Quantcast

is this just a southern thing or do they do this in other places

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
no i'm not talking about inbreeding

when it snows do you see a lot of tractors....today it finally snowed for the first time this winter, and there is only about an inch to a inch in a half, but when i was out driving around i saw at least 5 or 6 tractors, and they didn't even have snow plows, they were just driving around, it seems like in the past every time it snowed this would happen...on a side note at the grocery store i used to work at, there would be a customer that would drive to the store on his lawn mower daily when it snowed, it wasn't even a big lawn mower....is this a common thing in other places, or are we just weird in the south.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I dunno.......Arkansas is a whole 'nother level of "South" than we are.

Tractors, huh? ........Probably a whole lot safer than the crazies in the S10 pickups with a cord of firewood in back for traction......

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
No, they do that here too...to pack down the snow and clear some of the neighborhoods I guess.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
It's a regional southern thing in the winter (AK, TX, LA) Did anybody spread straw down for traction yet? They do that in Texas. Mostly I think it's because most folks aren't comfortable driving their vehicles and feel tractors get traction better. I've driven a lawnmower to the beer store before but only because truck keys had been hidden..

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Tractors, huh? ........Probably a whole lot safer than the crazies in the S10 pickups with a cord of firewood in back for traction......
Those are some of the most dangerous idiots on earth.
Evidently, in their mind, that cord of firewood or the bag of sand means they can drive as if there is not any snow or ice on the road.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
i do it all the time, the tractor is more stable in crappy conditions, when i need to drive down to feed the animals i make sure the tractor is by the house that night. its also fun do do burnouts with turf tyres.

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
Can't say I've ever seen that in texas.. Then again it never snows here. The tractor probably handles better in the snow...

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
It's a regional southern thing in the winter (AK, TX, LA) Did anybody spread straw down for traction yet? They do that in Texas. Mostly I think it's because most folks aren't comfortable driving their vehicles and feel tractors get traction better. I've driven a lawnmower to the beer store before but only because truck keys had been hidden..
After 36 years here, I can safely say we don't put hay down on the roads.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
When it snows here, the whole state shuts down. You'd think two inches was 10 feet!

There are a few people that venture out, those of us that CAN drive in the snow, and mostly those that can't. They think "hey, I've got four wheel drive, I can do what I want!"

What they don't realize is that yeah, they have great traction GOING, but no traction stopping.....

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I've never seen tractors(1), hay(2) or salt(3) used in Texas for ice/snow.

(1)Yikes, we wouldn't leave the house in such abysmal condtions.

(2)That would be a waste of food.

(3)Salt's for food. Sand is for icy roads.

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
I've never seen tractors(1), hay(2) or salt(3) used in Texas for ice/snow.

(1)Yikes, we wouldn't leave the house in such abysmal condtions.

(2)That would be a waste of food.

(3)Salt's for food. Sand is for icy roads.
haha! I think sand is pretty much used only in texas, and i can't say it helps out too much! It turns everything into a freakin mess

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
Seriously, around here we might get one ice event every two or three years. No need to keep a huge pile of salt on hand when everyone can just stay home for ONE day.
I find it quite hysterical when people around here ATTEMPT to get out in the ice... Especially the big bad honkeys in their 4 x 4 vehicles that don't do squat!

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I think it happens in po-dunk anywhere.

A guy in my class who lives about a half hour south of the University of Illinois was talking about how his tractor started on fire driving to class when he was in high school.....

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Allright, now just because it didn't get hay laid down in YOUR part of Texas doesn't mean it doesn't happen. East Texas around Lufkin and Jasper had hay down for an ice storm once or twice, guess they were out of sand.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
This one?

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
haha! I think sand is pretty much used only in texas, and i can't say it helps out too much! It turns everything into a freakin mess
They use sand here in CO too. The sand does help some, if there is not to much snow the mag chloride mixed with the sand helps more. For the most part clearing snow off the roads here does not seem like much of a priority. In the past two months I think the road to work has been clear pavement maybe a dozen times.