Quantcast

is this the most rediculous thing you've ever heard?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
OK, so I've had my trainer now for about 2 weeks. I'm really enjoying it, and have no problems getting in at least 30 minutes most days. This past week I did 6 sessions and racked up about 80 miles - a lot more than I was expecting I'd ever get out of the trainer in a single week.

Anyways... most of my time is spent mindlessly spinning while watching a movie. It's a great workout, but I know I'm not getting the most out of my workouts. For the most part, I'm going to continue with the mindless spins, but I'd like to make one session a week a true workout. So here's what I'm thinking...

On the next nice day (i.e. sunny and dry), I'm going to setup my video camera on a tripod in teh passenger seat of my truck, then go drive a few of my local ride routes. I'd burn the video to DVD, then throw it up on the big screen while I spin to simulate a typical ride. I'd increase the resistance on uphill sections and decrease it on the downhills. I'd bve watching it on a 6' screen, so I might even be able to "get lost" in the ride at times.

So, whadya think? Completely dumb, or worth trying. I figure it will only cost me ac couple of hours, a few gallons of gas, and a blank DVD.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Sounds fine.

I know plenty of people who train to old road race videos or the recent tour stuff.

Personally I'd just move to California :) 120 miles yesterday, off to do 40 or so today to loosen up the legs.

The Ito