Quantcast

Is this normal for a Boxxer?

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
This isnt a problem.. (which I think) but Ive just noticed that when I rebuild my Boxxer wc, the Oil ( 15 wt) that would sit in the lower leg of the Air side would somehow seep into the Solo Air chamber. When ever I take the lowers off, oil comes out from the lowers from the rebound side, but only about 5 drops from the Air side, and When I take apart the Solo Air the Oil is all packed in there.

Is this Normal? The only bad thing I can think of that might occur is me not getting full travel.

thanks

Hwang

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yep I've noticed that too, it's because the "plug" in the bottom of the solo air leg is sealed much higher up (to reduce volume in the actual solo air chamber), the faux seal head that sits in the base of the stanchion has no seal, so oil can enter the cavity between the fake seal head and the real one.

The oil isn't actually entering the solo air assembly, if that was the case you'd have the opposite issue as well (ie. spring air leaking into lowers - which would be obvious)... so you aren't going to lose travel. What will happen is that if there's no oil in the lower leg on that side, bushing wear will be greatly accelerated and stiction will also increase.

So I'd suggest putting a fresh 15ml of bushing lube oil into the air side AFTER the base of the solo air assembly has consumed your original dose of lube. At least that way you know the bushings are staying lubed. It's worth checking (and changing that oil) 3-monthly anyway, which is a good way to make sure it's always there.

Hope that helps.

PS, MobileChernobyl, you're an idiot - that's not even remotely funny. :twitch:

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
Thanks alot!

It doesn't bother me at all just that I was wondering if it was just my boxxer that was doing this, or was it a whole Universal kinda ordeal.

So just keep on adding 15 wt oil in the lower even when oil is already in the air chamber.?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Ah you shouldn't have to keep adding it - there's a small cavity that will hold some oil like I said, beyond that it has nowhere to go. So you should only have to re-add the oil once. Basically, every time you check the lower oil (only via tapping the loosened foot-bolts until the old oil can come out) make sure 15ml goes back in. You can actually run about 20ml safely, no more though.

If you do this process a few times and each time only 5 drops come out, then you've got an issue. On mine I had to "top it up" once, and since then every time I've checked the oil, an equal amount (roughly 18ml) has fallen out of each side of the lowers.

I syringe the oil in (footbolts removed, shaft/s tapped down - a long 8mm bolt will help tap the shaft down deep, and also help recover it again once you are done syringing the oil in).

Don't forget to allow ~half the air in the lowers to escape before doing up the footbolts again - compress it 80mm or so. This will stop the fork ramping up overly and/or blowing seals. You probably knew all that but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah, I assume you're compressing with the shafts pushed away from the lower leg (so air can escape) right?

If you compress 160mm, they won't return to 203mm travel when you compress and release the fork because there's too much negative air (in the lowers) sucking the fork down.

That's what should happen anyway if you compressed them that much. I think 100mm is a good starting point, less or more depending on taste I guess.

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
I always preferred the Softest ride possible, with bottoming probably 1 or 2 times.

I weigh 150, maybe 155 with all my riding gear.

Recently I looked back and noticed that I might have set my fork alittle too soft... I had 110 psi with 3 clicks of LSC 2 turns of HSC with the fork burped at 160 mm.

I will try to Burp the lowers only 100 mm next time starting from there with 115 psi and 2 clicks of LSC and still 2 turns of HSC.

thanks alot for your help Udi your the best :clapping::clapping::clapping: