Quantcast

Is this illegal?

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Saw a roadie decked out in spandex, nice carbon bike, riding at a fast cadence...then I realized that only one hand is on the bar and he's chatting on his cell phone. I don't want to get into an ethical debate, but just started to wonder if he could be pulled and over and ticketed for not being on a hand-free in NYS considering that they have to follow the rules of the road. Anyone know?

Fshflys

Monkey
Jun 29, 2005
I made some guy in a Porsche hang up his phone yesterday afternoon, wasn't paying attention at the light when it turned green, he just sat there talking. Layed on the horn until he hung the damn thing up.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I wonder if there is a market for super light (and expensive) carbon or titanium shelled phones for weight weenies?

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
Saw a young kid, 10 years old?, a couple of days ago talking on his phone while riding with no helmet on(in Maryland he has to have a helmet on). Even though he was on the sidewalk i thought it was one of the dumbest things I've seen in a while.

BikerBoy28

Monkey
Jul 3, 2006
Bellingham, Wa
rigidhack said:
If roadies can be pulled over for speeding, (which can & does happen) then you can probably assume they are subject to all the rules of the road.
They can get pulled over for SPEEDING!?! HAHAHAHA!!!:rofl:

*100th post!*

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
BikerBoy28 said:
They can get pulled over for SPEEDING!?! HAHAHAHA!!!:rofl:

*100th post!*

Same rules/laws apply to bikes and cars in most states. On one hand it sucks for the cyclist because you can get ticketed for running a red light :-)wave: ), but on the other hand you are validated as a real entity in the eyes of the law if anything happens to you.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i almost got a speeding ticket on a bike once. the cop actually stopped me cuz I was doing 50 in a 35. He let me off just because he was impressed I was going so fast on a bike and he'd never seen anything like that before (and he probably didn't know the law either)

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
so, i dont ride road, but i ride urban assault. . . i know i'm supposed to obey traffic signs and such, but i never ever do. what's the legal situation there? has anybody here ever been given traffic tickets doing that kind of riding?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
skatetokil said:
so, i dont ride road, but i ride urban assault. . . i know i'm supposed to obey traffic signs and such, but i never ever do. what's the legal situation there? has anybody here ever been given traffic tickets doing that kind of riding?
I hit a jew while wearing a nazi arm band and got charged with vehicular genocide.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
skatetokil said:
It all has to do with enforcement. I got a ticket running a stop sign in Redwood City, which is next to Palo Alto, the most bike-nazi city in America.

In SF, it could be either way. I remember a traffic sting, where they sent a pedestrian decoy back and forth thru a crosswalk, and any driver who passed by too closely got a ticket. While driving, I also rolled thru 3 stop signs in a row with cops at the intersection, but if there are 3 cop cars in my neighborhood, that usually means a real police action is taking place.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
BurlyShirley said:
I hit a jew while wearing a nazi arm band and got charged with vehicular genocide.
Throw his ass down the well! Then your village can be free!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
bluebug32 said:
Saw a roadie decked out in spandex, nice carbon bike, riding at a fast cadence...then I realized that only one hand is on the bar and he's chatting on his cell phone. I don't want to get into an ethical debate, but just started to wonder if he could be pulled and over and ticketed for not being on a hand-free in NYS considering that they have to follow the rules of the road. Anyone know?
I ride usually about 10 hours a week on the road, and I do take calls when I ride. I push my luck sometimes, but mostly I use common sense when I talk on the phone.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
It just annoys me that some people can't engage in any type of activity without having their cell phone on hand. I just saw that they now have underwater phones for when you're scuba diving....sheesh

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Saw a gal at the gym one day doing leg extensions (Totaly going
through the motion, not even trying) while talking on her cel. I said "Must be a pretty important call" she says "No, why?"
I let it go...

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
JohnE said:
Saw a gal at the gym one day doing leg extensions (Totaly going
through the motion, not even trying) while talking on her cel. I said "Must be a pretty important call" she says "No, why?"
I let it go...
I hate when people walk on the treadmill and yap...it's usually JAPS in their pink exercise outfits

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
johnbryanpeters said:
I got ticketed once for passing over the double yellow (I was passing an Army MP 3/4-ton).

Vergennes, VT police have been ticketing roadies for speeding.
Damn Vergennes police. They've ticketed me before (the traditional driving too fast in my vehicle).

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
bluebug32 said:
In NY or somewhere else?

A bicycle is a vehicle, same rules apply.