Quantcast

***Is this the Monday GMT?***

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The eclipse was actually interesting to experience.
Yeah, I've looked at pictures, time lapses and stories about others, but damn, seeing it in person was something else.

That last twinkle of bright ass sun and then bam, it's gone.

And then it's dark out. It was really cool to see the stars as well, I didn't really expect that.

This is during the totality. After I took this, I put the phone down and just let my mind capture it.

Compared to the pic I posted earlier, it's a good comparison of how dark it gets.

Hopefully Mr Edible @SkaredShtles got in on the action.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hi all

I skied. Was fun

shall moonlight a few hours tonight. Shuttling eldest kid to string ensemble rehearsal at moment (waiting for it to be done, that is. Not driving right now)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Yeah, I've looked at pictures, time lapses and stories about others, but damn, seeing it in person was something else.

That last twinkle of bright ass sun and then bam, it's gone.

And then it's dark out. It was really cool to see the stars as well, I didn't really expect that.

This is during the totality. After I took this, I put the phone down and just let my mind capture it.

Compared to the pic I posted earlier, it's a good comparison of how dark it gets.

Hopefully Mr Edible @SkaredShtles got in on the action.
Yup. We got really fuckin lucky. Did some weather chasing this morning, then ended at a park in the bustling metropolis of Walnut Springs.

Then things cooperated fully and we got a cloudless viewing of the entire totality.

When that last sliver disappears and you take the glasses off and gaze at the mind-blowingly cool black hole sun... fkn'a.

Totally worth it. Now nearly back to Amarillo. Long day...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yup. We got really fuckin lucky. Did some weather chasing this morning, then ended at a park in the bustling metropolis of Walnut Springs.

Then things cooperated fully and we got a cloudless viewing of the entire totality.

When that last sliver disappears and you take the glasses off and gaze at the mind-blowingly cool black hole sun... fkn'a.

So wait you really went to texas.... on purpose? For this?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Been on the go since I woke up getting things organized for my hike. Was my old man’s 86th birthday today. Dinner at the local steakhouse was a hit. Le tired. Going to bed early. Gotta get used to being in bed by hiker midnight (9:00pm).

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Sweet. Yeah same story here with the weather. Cloudy and kind of rainy this morning, then this magical sliver of blue sky opened from 2:30-4pm.

And yeah you were right when you posted a few weeks ago about. To me, at least, it's out of this world looking. Can't really describe the awe of it. Might seem dorky to some.

But I can see why it fucked with some civilizations in the past.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons

Did you get any BBQ?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Did you get any BBQ?
Yup - stopped at the Natty Flat Smokehouse. Wife's pulled pork was much better than my sliced brisket... but I'm no BBQ connoisseur. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

His edibles hasn't kicked in yet.

I assume. :busted:
My buddy gave me some homemade chocolate truffles. I'm a little skeered. :drag:

He must eaten a lot of them to decide to go to Texas
You're not far off... but the eclipse and dinner with my mate in FTW made it not terrible.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The wife scored Royel Otis tickets for 10/20 at the Crystal Ballroom. It's a Sunday night, so I might be taking Monday off because I'm old..

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
so we stopped on the way home from the beach so everyone could pile out of the car to spaz out about whatever percent of the eclipse we were in. i just sat in the car and waited until they all got back in and settled down. really do not get the hype. to each their own i guess. mostly just happy to be home and to try to have a few "normal" weeks (as far as continuing to accommodate wife's healing neck can be "normal" goes) before dumb shit like older kid graduating, dad visiting, summer shenanigans, etc. kick in. can it please be post-labor day already?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
so we stopped on the way home from the beach so everyone could pile out of the car to spaz out about whatever percent of the eclipse we were in. i just sat in the car and waited until they all got back in and settled down. really do not get the hype. to each their own i guess. mostly just happy to be home and to try to have a few "normal" weeks (as far as continuing to accommodate wife's healing neck can be "normal" goes) before dumb shit like older kid graduating, dad visiting, summer shenanigans, etc. kick in. can it please be post-labor day already?
Have you ever seen a total eclipse?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Have you ever seen a total eclipse?
yeah it came right the fuck across here in 2017 and we went down to sc to see it and it got dark for a bit and then went back to normal. meh. probably should have been riding my bike in the hills or something. did you have a life changing experience in texas or would you rather have been skiing sweet sweet spring pow pow or something?

#grumpieroldmanthanyou

#getoffmylawn

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
yeah it came right the fuck across here in 2017 and we went down to sc to see it and it got dark for a bit and then went back to normal. meh. probably should have been riding my bike in the hills or something. did you have a life changing experience in texas or would you rather have been skiing sweet sweet spring pow pow or something?

#grumpieroldmanthanyou

#getoffmylawn
I think you may be dead inside. :D

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons

#grumpieroldmanthanyou

#getoffmylawn
You’re So Vain.

heh.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
never seen a total solar eclipse, close but not quite. Best thing was a total Lunar eclipse that we did not know was going to happen. Backpacked into Monache Meadows on the Kern Plateau near Olancha peak in the Sierras. 8000 feet up 75F laying out on the warm sand banks of the Kern River and stoned out of our minds we watched the moon turn dark red and all the stars come out. Best fucking trip on Mushrooms ever

Last edited: