk to his boss is the dumbest freaking thing I have ever read here. If my boss were to ever give something of mine away, whether I use it or not, I'll stuff his nuts under his toe nails.
Your reading comprehension sucks, it wasn't the employee's bike - it belongs to the organization. So by going to his boss, you'll be more likely to reach someone with the authority to make a decision.

:bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

Go back to the top and try again.....

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Your reading comprehension sucks, it wasn't the employee's bike - it belongs to the organization. So by going to his boss, you'll be more likely to reach someone with the authority to make a decision.

:bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

Go back to the top and try again.....
I stand corrected. I suggest he take it then. Stick it to the man when you have a chance.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Yeah, not taking it without permission from "the Man"...D@MN THE MAN! Hes had his thumb on my back for years...
I think I was more just venting about the fact that a nice little scoot was being neglected and my grommet could put it to good use. It may end up in my garage sooner or later. Stay tuned for updates, kiddies!

Jabuttri

Monkey
Sep 16, 2005
Bellingham & Portland
As a victim of bike theft as well as having unknowingly bought a stolen bike when I was 16, I say leave the thing and stay out of trouble. Things like that make you get smart real quick.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Technically, because it is not secured, it would not be theft...
It also qualifies as abandined property, because it has been left unattended for over over 30 days. But...
It has bad juju written all over it, and as I said, I am leaving it until I am cleared by someone in charge to take it. Gotta go call GW, this has to fit in somewhere in the GWOT...