Quantcast

Is This Safe?? (and pics)

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
is it safe to run my stem like this with 6 spacers under it? i've ran a similar set up on my 20" but i have seen a pic of someone snapping a steerer that way..although i believe his was aluminum. i think it should be fine but i could be wrong.

also, some random pics before i decided to switch it up today..

spliffy

Monkey
Dec 10, 2007
DURANGO Colorado
man personaly i would slam my stem and run a bar with more rise and a stem with more rise before doing that. Are you trying to keep the stear tube long on the fork for resale or use on another bike. It should be ok but for a jump bike you could run in to more problems. As i said if it was me i would run a 3 inch rise bar with a 15 degree rise stem to get your barsat that hieght.

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Should be ok. Just be positive you have plenty of steerer in the stem it self and that both the bolts are tight. Your also better off swapping 4 or so of the lowest few spaces for one taller spacer. However you are best just to get some taller bars.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
I think you'll be fine, although replacing the numerous separate spacers with one will keep it more rigid if you really want to keep that rise... The steel steerer on your rigid Rebate might be able to take it just fine... but like you said, you saw those pics of the guy who snapped off his Manitou Gold Label with too many spacers, so it is possible.

I'd say cutting it would be a good idea though, but not necessary.

I feel bad having just sold you those bars with everyone here telling you to go out and buy new ones now, right off that bat. Too bad those Solids didn't have a more wrist friendly bend to them.
But you know, it's always easy for someone else to tell others to just go buy new things, doesn't always work out that easy... So hey, just go buy yourself a new bike now, it'll solve all those problems, haha.... ;)

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
I think you'll be fine, although replacing the numerous separate spacers with one will keep it more rigid if you really want to keep that rise... The steel steerer on your rigid Rebate might be able to take it just fine... but like you said, you saw those pics of the guy who snapped off his Manitou Gold Label with too many spacers, so it is possible.

I'd say cutting it would be a good idea though, but not necessary.

I feel bad having just sold you those bars with everyone here telling you to go out and buy new ones now, right off that bat. Too bad those Solids didn't have a more wrist friendly bend to them.
But you know, it's always easy for someone else to tell others to just go buy new things, doesn't always work out that easy... So hey, just go buy yourself a new bike now, it'll solve all those problems, haha.... ;)

nah no worries man. did you get my PM over MTBR just letting you know everything got here well and all? i actually put the Solids back on tonight. had them on before and really liked the rise and even the width felt nice, just like you said kind of an odd bend for the wrists. with the pimp bars i kind of had to run them up way high for it to be comfortable on my lower back which started acting up recently(been stretching more before i ride though which is helping). after riding the Solids all day i'm liking them again and they should be on for a while. i still have 4 spacers under the stem just for giggles, but it should be safer. will post pics soon..:monkeydance: