Quantcast

Is this the same stem???

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Obviously not. The one on the bottom has a completely different paintjob. I highly doubt someone took that same stem and painted it twice.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Dirty said:
the top one is a 1.5 while the bottom is a 1 1/8
:confused:

The top one sure doesn't look like 1.5 to me...

Loco, that's interesting - it wouldn't be out of the question that FSA is buying a generic Taiwan stem and branding it as their own. Seems funny, though, I don't know of any other products they do that with.

J

JRB

Ding - we have a winner. I just realized that Gravity is a product line for FSA. Interesting. I wish FSA would use black face plates too.

J

JRB

binary visions said:
:confused:

The top one sure doesn't look like 1.5 to me...

Loco, that's interesting - it wouldn't be out of the question that FSA is buying a generic Taiwan stem and branding it as their own. Seems funny, though, I don't know of any other products they do that with.
From FSA's website for the Gravity stem -

Gravity
Cold-forged and CNC machined from AL6061/T6
Ball-milled CNC detail
3-bolt steerer tube clamping
4-bolt cold-forged front clamp
Handlebar clamp sizes: Ø25.4 or Ø31.8
Sizes: 1 1/8 40mm, 60mm x 10 degree 31.8
Sizes: 1 1/8 60mm x 10 degree 25.4
Sizes: 1.5 60mm x 10 degree 31.8
46mm fork clamp stack height
290 grams

But you are right about sourcing stuff. I am sure there are like 5 plants over there that do it all. We may not think there are, but when you actually go there, there aren't that many different manufacturers for different products.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
loco said:
But you are right about sourcing stuff. I am sure there are like 5 plants over there that do it all. We may not think there are, but when you actually go there, there aren't that many different manufacturers for different products.
A suprising amount of bike stuff is just raw items ordered out of a catalogue with a manufacturer-specific paintjob and stickers. Azonic's bikes in past years have just been Taiwan catalogue frames with their name slapped on it.

J

JRB

binary visions said:
A suprising amount of bike stuff is just raw items ordered out of a catalogue with a manufacturer-specific paintjob and stickers. Azonic's bikes in past years have just been Taiwan catalogue frames with their name slapped on it.
Yeah - I guess that's why there is so much attrition in companies frame availabilty, like i have seen with so many of them.

J

JRB

madbob said:
buy spray paint.
I could hang it on the powder line, but really don't care too much. Just sayin'. How long did you tell me that Titec stem was?? I may send you some dough for shipping since I was too dumb to check it before you left.

J

JRB

madbob said:
it's a "knock rated" Titec El norte. I'm pretty sure it's a 50mm came stock on the Flow that I bought that day it hailed in April on the way home......
ugh - wrong way. I think I need longer on the urban bike. I'd really like an 85mm, but may just try an 80 or 90mm, since they are pretty easy to find.

J

JRB

stosh said:
So you wear chick pants!!

Do you ride with a stem that short?
Read the f*cking thread. :mad:

I don't wear chick's pants, but I do let my thong poke out of the top of my pants. Does that make up for it???

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
loco said:
Read the f*cking thread. :mad:

I don't wear chick's pants, but I do let my thong poke out of the top of my pants. Does that make up for it???
Damn I missed that post.

Hrmmm I'm thinking I may need a short stem lately.

J

JRB

stosh said:
Damn I missed that post.

Hrmmm I'm thinking I may need a short stem lately.
Based on the insults about your lack of balls, I just assumed that you already had a short stem. :think:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
loco said:
Based on the insults about your lack of balls, I just assumed that you already had a short stem. :think:
I was going to instert a joke about your wife enjoying it but I decided not to.

J

JRB

stosh said:
I was going to instert a joke about your wife enjoying it but I decided not to.
haha - what length stem are you running??? Plan to switch to???

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
loco said:
haha - what length stem are you running??? Plan to switch to???
Well the stem I'm currenly running worked great on my 18" trek but now with my 19" frame I feel like I'm reaching a touch to much. I actually don't know the length of my current stem, I would say about 100mm.